Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Andy Griffith

Default Add gate to chain link fence

I am going to add a 5' x 5' chain link gate between my shop and the existing chain link/farm fence combo that runs down that side of the shop. It doesn't need to be pretty but it should be strong.

I am going to hinge the gate off of the large corner post of the shop using those large lag bolts intended for such. This should allow the gate to fold back and lay mostly flat against the wall of the shop. This area is narrow and the less posts I have in there the better chance the opening will be wide enough to get a large lawn tractor through without a lot of drama.

I need to add a new terminal post for the latch side and the existing fence will be fastened to this post.

Do people usually just use a little quickcrete mix to put in the hole to secure the terminal post?
Andy Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
pcmeiners

Default Re: Add gate to chain link fence

I do, but I make sure the mix comes a little higher then ground level to keep water from rusting the pipe. "By a little", make sure the pipe is surrounded by the mix, min 12-16" down, depending on the soil.
pcmeiners is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
GreyOwl

Since it will be the latch post as well as the terminal post for the fence, make sure you use the same size post as the corner and I would go at least 24" down with the quickrete for stability. Also to make the base a little stronger, pour the mix in the hole and after a few minutes set the pole. This way you also have mix inside the pole at the bottom.
Charles

Last edited by GreyOwl; 04-25-2011 at 11:26 AM.
GreyOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
Adrien

I'm assuming you don't want to hinge off the existing fence because you don't want to set a latch post? It's your fence, but I just wanted to suggest something. Personally I would prefer to hinge off of the fence and latch on the shop with something like this.

Adrien

My 40x60x16 Build Thread

Adrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
east_tn_emc

I used the quickrete in the red bag...pour it in dry and add water....few hours later...hard as...er, well...concrete :-) (sorry for the pun)

I was adding a gate into an existing fence, so I went to the nearest fence dealer (not big-box store, but fence dealer) and told him I had a 4-foot black coated chain-link fence and I wanted to add a gate. He asked me how big of a gate I wanted and then handed me every part I needed to cut in the fence. I had a package that had the gate, the hinges, the latch, bolts, nuts, the bands to hold the chain mesh, the rods to bold into them and a small can of paint to touch up the bolts and nuts once they were tightened. It was nice because they already knew every single piece I needed and pulled it together for me in about 5 minutes.
east_tn_emc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Andy Griffith

Thanks for the replies. I did a poor job of explaining the situation in the OP, and used some incorrect terms.

The picture below illustrates the situation. The red line is where the gate needs to go and that distance is 6' 4" between the shop wall and the fence, so I'm hoping to find a 6' wide, 5' tall gate to go in that space. My main goal is to keep the clearance width as wide as possible so I can get a riding tractor through there without too much drama. In addition the gate is to keep a medium sized dog contained in the backyard.

There will not be a terminal post in the sense that it will have pressure on it from a stretched fence, other than the weight of the gate itself if used as a gate post, or not even that if used as a latch post and hinge the gate off of the shop wall.

I need to come back later and put a short retaining wall just outside of the fence line as the soil is falling away from the shop over the last 15 years. I probably should put the retaining wall in before hand and then run a new fence and gate but the timing is not going to work out that way.

Might make more sense to install it as Adrien suggested and hinge the gate off a newly installed gate post (2 3/8"?) on the fence-line, then latch it to the shop wall. Rather than hinge the gate off the shop wall using these lag thingies.

I've got a tight corner to make with the tractor as it goes in front of the compressor shed and having the gate on the fence side might make that a bit easier.

Andy Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote