Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
OctaneMotorsports

Default Ingersoll Rand IR231HA Impact Wrench

Hey Guys and Girls,

Hope everybody had a good weekend. I'm looking for opinions on the Ingersoll Rand IR231HA impact wrench. It's the same as the seemingly popular IR231C, the only difference being the exhaust exits at the bottom of the handle instead of the front underneath the anvil. I'm not looking for the lightest, quietest, most powerful and expensive impact wrench, just something that will do most general auto work for now until I can save up some more money for a better one (I'm fifteen and working three jobs - all automotive - so I can race and buy tools!).

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran
Moose says:
ya know, if we had another jungle-based war (like vietnam) i'd enroll.

Moose says:
it looks like fun.
OctaneMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
Deafautotech

Default Re: Ingersoll Rand IR231HA Impact Wrench

wow how can you work three jobs?

I am curious why you need more 3/8dr impact wrench? I own Snap on IM31 and MG31 (both are used when i bought it.)
Deafautotech is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-15-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneMotorsports View Post
Hey Guys and Girls,

Hope everybody had a good weekend. I'm looking for opinions on the Ingersoll Rand IR231HA impact wrench. It's the same as the seemingly popular IR231C, the only difference being the exhaust exits at the bottom of the handle instead of the front underneath the anvil. I'm not looking for the lightest, quietest, most powerful and expensive impact wrench, just something that will do most general auto work for now until I can save up some more money for a better one (I'm fifteen and working three jobs - all automotive - so I can race and buy tools!).

Thanks guys.
The HF Earthquake will probably do everything you want cheaper.

ps... where's the shit hits the fan smilie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
OctaneMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschoendorff View Post
The HF Earthquake will probably do everything you want cheaper.

ps... where's the shit hits the fan smilie?
HAHAHA!

A.) I hope you're kidding, lol

B.) I already have a Chinese Campbell Hausfeld dumpster food unit

and C.) I live in Canada, no Harbour Freight here...hahaha

Quote:
Moose says:

Moose says:
it looks like fun.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #5
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Actually, I am not kidding. Read:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=10196

Your CH is not really teh same thing. Just happens to be from the same country. Same, in fact, as the IR (unless you get lucky and find an IR made in Japan). Doesn't Princess Auto have a version of this?

Quote:
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
Old 07-15-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
OctaneMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschoendorff View Post
Actually, I am not kidding. Read:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=10196

Your CH is not really teh same thing. Just happens to be from the same country. Same, in fact, as the IR (unless you get lucky and find an IR made in Japan). Doesn't Princess Auto have a version of this?
I may be young, but I'm not a weekend warrior, and I'm not just "helping dad in the garage" or whatever. I use my tools every single day working anything and everything (cars, karts, trucks, motorcycles) and they're what I earn my money with. I want a decent impact wrench that will handle anything I should be reasonably expected to encounter and take with me through apprenticeship and even still use if/when I am a tech. I promised myself I wouldn't buy anymore junk a long time ago. No hard feelings, I appreciate your input and all...but I think "the bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low cost has disappeared" pretty much sums it up.

Quote:
Moose says:

Moose says:
it looks like fun.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:04 PM   #7
Charles (in GA)

The IR will last you a lifetime. A very good tool, if its priced right, buy it.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:29 PM   #8
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Quote:
I may be young, but I'm not a weekend warrior, and I'm not just "helping dad in the garage" or whatever. I use my tools every single day working anything and everything (cars, karts, trucks, motorcycles) and they're what I earn my money with. I want a decent impact wrench that will handle anything I should be reasonably expected to encounter and take with me through apprenticeship and even still use if/when I am a tech. I promised myself I wouldn't buy anymore junk a long time ago. No hard feelings, I appreciate your input and all...but I think "the bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low cost has disappeared" pretty much sums it up.
Then go buy the IR. There shouldn't be any discussion...

Quote:
Old 07-15-2007, 10:09 PM   #9
kartracer55

Quote:
I live in Canada.... Harbour
Brendan Im gunna have to show you how to spell after I show you how to drive. OHHHH SHIIITTTT!!!

Buy the 231. The gun will last YEARS, it is what most guns are based off of. I use them at work all the time and only rarely will it not take something off between 140PSI and a short socket. Get a breaker bar for everything else. The HA is good for tire work because it does not blow brake dust in your face like the 231C does, but it gives up a few Lbs of torque in doing so. I dont really notice a difference between the two as I use both, but the 231C is supposed to be a bit more powerful. Stick with the HA or a C, the G is the cheap ass "iron force" or something IR gun that IR sells for like 60$.

Jim

http://www.frappr.com/garagejunkies
kartracer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #10
OctaneMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer55 View Post
Brendan Im gunna have to show you how to spell after I show you how to drive. OHHHH SHIIITTTT!!!
I'd actually LOVE to race you one day. Identical karts, identical weight...the outcome would surely be interesting

Quote:
Buy the 231. The gun will last YEARS, it is what most guns are based off of. I use them at work all the time and only rarely will it not take something off between 140PSI and a short socket. Get a breaker bar for everything else. The HA is good for tire work because it does not blow brake dust in your face like the 231C does, but it gives up a few Lbs of torque in doing so. I dont really notice a difference between the two as I use both, but the 231C is supposed to be a bit more powerful. Stick with the HA or a C, the G is the cheap ass "iron force" or something IR gun that IR sells for like 60$.

Jim
That's what I wanted to hear, thanks!

That said, I was actually using somebody's IR231C today...it didn't feel too bad at first but dang that thing is loud and heavy. Makes me start to consider the Ingersoll Rand 2135Ti (which if I'm not mistaken is one of the best 1/2" impacts on the market, correct?). I could pay it off in time so cost really isn't an issue...so I think this route would make more sense to spend the little extra for a much better impact. My question is what is the difference between the 2135Ti and the 2135Qti?

Quote:
Moose says:

Moose says:
it looks like fun.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #11
kartracer55

Quote:
I'd actually LOVE to race you one day. Identical karts, identical weight...the outcome would surely be interesting

That's what I wanted to hear, thanks!

That said, I was actually using somebody's IR231C today...it didn't feel too bad at first but dang that thing is loud and heavy. Makes me start to consider the Ingersoll Rand 2135Ti (which if I'm not mistaken is one of the best 1/2" impacts on the market, correct?). I could pay it off in time so cost really isn't an issue...so I think this route would make more sense to spend the little extra for a much better impact. My question is what is the difference between the 2135Ti and the 2135Qti?
Dont get caught up in all that TI and Nitro cat crap lol. Life expectancy on composite impacts is short because triggers and switches wear out. The main guy at work has some uber mega expensive Snap On that he keeps in the original box, and uses only when the 231's wont cut it, which is rare (Ive only seen it and had to use it 10 times or so Id guess). I had the car from hell today, it was a riced shitbox civic that I had to do brakes and axles on. That car killed more tools than any other I have seen, but the 231 removed everything. Honestly, I would get a normal aluminum impact gun (like a 231 or 244) to start off with, because they are much cheaper and will last longer, and still have plenty of power for what you will be doing. Starting off you wont run into anything that requires tons of power. Hell, I use 231's on F450 Ambulances! When you go pro use the 231 as your backup gun and buy a high end gun later when it truly will pay for itself.

Jim

Old 07-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #12
OctaneMotorsports

Quote:
Dont get caught up in all that TI and Nitro cat crap lol. Life expectancy on composite impacts is short because triggers and switches wear out. The main guy at work has some uber mega expensive Snap On that he keeps in the original box, and uses only when the 231's wont cut it, which is rare (Ive only seen it and had to use it 10 times or so Id guess). I had the car from hell today, it was a riced shitbox civic that I had to do brakes and axles on. That car killed more tools than any other I have seen, but the 231 removed everything. Honestly, I would get a normal aluminum impact gun (like a 231 or 244) to start off with, because they are much cheaper and will last longer, and still have plenty of power for what you will be doing. Starting off you wont run into anything that requires tons of power. Hell, I use 231's on F450 Ambulances! When you go pro use the 231 as your backup gun and buy a high end gun later when it truly will pay for itself.

Jim
So the 2135 won't last as long? Hhhmmm...good to know. I guess I'll stick with the 231 then. Thanks again for the advice man.

Quote:
Moose says:

Moose says:
it looks like fun.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #13
kartracer55

Quote:
So the 2135 won't last as long? Hhhmmm...good to know. I guess I'll stick with the 231 then. Thanks again for the advice man.
Not saying it wont last long, just not AS long. For you it will last you years, but for a full time Mechanic it will only last a couple years. My friend killed one in a little over a year, but it was in a street sweeper repair place, and those tools are beat to shit, so I dont think anything would last too long there. A traditional aluminum and steel housed gun will last for a long time. There is this CP734 that is the owners from when he started working on cars like 30 something years ago. Its a dog, I mean it is a single hammer so its rough and not super powerful but it has definetly proven itself.

Jim

Old 07-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #14
OctaneMotorsports

Quote:
Not saying it wont last long, just not AS long. For you it will last you years, but for a full time Mechanic it will only last a couple years. My friend killed one in a little over a year, but it was in a street sweeper repair place, and those tools are beat to shit, so I dont think anything would last too long there. A traditional aluminum and steel housed gun will last for a long time. There is this CP734 that is the owners from when he started working on cars like 30 something years ago. Its a dog, I mean it is a single hammer so its rough and not super powerful but it has definetly proven itself.

Jim
Now you have me on the fence, hahaha.

I know the 2135 is definitely overkill, but I have been buying nothing but the absolute best lately. Even if it's a little pricey and won't last as long I think being lighter and quieter makes it worth it (not to mention the extra power). I don't know...hahaha.

By the way, when are you going to come on AIM? ahahaha

Quote:
Moose says:

Moose says:
it looks like fun.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #15
kartracer55

Quote:
Now you have me on the fence, hahaha.

I know the 2135 is definitely overkill, but I have been buying nothing but the absolute best lately. Even if it's a little pricey and won't last as long I think being lighter and quieter makes it worth it (not to mention the extra power). I don't know...hahaha.

By the way, when are you going to come on AIM? ahahaha
Starting out you wont need the power of a 2135. You will be doing mostly Brakes, Tires and Light suspension work. I have never truly needed the TRUE 700ftlb snap on gun, it has been more of a convenience. A 2ft breaker bar can give you some serious leverage. And as far as the weight, its not $130 lighter lol. Be a big man and buy a thundergun =]

Old 07-16-2007, 09:15 PM   #16
OctaneMotorsports

Quote:
Starting out you wont need the power of a 2135. You will be doing mostly Brakes, Tires and Light suspension work. I have never truly needed the TRUE 700ftlb snap on gun, it has been more of a convenience. A 2ft breaker bar can give you some serious leverage. And as far as the weight, its not $130 lighter lol. Be a big man and buy a thundergun =]
I know it's overkill...but I live for overkill...hahaha

Quote:
Moose says:

Moose says:
it looks like fun.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #17
Deafautotech

i have three 1/2dr impact (2135ti, IM5100, and AWA434) i used 2135ti most time because most of tech said both of my IM5100 and AWA434 are very loudest and make them nuts! but my impact wrenches never quit on me unless ihad snap on 24in breaker bar which i paid 77 dollars.

but i have two used snap on IM31 and MG31. i used it for common works like brakes, basic things like shocks, engine disassemblies, or pull transmission, else.
Deafautotech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 PM   #18
wilbilt
Banned

Lighter and quieter doesn't mean anything when it comes to getting work done.
The 231 is a brute that thrives on abuse. If you buy one, you will never regret it.
wilbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #19
BrandonWatts

i work on semi trucks all day and i havnt found anything yet that my 231HA hasnt been able to take off. i love the gun but i was going to go with the matco compsite but a buddy of mine bought it and in about a week he was already having problems with it. ingersol is just tough as nails and wont die. the 2135ti is an awesome gun nice and light quite and very powerful. the only thing with that gun is that in about 2 to 3 years of good use you will have to throw a rebuild kit in it. so i would go with the 231HA you can get it off tooltopia for about 112 bucks thats where i got mine.
BrandonWatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #20
Rhinoman

Here in Canada, I can snag an IR231G for $199 @ Canadian Tire. NAPA has the 231C for $189. Is the general consensus such that I should avoid the G in favour of the C ? That much difference ?

Rhino.
Rhinoman is offline   Reply With Quote