Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
muibubbles

Default what tool is this? cuts round corners in sheet metal

hey im looking to make some business cards out of sheet metal and came across this diy... in it the guy uses this tool that looks like a paper cutter but rounds the corners... anyone know what this is called/know where to buy one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (131.8 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (132.3 KB, 175 views)

1) Buy the biggest forklift you can get your hands on.
Starting a PINK movement, just like Victoria's Secret
Bubble Build
muibubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
ptschram

Default Re: what tool is this? cuts round corners in sheet metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by muibubbles View Post
hey im looking to make some business cards out of sheet metal and came across this diy... in it the guy uses this tool that looks like a paper cutter but rounds the corners... anyone know what this is called/know where to buy one?
Corner notcher with a die to cut the shape you want?
ptschram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
muibubbles

is corner notcher the name of the tool? i wan to round the corners of think aluminum..

Bubble Build
Old 05-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
lametec

Try manual corner rounder.

They're made for paper, though.
lametec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
ptschram

Quote:
Originally Posted by muibubbles View Post
is corner notcher the name of the tool? i wan to round the corners of think aluminum..
Maybe just notcher. Enco (and others) has one that cuts 90' angles out of sheetmetal. Try use-enco.com and search for sheetmetal notcher.

Here you go-one example:http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3
Old 05-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
danski0224

Don't know where it's made: http://www.irvansmith.com/scart/corn...er-p-1098.html
danski0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
Brad54

Just my opinion, but I hate "cool" business cards.
I get a business card from a guy, and 8 out of 10 times I'm writing notes on the back of it on what we talked about, when to call him, what he said, etc.

In 15 years of trading business cards, I still remember all the "cool" ones, because I couldn't stand them: One metal one with round edges (like you want to do), a clear plastic one, a red one with silver foil flames on the back, a gloss black one with a map to their location on the back, and the dark dark navy blue ones our art director ordered... try writing notes or someone's phone number on the back of any of those.

-Brad

Parting out Reed and Columbia vises
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139072
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
ZRX61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
In 15 years of trading business cards, I still remember all the "cool" ones, because I couldn't stand them: One metal one with round edges (like you want to do), a clear plastic one, a red one with silver foil flames on the back, a gloss black one with a map to their location on the back, and the dark dark navy blue ones our art director ordered... try writing notes or someone's phone number on the back of any of those.

-Brad
I use em for shim stock.

Tool Afflictionardo

I'd rather have an "airplane guy" work on my keyboard than have a "keyboard guy" work on my airplane.
ZRX61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
Weps

my choice would be embossed, die cut, ultra thick card stock and at least two colors.

wait, aren't you the chair guy? i'd like to see what you come up with. maybe mini chairs.
Weps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
Shipfittin

Tin knockers

Would love to see the results of your chair if you haven't already posted them.
Shipfittin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
muibubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by danski0224 View Post
awesome! thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
Just my opinion, but I hate "cool" business cards.
I get a business card from a guy, and 8 out of 10 times I'm writing notes on the back of it on what we talked about, when to call him, what he said, etc.

-Brad
Interesting... i never thought of it that way... but then again im pretty young and never had experiences with actual business cards lol... please dont take any offense to this but what is your profession/theirs?

I ask only because i can see it being annoying for those reasons but if it was relevant to the job field, to me, would be a bold statement. Like for me, I'm an industrial design student and looking to get into fabrication as well. To me, i think that is a bold statement when i hand out a buisness card that shows my credentials. I'm striving for the wow factor of, like did he really spend all that time making time and effort into making this card. i dont want to just design my business card, i want to fabricate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weps View Post
my choice would be embossed, die cut, ultra thick card stock and at least two colors.

wait, aren't you the chair guy? i'd like to see what you come up with. maybe mini chairs.
haha yes thats me... Hmmm mini chairs... wonder how much a die to make that would cost....

Bubble Build
Old 05-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #12
mike13u

I disagree with above post and think its a great idea. Its a competitive world, anything that sets you apart. And, yes, Im a professional that uses business cards.
If you work with steel or fabrication i think a thin sheetmetal business card would be very cool. Most business people nowadays immediately load your info in their phone anyway and there are tons of apps that allow the user to just snap a picture of the card and it loads the info into his/her contact list. Yours might be a card they actually hold on to.
Go for it man. Post pics when they are done.
mike13u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #13
metal1313

i have some blue and frosted plastic ones that were a gift from my girlfriends mother. she had them made up for my little side business. they arent cheap, but they get a lot of compliments. i give them to certain types of customers only, the rest get my cheap paper cards.

on the metal cars make sure the sides arent sharp so people dont cut themselves
metal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #14
22rifle

Engravers use these to round off the corners on their engraved plates. My company uses a similar one to make our serial number plates on our portable buildings.
22rifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #15
Shipfittin

It is an interesting idea and I tend to agree with the guys who say to avoid the metal business card. I love to write down things on them myself. To me it's just kinda like the new Bud Light bottles that you can write on. What's the purpose? But if you want to do it, go for it.

Just remember that the business card isn't going to bring work your way. A solid reputation and quality results are what is going to draw in the crowd.

Definitely make it a standard sized business card. If it doesn't fit in the wallet, it hits the trash can.
Shipfittin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #16
Lump
Super Moderator

I know what career field Brad54 is in; as I am in the same field, more or less. Both of us "do" the SEMA show each year, and come home with stacks of business cards. And I TOTALLY understand his preference for regular business cards with regular white backsides. NOBODY can remember all those people and all those B-cards a week after the SEMA show. So, when someone who you actually WANT to remember hands you a card, you immediately scribble a note or two on the back side, so you won't forget. Those darn fancy cards are not good. (And just TRY to board a flight with a handful of them in your briefcase).

My main business is advertising/marketing in the automotive world. My little company makes ads for car magazines, websites, etc, etc. So young graphic arts students, etc, often approach me for a job...especially the ones who like cars. But I always hate to see it when they show up with "clever" ideas, like tricky business cards, personal logos, and nifty art ideas they have conceived. I need solid, hard-working people who are ready to produce materials exactly as the client and I have instructed. And those "clever" types are prone to constantly try to inject their own "clever" ideas into every project I assign them, so they can impress their fellow graphic artist pals. Yecch.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #17
muibubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lump View Post
I know what career field Brad54 is in; as I am in the same field, more or less. Both of us "do" the SEMA show each year, and come home with stacks of business cards. And I TOTALLY understand his preference for regular business cards with regular white backsides. NOBODY can remember all those people and all those B-cards a week after the SEMA show. So, when someone who you actually WANT to remember hands you a card, you immediately scribble a note or two on the back side, so you won't forget. Those darn fancy cards are not good. (And just TRY to board a flight with a handful of them in your briefcase).

My main business is advertising/marketing in the automotive world. My little company makes ads for car magazines, websites, etc, etc. So young graphic arts students, etc, often approach me for a job...especially the ones who like cars. But I always hate to see it when they show up with "clever" ideas, like tricky business cards, personal logos, and nifty art ideas they have conceived. I need solid, hard-working people who are ready to produce materials exactly as the client and I have instructed. And those "clever" types are prone to constantly try to inject their own "clever" ideas into every project I assign them, so they can impress their fellow graphic artist pals. Yecch.
hahahah good point with the getting on a plane with them lol...

but as for the other statement, doesnt it show you how willing and hard working those applying for a job are if they are willing to go the extra mile and make and design a business card? For me, i know i can "buy cards" etc, but being a industrial designer and loving the fabrication aspec, i want to make my cards 100% myself. no out sourcing. to me, this will be like a mini resume...

but then again i know everyones entitled to their own opinion, and the cards themselves could go either way...

just to throw it out there, i "plan" (key word) to cut all the cards out, powder coat them, then silk screen the info on... They will be a little pricey but i want to have paper cards as well and only give the metal ones to potential employers

Bubble Build
Old 05-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #18
Lump
Super Moderator

but as for the other statement, doesnt it show you how willing and hard working those applying for a job are if they are willing to go the extra mile and make and design a business card?
I understand your perspective, and that's cool. I do "get it", and understand where you're coming from. But if I'm telling you the truth, then I must say that MY hiring preferences would steer me away from anyone who tries to show off their "cleverness" to me with cute business cards or etc, during a job interview or casual discussion at a trade show. And I have been self-employed for 31 years, having hired literally dozens and dozens of employees; currently with 9 employees operating three full time businesses. (Staffing swells up to about 100 during my swap meet events).

For me, i know i can "buy cards" etc, but being a industrial designer and loving the fabrication aspec, i want to make my cards 100% myself. no out sourcing. to me, this will be like a mini resume...
You see, this sort of illustrates my perspective a bit. I highlighted the part where you state that you, "...want to make my cards myself." To that end, you are willing to spend a LOT of your time and money to achieve some creative and clever cards. But when prospective employees come to work for me and my organization, I don't need them to want to try out their clever ideas with my time and money.

I have had several graphic artists on staff over the years who liked creative and unique little ideas. I would often come my art department unexpectedly, and find them walking around showing off their latest clever creations to all the other artists, who were sitting at their work stations trying to get their work done. This was incredibly unproductive, but a great deal of "fun" for the employee. The clever fellow would also try to come up with unrequested clever "extra mile" ideas on my clients' projects, which took excessive amounts of time (for which I could not invoice), and produced a result that the clever guy (and his mom) loved. But nearly always my clients did not like such ideas, and I had to crack the whip to get them to produce exactly what they were told. I often lectured them to go ahead and create whatever fun, creative, and clever ideas that they wanted...whenever they are on their own time!

My clients don't pay us to be clever or creative. They want us to produce results (in my field, that means sales growth), and they want us to do so in the fastest, least expensive way possible.

There is nothing wrong with being creative, and enjoying your abilities to make interesting stuff. But such things are not always the best way to look like a great potential employee. But again, all this is my opinion, and my perspective. Good luck to you!
Old 05-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #19
metal1313

For me, i know i can "buy cards" etc, but being a industrial designer and loving the fabrication aspec, i want to make my cards 100% myself. no out sourcing. to me, this will be like a mini resume...
You see, this sort of illustrates my perspective a bit. I highlighted the part where you state that you, "...want to make my cards myself." To that end, you are willing to spend a LOT of your time and money to achieve some creative and clever cards. But when prospective employees come to work for me and my organization, I don't need them to want to try out their clever ideas with my time and money.

I have had several graphic artists on staff over the years who liked creative and unique little ideas. I would often come my art department unexpectedly, and find them walking around showing off their latest clever creations to all the other artists, who were sitting at their work stations trying to get their work done. This was incredibly unproductive, but a great deal of "fun" for the employee. The clever fellow would also try to come up with unrequested clever "extra mile" ideas on my clients' projects, which took excessive amounts of time (for which I could not invoice), and produced a result that the clever guy (and his mom) loved. But nearly always my clients did not like such ideas, and I had to crack the whip to get them to produce exactly what they were told. I often lectured them to go ahead and create whatever fun, creative, and clever ideas that they wanted...whenever they are on their own time!

My clients don't pay us to be clever or creative. They want us to produce results (in my field, that means sales growth), and they want us to do so in the fastest, least expensive way possible.

There is nothing wrong with being creative, and enjoying your abilities to make interesting stuff. But such things are not always the best way to look like a great potential employee. But again, all this is my opinion, and my perspective. Good luck to you!
[/QUOTE]

one thing i see here is that you do not get much creative advancement. now i understand doing what the client wants, but do the artists ever get involved with that?

now heres a questions, what about small note pads? im considering having some made, since i use ones from my garden supply and plumbing supply all the time
metal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #20
ptschram

Years ago, I was reading one of the business journals and the topic of business cards was discussed. The author commented that he was in a Japanese bath-house (not what it sounds like) and a gentleman swam up and took a plastic business card out of a pocket on his swim trunks and gave the author of the article a card that was water-proof. And we wonder why other economies have overtaken us!

As many of my clients are off-roaders, I laminate some of my cards in luggage tag pouches, they go over very well at off-road events as they don't wash away when they get wet in the mud!