Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
noxided

Default quonset hut

I'm looking to build an authentic looking WWII style quonset hut, not the ones you buy in a kit that are space age looking. How are the frames constructed and how is the sheet metal overlapped to keep it from leaking.

any help would be appreciated, google wont help me.
noxided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Stuart in MN

Default Re: quonset hut

A few links I've found:
http://quonsetbuildings.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quonset_hut
http://www.quonsethuts.org/huts/index.htm
The last link mentions a book about Quonset huts that may be interesting: http://www.quonsethuts.org/book/index.htm

As you probably know, there are any number of companies selling Quonset style buildings these days, but from what I can tell they are mostly modern renditions of the original.

This site has some partial blueprints of the originals, you may be able to blow them up enough to get some details: http://quonsetpoint.artinruins.com/quonset_hut.htm
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
noxided

Thanks alot. here is also some pics of the style that I'm looking to build. There is a bar in Huntsville,Tx that is an old quonset hut and the lower half is the bar and pool table area and the top is the office space. I would like to build mine thatway to live up top and have my shop in bottom.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
AirBornOne

Got this after about a 2sec search.
Really,this was too easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quonset hut .jpg (36.2 KB, 69 views)
AirBornOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
Stuart in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne View Post
As I mentioned earlier, the modern buildings aren't really authentic to the originals (other than the general shape, that is.)
Old 05-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
noxided

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne View Post
Really. Thats the cheap looking space age one thats ribbed. Im looking for authentic curved corrigated steel.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
ibedayank

from what i have seen old metal ones have a frame...new ones do not need a frame
some of the old buildings are concrete
might be hard to find somebody that can sliproll the sheets acurately and the tubing for the frames

Last edited by ibedayank; 05-07-2011 at 10:18 PM.
ibedayank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
Stuart in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxided View Post
There is a bar in Huntsville,Tx that is an old quonset hut and the lower half is the bar and pool table area and the top is the office space.
Lizard's Bar and Grille? Looks like it's for sale: http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/14980...Huntsville-TX/
Old 05-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
noxided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart in MN View Post
Lizard's Bar and Grille? Looks like it's for sale: http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/14980...Huntsville-TX/
its been for sale for several years now, unfortunately too much for the area and about 100 miles out of the way.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #10
nissan_crawler

quonsets are really a waste of space for 95% of the uses. Dad regretted ever building ours, as did almost everybody else I know.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #11
ibedayank

the curved roof with regular walls will work like the 1940s called the redesign
had 4 foot knee walls

http://www.seabeesmuseum.com/Quonset_Huts.html
ibedayank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #12
Plombob

When I was a kid we went to see "A Fistful of Dollars" when it first came out in a Quonset movie theater in either CO or NM. It rained during the movie and the noise from the rain on the roof was deafening. Couldn't hear the movie. I remember that to this day!

Junkman says:
The last time that I hit my finger with a cheap dead blow hammer, it hurt just as much as the time that I hit it with the Snap-On dead blow hammer.
Plombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:26 AM   #13
Marlin363

I figure these pics may help you. Since this one is falling down you can see how it was constructed. I am told by local historian that is one of the last remaining original Quonset huts on Guam. It as built during WWII or immediately thereafter. It appears to a larger warehouse size one. I know where some regular ones are but they were abandoned in place much earlier and are completely overgrown.

This one is no longer located on Navy property and now belongs to the local Government of Guam. Obviously they haven't maintained it and the next Typhoon is going to destroy it. It is located in Guam on Nimitz Hill in abandoned Navy Housing.

This is the Federal property line. You can see the signs. It is a mixed blessing. If the Navy still had control of it it would have been destroyed. Someone mowed around it since the jungle hasn't claimed it yet. There is still abandoned housing in the background the jungle has completely overgrown.

As close as I good get. I was wearing shorts

View from the former pool

Last edited by Marlin363; 05-08-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Marlin363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:27 AM   #14
BUGTHUG

Marlin363, those are some nice pictures, I like the old WW2 era stuff in the Pacific rim. It almost makes you wish you could do something to save it. I bet they would give that to you if you removed it. Probably be more work getting the government to release it then the work tearing it down.
BUGTHUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:21 AM   #15
onewaydave

They were just erector set bolt togethers. Here, just a few miles from me in St. Joseph, MO is a group of larger ones that served as a Naval station up until a few years ago. Still in pretty good shape. They are owned by the local school district but are vacant right now. These were brought from Okinawa after WWII to make the barracks and offices of the NS. The ED of the Museum I volunteer at has moved several of these (in Korea 1950s). A couple of wrenches and a bunch of Privates and you have a building. They aer very versitile. Can be set on the ground, gravel pad, concrete, wood sub-frame. Most of my career in the MC was in QHs in San Diego, Iwakuni, and El Toro (I was in a brick barracks briefly in El Toro).

I imagine you can still find them at government auctions.

Dave.
What do the CIA, FBI, NSA, Pentagon, White House, Microsoft, Apple, VA, ATT, Chase, Bank of America, Target,Walmart, Sony Play Station, the Justice Department and I have in common? We've all been hacked. Mostly by 16 year olds or the Chinese.
onewaydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #16
PCO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plombob View Post
When I was a kid we went to see "A Fistful of Dollars" when it first came out in a Quonset movie theater in either CO or NM. It rained during the movie and the noise from the rain on the roof was deafening. Couldn't hear the movie. I remember that to this day!
We had one in our town (Cooksville, Ontario) in the 60's and I remember that too. It was otherwise a pretty good theatre but rainy days that was another matter.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #17
markviii

We have one in the Center of the Universe - owned and used by my brother-in-law for his machining/fabricating business.

Chris
markviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #18
noxided

Marlin363 Those are great pictures, exactly what I needed. Now I just need to figure out how to make those beams or what to use in place of them.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #19
AlZee

I agree with Nissan Crawler on this one. I had my command office at RAF Lakenheath in a WWII quonset hut in the late 90's. You couldn't use 1/3 of the space effectively because of the walls. Handing lighting was an issue and overall construction was lacking. But if novelty is what you're after, go for it.
AlZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #20
SweetD

Cool to see someone post about Quonset huts. I live right near the epicenter of their creation. You see them all over the place around here, of all sizes.

The name comes from their site of first manufacture, Quonset Point, at the Davisville Naval Construction Battalion Center in Davisville (a village located within the town of North Kingstown, Rhode Island, USA).

Quonset Point is now a defunct military base, and was home of the original Sea Bees Naval Engineering Battalion. There is still an airstrip there that supports the RI Air National Guard, including the C-130 transport division.

There are quite a few commercial industry / manufacturing companies there now. It's a deepwater port, and many in RI wish they would expand its use to generate business in the State.

Just another small piece of history in our great country...

Dave

Last edited by SweetD; 05-08-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling...
SweetD is offline   Reply With Quote