Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #141
classicJackets

Default Re: Money2536's "The Temporary Garage" Journal

I love it! The new stuff really is subtle but makes an awesome statement at the same time. The pictures with your GT3 in there really make both the car and the garage pop. Excited to see where you go from here, even if it's just organization!
Doug
classicJackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:27 PM   #142
Hagasan7

Great looking setup! Clean and functional. Between you, dubbed and 55Cadillacking the rest of us look like slackers!

Noticed you were in Florida. Ever get any work done at PSI? I've got a Brembo BBK that needs to get installed on my E92 M3 and although I love working on my own vehicles (OCD), finding time is the challenge.
Hagasan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-20-2015, 10:53 PM   #143
Money2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagasan7 View Post
Great looking setup! Clean and functional. Between you, dubbed and 55Cadillacking the rest of us look like slackers!

Noticed you were in Florida. Ever get any work done at PSI? I've got a Brembo BBK that needs to get installed on my E92 M3 and although I love working on my own vehicles (OCD), finding time is the challenge.
I know Sean and the guys at PSI well. We all just went to Ultimate Auto's Cars and Coffee this weekend.
Money2536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #144
Money2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicJackets View Post
I love it! The new stuff really is subtle but makes an awesome statement at the same time. The pictures with your GT3 in there really make both the car and the garage pop. Excited to see where you go from here, even if it's just organization!
Doug
Thanks Doug! I worked all day on organizing. I'll get some photos up tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:58 PM   #145
Money2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
Your garage is coming along fantastic. I really like those cabinets and I would be just like you, having a hard time not filling up the empty drawers.

By the way do you do the same detail process on your wife's Explorer? My wife has the same color Explorer and I've not found something to make the flakes really pop. Also what do you use for the black trim on her car? I've noticed some of the pictures in the background of her car and I would love to know more of what you use.
Part of the deal with my wife is that I'm not allowed to wash her Explorer. I compromised with her, and she allowed me to do a single step polish and opti-coat right after we picked it up. I polished the Black trim with Menzerna SF4000 and a heavier foam polishing pad. Then coated with opti-coat. I really don't like opti-coat, but the car goes to a drive through car wash every once in a while. It's hard for me to look at the car, but I leased it for this reason. That way I can spend more time on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenJ View Post
You have done a great job on this transformation. What is the depth of the SS work surface?
Thanks! It's 24" deep. http://sabercabinets.com/b_Work-Tops.html
Old 01-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #146
bonecrrusher

I go away for a few days - and BAM big update.

Nice looking garage setup - you assembling your garage is the polar opposite of what I'm doing... I'm taking everything down and putting it away in storage for the next 6 months...

Love the tv placement amongst the boxes - I plan on doing something similiar.

Question for you - do you know what the psi rating is on the Swiss Trax? I ask because I work on my 7k lb Duramax diesel in my garage - and well that thing is a heavy SOB sitting on jack stands.

Garage 2.0 - Triple build:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=276996

2005 Chevrolet Corvette
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2014 Chevrolet SS
bonecrrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #147
bmw57isetta

Money2636: I've looked at wall cabinets for my newly reno'ed garage until I'm crosseyed and was dead set on the Genevas. Then I read your outstanding thread. You've stated in at least a couple of places that the Sabers were superior to the Genevas. I'm not going to be storing straight-eight Buick engine blocks or need anything approaching Listas. I would appreciate it if you could speak to the difference in quality. I want to do this one time and do it right. The price range is not an issue.

Thanks for posting a thread that should be the gold standard for others to follow. Beautiful job on the garage and photojournalism. If this is temporary, I can't wait to see the permanent one.
bmw57isetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #148
slik560

I wonder how soon Saber's prices will skyrocket due to the sudden and massive inventory depletion at the hands of GJ members?
2003 MB ML320
2006 Mini S [R53]
slik560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:44 PM   #149
BeachBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecrrusher View Post
Question for you - do you know what the psi rating is on the Swiss Trax? I ask because I work on my 7k lb Duramax diesel in my garage - and well that thing is a heavy SOB sitting on jack stands.
look: http://www.swisstrax.com/swisstrax-g...oor-videos.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=DhEoRj9XSqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm0YsMgZFvM
BeachBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:09 PM   #150
Money2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecrrusher View Post
I go away for a few days - and BAM big update.

Nice looking garage setup - you assembling your garage is the polar opposite of what I'm doing... I'm taking everything down and putting it away in storage for the next 6 months...

Love the tv placement amongst the boxes - I plan on doing something similiar.

Like Beachboy posted, the tiles are rated at 50,000 lbs. I've jacked up my wife Explorer Sport on it (5,000ish lbs.) without the flooring making a peep.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #151
Accel Junky

Echoing my sentiment from Bimmerpost, looking very clean and surgical! And man am I jealous of that GT3! I wish they still had the manual and I wish I had the money...but I'll have to live vicariously on this one.

I noticed the bucket lift for the wall cabinet mounting and let out a hearty chuckle because I did the same thing! I couldn't figure out how else to do the last cabinet after I use the other cabs on their side to mount each other.

Accel Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #152
Money2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw57isetta View Post
Money2636: I've looked at wall cabinets for my newly reno'ed garage until I'm crosseyed and was dead set on the Genevas. Then I read your outstanding thread. You've stated in at least a couple of places that the Sabers were superior to the Genevas. I'm not going to be storing straight-eight Buick engine blocks or need anything approaching Listas. I would appreciate it if you could speak to the difference in quality. I want to do this one time and do it right. The price range is not an issue.

Thanks for posting a thread that should be the gold standard for others to follow. Beautiful job on the garage and photojournalism. If this is temporary, I can't wait to see the permanent one.
I can't stress this more, Saber is far superior to Geneva with one exception. The locking mechanism is better. I should have taken side by side photos of them before I gave them away. Just trust me on this one. Saber is better having had the Genevas for 5 years or so.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:55 PM   #153
Money2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
Echoing my sentiment from Bimmerpost, looking very clean and surgical! And man am I jealous of that GT3! I wish they still had the manual and I wish I had the money...but I'll have to live vicariously on this one.

I noticed the bucket lift for the wall cabinet mounting and let out a hearty chuckle because I did the same thing! I couldn't figure out how else to do the last cabinet after I use the other cabs on their side to mount each other.
That's super funny. I had my jack on the counter top too. The jack couldn't get the cabinet high enough, so I started searching around for something and picked my buckets.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #154
Money2536

Default Oil Change

Just in case you guys were wondering. I actually do some real work in my garage. I had to do a much needed oil change on the wife's SUV.

As I always seem to do, I made a mess with the oil. I simply pulled up the tile and wiped underneath.

Last edited by Money2536; 01-22-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:18 AM   #155
Money2536

Default Organization Version 1.0

All of this crap was in the laundry room cabinets.

More detailing product casualties. I gave a giant pile of stuff to my lawn guys that have a Mustang they race.

I took a few photos of what the drawers currently look like. The cabinets come with the basic liners. This is a work in progress.

The "two month rule" was in full effect. I reorganized the laundry room closets and cabinets as well. The garbage men weren't happy with me this morning.

As you can see, I have like 7 empty drawers and lots of extra space. That was the plan. I will not fill it with crap.

Last edited by Money2536; 01-22-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #156
Hagasan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
I know Sean and the guys at PSI well. We all just went to Ultimate Auto's Cars and Coffee this weekend.

So do they do good work? Should I ask for a certain tech that you'd trust with one of your rides?

Also, noticed you posted "detailing product casualties" I was organizing my cabinets and chucked the bottle of Hydes Rust Stopper." What a waste of money! It really didn't prevent rust on the rotors as advertised.

But what's wrong with the BlackWow and In and Out Spray? BW works well for me and seems to last on my trucks trim. Not needed for the M since it doesn't have the textured black plastic. In and Out doesn't last very long but it works as a quickie.

Again, great job on the garage. My experience is similar to you in that I need to cover up a professionally applied coating that I'm not happy with. May go with Racedeck or Swisstrax based on your feedback.
Hagasan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #157
BeachBoy

I didn't know you like dto have pink fingernails

joking aside, do you think the closet could work without the bottom piece? I would like to have a system where I can roll heavy stuff directly in there instead of lifting over the bump.

not sure if strenght would be ok without that piece.
BeachBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #158
Money2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagasan7 View Post
So do they do good work? Should I ask for a certain tech that you'd trust with one of your rides?

Also, noticed you posted "detailing product casualties" I was organizing my cabinets and chucked the bottle of Hydes Rust Stopper." What a waste of money! It really didn't prevent rust on the rotors as advertised.

But what's wrong with the BlackWow and In and Out Spray? BW works well for me and seems to last on my trucks trim. Not needed for the M since it doesn't have the textured black plastic. In and Out doesn't last very long but it works as a quickie.

Again, great job on the garage. My experience is similar to you in that I need to cover up a professionally applied coating that I'm not happy with. May go with Racedeck or Swisstrax based on your feedback.
PSI is good. They only have two techs, Conner and I forget what the other kid's name is, but they are good.

I bought like 10 cans of In and Out Spray, and I rarely use it. I kept two cans and got rid of the rest. That should last me about 10 years. Black Wow is a little too greasy for my taste. I use Wolf's Trim Coat instead. I need to find a Wolf's importer to get some more.

I would order a sample tile from each to help you make your flooring decision. The best choice I made was putting the Rubbertrax rows in front of the work bench. It makes standing at the bench much more comfortable.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #159
Money2536

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBoy View Post
I didn't know you like dto have pink fingernails

joking aside, do you think the closet could work without the bottom piece? I would like to have a system where I can roll heavy stuff directly in there instead of lifting over the bump.

not sure if strenght would be ok without that piece.
My mom is visiting from PA and insane just like me. She helped me wipe up the oil and organize the laundry room.

I doubt the wide cabinets would be very structurally sound without the bottom attach. You could probably make it work if you flanked both side with other cabinets or pressed it up against the wall, but I don't think it would work well.

Last edited by Money2536; 01-22-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #160
Money2536

Default Yost Vise Install

I've really taken my time deciding where to install the vise. You only get one shot, so I wanted to do it right. I picked up about 6 different kinds of bolts from Home Depot and ended up using 2 1/2" carriage bolts with lock washers.

If you remember from the earlier photos, I actually braced the cabinet to the right of this one. I decided to move it over one cabinet as the vise would have been to close to the wide cabinet. I didn't add the 3/4" extra piece of plywood, because the drawer isn't as deep. I figured I could always add it if counter top came loose.

Let me be honest, the only reason I thought to move the vise over one cabinet is because I decided to put my bookshelf speakers on the counter instead of up higher.

I just bought these bad boys. I'm a huge Dynaudio fan. I love silk dome tweeters. I may end up getting the new X14 for the front and moving the X12 to the rear once I recoup from all of the money spending. Now I just need to find a center and a sub.

I'm right handed and I know the vise is supposed to be installed on the left side of a workbench, but I want my blue vise to match my blue GT3. Sorry...