Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
shocksystems

Send a message via MSN to shocksystems
Question Harbor Freight Sand Blast Cabinet - Light Upgrade

I know several members have mentioned upgrading the light on their Harbor Freight blast cabinet to better illuminate the inside of the cabinet.

What are people replacing theirs with? It looks like the light in there now is 2 20W fluorescent tubes.

Before I go looking for something I thought I would ask what has worked for others.

Cheers!

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110520_201746.jpg (130.8 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110520_201755.jpg (133.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20110520_201834.jpg (136.7 KB, 67 views)
shocksystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
PCO6

Default Re: Harbor Freight Sand Blast Cabinet - Light Upgrade

My cabinet isn't a HF (it's home made) and I've tried various types of lighting in it. I seem to have had the best luck with a pair of inexpensive halogen spot lights mounted high in each corner.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
sscustom

looking good guys
sscustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
Jeff Ivers

Man, that is one nice looking cabinet! Well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCO6 View Post
My cabinet isn't a HF (it's home made) and I've tried various types of lighting in it. I seem to have had the best luck with a pair of inexpensive halogen spot lights mounted high in each corner.

Jeff Ivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
PCO6

Thanks Jeff. It's about 30 years old. I've made some modifications to it over the years and would like to build another one based on what I have learned. A deeper hopper would be the main thing. I set it up for both pressure and syphon feed blasting. The vacume system works well - inexpensive Sop-Vac with a home made water based filter. The lack of gloves in the door probably looks odd. I have long gauntlet gloves that I wear and simply put my arms through the holes. They seal well and it allows me to pass small parts through without opening the door. It's seen a lot of use over the years.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
FORMUD

Quote:
Thanks Jeff. It's about 30 years old. I've made some modifications to it over the years and would like to build another one based on what I have learned. A deeper hopper would be the main thing. I set it up for both pressure and syphon feed blasting. The vacume system works well - inexpensive Sop-Vac with a home made water based filter. The lack of gloves in the door probably looks odd. I have long gauntlet gloves that I wear and simply put my arms through the holes. They seal well and it allows me to pass small parts through without opening the door. It's seen a lot of use over the years.

I know digging this up from the past, but I found this while searching lighting ideas........Could you post up some more info on the "Water based filter" For me?
FORMUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
PelicanPines

The water based filter is the white bucket with black lid with two hoses on top.

The hose from the box to the bucket is long (into the bucket)... the hose from the bucket to the vac is SHORT into the bucket. Water is about 1/2 way up the bucket... submerging the long hose but not the vac (short) hose. When dust particles go thru that system.. they get trapped in the water.

I have one I purchased a long time ago to do dry wall sanding. Couldn't find a link to one... on a quick search.

Why complain about something... We have all the tools and knowledge to change it, to fix it, to make it worse... it's up to you.

Working in my garage is like playing advanced Tetris.
PelicanPines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #8
PCO6

FORMUD - Here are a few threads that provide some pictures and an explanation along with some other links. With mine, I use 3" or 4" of water in the white pail and neither hose is below the water level. I understand some others do it differently. I purchased the 2 port plastic lid at Busy Bee Tools but they are pretty easy to make.

Mine creates a cyclone effect above the water line and the sand being heavier than air falls into the water. I use a small 5.5 amp, 4 gallon Shop-Vac without a bag and cabinet is very dust free.

Hope this helps.

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showt...r+dust+control

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showt...dust&showall=1
Old 08-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #9
1982fxr

just turn the shoplights off
1982fxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
steel 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982fxr View Post
just turn the shoplights off
Works for me
steel 35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #11
FORMUD

Quote:
FORMUD - Here are a few threads that provide some pictures and an explanation along with some other links. With mine, I use 3" or 4" of water in the white pail and neither hose is below the water level. I understand some others do it differently. I purchased the 2 port plastic lid at Busy Bee Tools but they are pretty easy to make.

Mine creates a cyclone effect above the water line and the sand being heavier than air falls into the water. I use a small 5.5 amp, 4 gallon Shop-Vac without a bag and cabinet is very dust free.

Hope this helps.

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showt...r+dust+control

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showt...dust&showall=1
Thanks for the info. Now I know what to get. I'll see if I can't find a plastic or metal container with a clamp style lid for easy removal.
I stole your halogen work light set up. Only tried one 150watt light, Definitely going need one coming from the side too.
FORMUD is offline   Reply With Quote