Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > Fabrication & Techniques

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
StumpXJ

Default Building my own gas grill...

Anybody got some pics they want to share of bbq grills they have built? I personally am going to build a gas grill, for the sake of convenience. I have the skills, tools and ability, but was hoping to find some do's and dont's online of those who have done the same. Looking for some guidelines if you will. Burner placement, venting, shielding, etc etc.

I have done a fair amount of research, but most of what I am coming up with is referring to built in units, where the cooker itself is store bought. I am not building an outdoor cooking 'station' but just the grill itself. Im tired of buying the cheap crap most box stores sell as grills, the metal is so thin they only last a few years, even if cleaned after each use. I also dont have the cash to drop $900 bucks on something better like a Weber. I can however spend a couple hundred on materials to do it myself. Not looking really at a HUGE unit on a trailer, or something to cook a hog on, just a heavy duty version of a Charbroil... I know I can build this for cheaper than I can buy one of a similar stoutness.

I would assume charcoal grills have similar build properties? Such as optimum venting placement, etc. So, pics and info of charcoal grills would be helpful too...

Thanks, ~ Stump
StumpXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Strouty

Default Re: Building my own gas grill...

Headline Decatur, GA:

Man sets himself on fire after using homemade gas grill, full story at six.

JK,

I have seen people take the grill part and make a new base or counter for it, but not a whole grill. I would find a donor grill and use that as the basis for your grill. Keep us posted, it sounds like it could be a fun project.

Useless hands

Deadlines amuse me.
Strouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
slopecarver

I agree, current grills are crap and one can light himself on fire with a new one just as easily as with an older one. In fact lighter access/ igniter setup will likely be better designed to reduce gas buildup while the damn sparker doesn't work. Think stun gun! The first thing to go in any grill i've owned is the burner so you might consider doing that part yourself. Big propane tanks or compressor tanks would work well I bet or if you want one to last longer than you look into welding one up with plates of stainless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNuCZ1KERds

Last edited by slopecarver; 05-15-2011 at 05:08 PM.
slopecarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
jtbinvalrico

I'm a wood/charcoal man myself......I like my present grill, but the metal is thin and won't last...so I'm just going to use it as a model when I fab a new one out of some real steel.

I don't see why you couldn't do the same....just take the burners and piping from a grill you like and make a new shell
jtbinvalrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
boseefus402

I would get either a brand new one, or an old one and rob the burners, controls, and regulators out of it. It's on my "one day" pile when I redo the backyard.
boseefus402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
StumpXJ

Yeah, most places sell replacement burners and appropriate plumbing, controls etc. I plan to buy all of that, and will get some quality stuff. Thats not a problem, I was just more concerned (concerned?) with the placement of everything, burner cover/drip plate design, venting etc.

I essentially will be using 11 gauge steel for the shell of it. It'll be heavy as heck, but once its on the deck, who cares. Just putting this feeler out to see if anyone else has done it to give me any tips before I screw it up. If I am going to be the guinea pig, thats ok, but have a hard time believing no one else has done it. You know what they say, if you can think of it, its already been done.

Maybe I will just search around the interwebs for good grill pictures and copy copy copy.

In the mean time if I hit the lottery, ill just buy a viking.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
amt

I have not done it before, but I would look for cast stainless or brass burners. Have a look here: http://www.gasgrillsnow.com/BurnerComparison.htm
amt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
StumpXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by amt View Post
I have not done it before, but I would look for cast stainless or brass burners. Have a look here: http://www.gasgrillsnow.com/BurnerComparison.htm
Thats a cool link, thanks for sharing. I guess its safe to assume that Weber is on the low end of high end grills, and on the upper end of low end grills. Had no idea even their burners were that thin.

After checking out a few You tube vids, I may end up making some burner rails. Or atleast copying some with a beefier material.

~ Stump
Old 05-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
BADSIX

i belong to a local car club and we built a bbq thats on wheels. its large 4 people can cook on it at the same time. its all s/s and has cast iron burners, these are what you want. they came out of a restrant grill. check to see if you can find a used restrant supply place near you. we picked up 10 of these for a 100.00 they work perfect check out traeger bbq grills these are the best, i would like to build one of these
BADSIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #10
jayrush13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADSIX View Post
i belong to a local car club and we built a bbq thats on wheels. its large 4 people can cook on it at the same time. its all s/s and has cast iron burners, these are what you want. they came out of a restrant grill. check to see if you can find a used restrant supply place near you. we picked up 10 of these for a 100.00 they work perfect check out traeger bbq grills these are the best, i would like to build one of these

Traegers use to be nice until they shipped production off to china and jacked up the prices

Mak Grills are the way to go now
jayrush13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
ibedayank

stumpXJ they do sell replacement burners for cheap then just snag some valves and regulator and build your own grill body
ibedayank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
StumpXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibedayank View Post
stumpXJ they do sell replacement burners for cheap then just snag some valves and regulator and build your own grill body
Yep. Thats what I plan to do.

Thanks, ~ Stump
Old 05-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
raley

Just looking at all the other grills online, the lid doesn't need to be that thick (so it will be alil lighter to lift) its mainly just the tub that needs to be beefed up.
raley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
Ohio Auto

My goal: I wanna take an older car...chop it off behind the rear seat and make a grill out of the trunk area....using the trunk deck as the lid. Leave the rear tires on it and fabricate some type of hitch to move it around.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=85276
Ohio Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #15
ibedayank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Auto View Post
My goal: I wanna take an older car...chop it off behind the rear seat and make a grill out of the trunk area....using the trunk deck as the lid. Leave the rear tires on it and fabricate some type of hitch to move it around.
YUCK undercoating/paint tasting food

make one that looks like a car truck from 3/16s or 1/4 plate...last 10x longer and no chemical taste
maybe better idea?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #16
ibedayank

Raley thicker metal holds temps easier and more even
Old 05-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #17
GirlnAgarage

This build is exactly what I was planning to do as well. Though I'm still planning my wood bbq pit. Wonder if they can be built together?

Anyway, just subscribing. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Picking up replacement parts to bolt in to the body looks like the way to go.

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation
GirlnAgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #18
Ohio Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibedayank View Post
YUCK undercoating/paint tasting food

make one that looks like a car truck from 3/16s or 1/4 plate...last 10x longer and no chemical taste
maybe better idea?
Work with me here..I'm talking a high end fab. job. Gut the inside of the trunk and install state of the art stainless steel panels and grates.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=85276
Ohio Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #19
D KRAGER

Here's a pic of one me and a buddy made for our old pontoon boat.

Pretty easy really, just get the regulator, hoses and control valves from an old junk grill. Buy a new burner and some grates and you're good to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keg grill.jpg (89.6 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg keg grill 2.jpg (75.8 KB, 262 views)

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=51498
D KRAGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #20
lilredex

This is one I made in 1982......still going strong.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It was pieced together with 1/8" scrap yard steel of various widths, resulting in a minimum of cutting. The welding was intermitent, just enough to hold it together. The corners were fully welded and contoured round. Also made the burner and controls with some 1/8" pipe. About the only thing I bought were the grill racks (and the shut off valves), got them in the surplus dept. of Princess Auto..........that's actually what got me going on the idea of building one.

Would I do it again today? Probably not.........there were not all the "fixer uppers" laying around then, as there are today.
lilredex is offline   Reply With Quote