Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #81
bdamico

Default Re: Blue Saber Cabinet Install / Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsy View Post
I have a quick question, can someone who has the bottom cabinets measure the height (clearance) inside the small drawer? The website says it's 2.48", but the face of the drawer is 3.46". I know I'm talking about the difference of less than an inch, but I'm wondering how much of that inch is on the top side which would presumably be usable and how much is on the bottom side which would be unusable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
so actual drawer depth
bdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #82
hnsy

Yes, exactly

hnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #83
bdamico

seems like right around 3"
bdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #84
hnsy

That's really helpful, thanks so much!

hnsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #85
scatkins

Just finished my saber cabinet install. Many thanks to bdamico and those in their threads which helped me in my planning. .

A quick review: (will add pics later)

Summary of install..
All in Red...
8 Upper cabinets
3 48" Cabinets
3 30" Cabinets
5 Base Cabinets (two 6 drawer, three 4 drawer) to create a 6 unit wide bench
Lumber liquidator maple Butcher block x 2 to cover the 6 wide bench area.

What I liked:
1) Reasonably good overall quality... the 19 AWG generally has a good feel (with exception noted later).
2) Finish on fronts of cabinets, based and storage lockers is pretty good. A garage full like mine definitely gets an "ohhh" from the neighbors
3) Good packaging for delivery, no damage suffered
4) Dealing with Saber was easy and Dean was very accommodating while I was futzing around with last minute changes.
5) Good value.

What I didn't like:
1) Tolerance stack-up seems to at time be a little lacking, mainly on the 30" and 48" lockers. In general it won't be much of a problem when you are doing singles, but things can get a little out of whack when you have 3 or 4 of these side by side and aligned with other bases and uppers. Part of it is simply walls and sills that aren't straight, but that isn't the entire problem...In general you can work with it if you are mechanically adept.

2) Another related problem was that I ended up with locker doors that simply didn't close perfectly flush.. A couple of cabinets I had I just endlessly struggled and it ended up being a combination of the tolerances and combination of things that puts a little "twist" in the structure. I'm pretty good at adjusting such things, but at times it was a challenge I think because of having several cabinets side by side. And then when you bolt them together things get tweaked a little.

3) The use of "captured nuts" in certain places (especially the bottoms of the lockers) would be a welcome enhancement.. Something that you notice and start to appreciate when you put lots of these together.

4) Each assembly item (upper / locker) comes with "exactly" the qty of hardware you need. But adding an extra nut or screw to each would have cost pennies and saved from scrounging. To be fair for the set of cabinets I was not shorted any hardware (which amazed me) but I did get a few defect sheet metal screws.. But these things are expensive enough it would have added pennies to add an extra nut and screw.. Saves a trip to home depot when that bolt rolls away never to be found again

5) Rollers/slides on drawers are "OK".. not great. But they start feeling a bit bogged down when you load up a 4" drawer with a full set of sockets (1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 in Metric and SAE, Shallow and Tall. I can tell I'm at max capacity. Thinking about replacing the slides on this drawer..

6) In-sides left and right vertical surfaces of 30" locker (where shelves attach and attachment to the front doors) seem a bit thin. Thinner than on the 48" and when you first put the doors on they "pop" a bit when flexing which makes it feel cheap. But it settles down a bit once you get the shelves in. . But this interior sidewalls look to be thinner than that of the 48" where i didn't experience that.

7) I don't really like the backs on the lockers or cabinets which get bolted together. It provides strength and I suppose is part of the rigid structure/load but it eats about 1/2" from the cabinet depth right in the center. That isn't terrible but the resulting gap on each side allows small stuff to roll off the back which is irritating since it falls all the way to the bottom.

8) Bottom/floor of both the 48" and 30" has a "cover" over the bottom piece which presumably functions as a bottom shelf. Unfortunately, the first time you put any spot weight on it it just bends and warps.. It can't take the weight that the normal shelves take. This is a design flaw in the panel design that reduces the load handling of the bottom "shelf" and could be easily fixed. Not a major problem but glaring and irritating. When I bent, it was definitely a WTF? moment. I find this especially annoying because it is on the bottom that I tend to want to put heavy things and as designed handles the least load.

Conclusion and final comments:

While it sounds like I have a long gripe list, but overall I'm very satisfied. I mention these items not to discourage buying but as a suggestion to Saber from someone who put a lot of these together. Some small enhancements that add virtually no cost could make a good product even better and easier to assemble.

Another interesting nuance (that at first I didn't like) was that under the upper cabinets (e.g. the bottom exterior surface) there is a wasted area resulting from the bottom structure (e.g. bottom of uppers is not smooth).. But in reality this works out very well for mounting lighting, running power etc. So what initially surprised me turned out to be a good thing.

I would definitely recommend the product and wouldn't hesitate to go with them again.

Wish list of new items for product line:

1) Full depth uppers (same as lockers) that are 24" deep and not the shorter 17".. This is sort of what the two door base is, but would be taller (eg 42" or half of the lockers).

2) Corner units for both base and uppers. - This is sorely lacking and prevents installing around corners of garage effectively. Most manufactures have these.

3) 8 Drawer Base - all with smaller 2" drawers.

Last edited by scatkins; 06-12-2017 at 06:14 PM.
scatkins is offline   Reply With Quote