Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
jimmy p

Default Garage drywall almost done, what paint/primer to use?

My drywall should be done this week and I want to get the painting done asap so I can get everything moved out of the house back into the garage.

I am planning to do an all white or white ceiling/off white walls with semi gloss for easier cleanup. I am having the drywall mud/sanding done professionally so hopefully it comes out pretty smooth and doesnt require any special filling primers.

I have heard that it pays to spend the extra money on Sherman Williams products over Lowes/HD. Is this true?
If so what should I ask for when I get there? Any brand/line of paint and primer thats better than the others?

Any estimates on how much a 24' x 32' garage with 10ft walls will cost me to paint/primer?
thanks!
jimmy p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Cryptic1911

Default Re: Garage drywall almost done, what paint/primer to use?

I'm interested too, gonna be in the same boat pretty soon lol
Cryptic1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
trbomax

I use the SW primer(high build). For top coat I like the Olympic semi gloss exterior latex. Covers well,nice uniform gloss. Tint it down if you like,but I use it right from the bucket,there is no chance the color will vari from one can to another.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

Home Cheapo sells a Behr primer for new drywall....trying to remember the name but it comes in an orange can and has worked great for me. In my experience, no don't spend extra for Sherwin WIlliams. Have you ever seen paint on drywall peel, or do anything untoward? If you use the orange can primer and (I assume) you'll be working from 5 gallon cans it'll come out great. Happy painting!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
JC23

PRIMER IS THE WAY TO GO ON RAW DRYWALL. Otherwise the taped seams and patches will telegraph thru.

As for SW paint, get Home Place at Wally World. It's made by SW and a lot cheaper.

And let's see some pics...
JC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
trbomax

I'm probably going to get my ass chewed on for saying this,but just because SW makes it doesnt make it SW. Things like that are made to vendor specs to meet a priceing structure,not mfgr specs.Like buying a C-man power tool,Dewalt may make it but its a long way from being a dewalt.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
mach5er

PVA Primer (Poly Vinyl Acetate) is a professional primer sealer for new construction and all unpainted interior drywall and texture coatings. It is cheap too! All the fancier primers are for other substraites and/or painting over previous top-couats. PVA Primer is what you need and what you want.
mach5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
trbomax

This is just the prime coat,I'm going to put a first top coat on this afternoon,the pics dont show the lack of texture or orange peel very well,but its smooth.As I stated elsewhere,I do all mudding with 210 and 90 hot mud (fill/tape,2 coats,then sand w/ 80 grit and the scratches fill just fine with this stuff,not so with the regular Home Crappo or Lowes stuff. The olympic top coats seem to be OK though,but I use exterior in baths and anywhere in the shop.

edit) I probably got a little nuts for a furnace room,the wife doesnt understand the white in a room that has a coal/wood burner in it!When its done there will be a sprinkler head ove the wood furnace. A 93% propane funace goes in the rr corner for the office,bath,and 2 machine/hobby shops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1305.jpg (156.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1310.jpg (136.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1306.JPG (144.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1311.jpg (143.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1307.jpg (173.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by trbomax; 05-15-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
Ray-CA

Send a message via Yahoo to Ray-CA

One of the local pro-painters has recommended this to me (http://www.homedepot.com/Whites/Pain...atalogId=10053)

Yes, I know that it's Home Depot but I've seen his work on two homes in the neighborhood (including an un-primed raw garage) and it all looks great. He estimates that I'd need a 5-gal bucket to do my 2-car garage. This will leave just under a gallon left over for touch ups etc. as needed. Currently it's selling for $152 for a 5-gal bucket and that seems fairly reasonable to me, but I'm still searching for a coupon etc. to bring the price down.

Ray
Old 05-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
trbomax

I believe the SW is $112 /5 gal after the contractor discout. The discount is easy to get,when you go to the store,let them put your e-mail in thier system,and its worth 10%. It also says on the bucket that it may be applied with a 3/4" roller or spray,with psi and tip recomendations for airless.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
Jeff Ivers

I mudded, taped, spray textured and painted my own shop walls. I have used Dutch Boy semi-gloss white acrylic latex paint purchased at Sears. I used no primer and painted a single coat. I have had no problems with seams showing except where my mudding was not up to snuff. If you look at my postings under Garage Gallery labeled DIY Shop, you can judge for yourself.
Jeff Ivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
kenfath

Used HD/Behr latex primer last year on 23 - 4x12' sheets of newly hung drywall plus priming another ~350 sq/ft of the existing firewall in my ~640 sq/ft finish the attached garage project. Used all of the five gallon pail and felt it covered well. The ceiling was finished with two coats of an off-white using just over 3 gallons of Behr semi gloss. The side walls were painted using a Behr semi-gloss custom blended silver-grey color. Only applied one coat and it covered satisfactorily, IF I were to do it again I'd put a second coat on the sidewalls. Why? Mainly for the satisfaction of knowing it had two coats.

We are very pleased with the Home Depot/Behr products that I described above. Used a gallon of Behr gloss paint for mouldings, cabinet doors, shelves and 2 man doors. It took three coats to get reasonably OK coverage. Plan to apply a fourth coat to the 2 doors. The color is a bright red, pretty close to Craftsman red. Others have told me red is one of the more difficult colors to get really good coverage with.

The 5G pail of primer was about $65; the semi-gloss gallons were about $30. There was a $5/gallon promotion rebate of three of the gallons. The total paint cost was ~$325 to finish a 22x30x8' garage plus some attic area.
kenfath is offline   Reply With Quote