Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
ahaidet

Default Removing Automotive Overspray from Concrete Floor

I'm nearing completion of my first automotive paint job. Itís been a learning process start to finish and I'm pretty pleased with the results thus far..

Start:

Nearly finished:

Before this I had limited experience with painting or doing much automotive body work..

One problem now that its done is what once was a fairly clean concrete floor now looks like the scene of a homicide with all the red overspray on the floor...

I tried to keep the floor wet with water as I was told this would help to prevent the overspray from sticking and it did seem to help in areas that stayed wet...

Other areas not so much. I have hosed the garage out with the garden hose and used some regular household detergent and that got some of it. I would guess that got mostly just the dusty overspray that didnít stick.

Some history on the floor/garage. I didn't pour the concrete. The garage was there in a semi-finished state when we moved in. I've done the tape plastic bag to floor test to check for moisture wicking up through the concrete and there was none. So there is a moisture barrier. Also I think it had some kind of sealer on when the concrete was curing as water would bead up slightly on the surface when it got wet.

I have read several thoughts on how to remove the overspray and here is a summary:

1)Pressure wash the concrete. Seems reasonable. I do not own a pressure washer but could rent/borrow/ one for this.

2)

At lowes

I think this is meant for rattle can but I wonder if it might help some?

3) Prep concrete for epoxy... wash, grind, coat.. and call it a day.

I had been on the fence for coating it for awhile... I do not plan to live at this house forever. I do a lot of fabrication (grinding, cutting, welding), some auto body work (don't plan on making it a regular thing..), etc... The garage is rather small so it shouldn't cost a fortune to do it with one of the cheaper systems.

After spraying garage out with hose and scrubbing with push broom.

Any thoughts?
ahaidet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
jayoldschool

Default Re: Removing Automotive Overspray from Concrete Floor

Personally, I would just leave it.

BTW, paint job looks good!
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
ahaidet

Yeah thats an option too I suppose.

I just look back at pictures on how nice and clean the garage looked without the overspray and it bugs me. Plus I have noticed when working on stuff the garage seems dimmer. (Less reflection from bright concrete floor? maybe)

Finally the floor seems to dust red now instead of the standard grey dust that comes off of concrete.

My original thought was to just live with it but I dont know if I can... OCD kicking in.

Thanks on compliment! It has been a lot of work.

Last edited by ahaidet; 05-27-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Zeke

You won't get that up easily. It's in the pores. In the past, I have laid down tar paper to protect a floor. Works good and sorta traps dust.

With the cutting, grinding and welding you do, you will mess up the epoxy. Of course you can always recoat it. I think I'd wait until you get ready to move and then paint the floor, or paint it now knowing you will be doing it again.

BTW, the red overspray will wear off in the high traffic areas.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
milner351

you could try a muriatic acid etch the concrete - that's the old school prep before epoxy painting the floor - it may lift enough of the overspray out of the pours of the concrete to make it easier to live with. It's not very expensive - so it would be a cheap thing to try.
milner351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
trbomax

In the toledo shop i was constantly painting and doing frp spray ups. When I was molding parts I covered the floor and walls (up 3-4') with heavy cardboard. A real fire hazzard, but it worked for 25 yrs! you wont get that floor overspray up,might as well just live with it as collateral damage from doing what you want in the shop. Nice paint job too.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
mgilde13

I sell products that prevent that very situation.

http://3mcollision.com/products/dirt...ection-systems
mgilde13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
saabman

I found out quite by accident, that VP race gas lifts paint of a concrete floor. Not that I recommend it for that purpose.
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
ds350

Have you tried a power-washer?
ds350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
ahaidet

I havent tried anything other than a garden hose, push broom, and dish detergent.

I may be able to borrow a pressure washer but it might be just easier to rent one... Either way will be a hassle especially for no guarantee of success.

Was hoping someone else might have tried one and had success.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
weegaz22

If it were me I'd leave it...or if your ocd go buy some cheap grey industrial floor paint from hardware shop, hit it and call it a day, pressure washing will take some of it off, but there will still be bits you wont get off and if your gonna go to the effort of emptying the floor then you may as well just hit it with a cheap industrial floor paint as its a working garage, it'll also brighten it up in there quite a bit too.

i wouldnt spend the money on epoxy knowing i was going to move...I'd fork out for racedeck instead, as that can be taken with you when you move out
weegaz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #12
Killer95Stang

I would say a nice turbo nozzle at 2600 -3000 PSI on a pressure washer would get most of that up. I used only 1800 - 2000 PSI on the walkways and patio around my house and got up years of house paint and roofing tar spots.
Killer95Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
dipper

Send a message via AIM to dipper

if you are not planning on staying, leave it as is or lay down some oil base porch & floor
paint.

Could you have rolled the car onto plastic prior to painting to protect the floor?

20x22 Build Pics: http://s630.beta.photobucket.com/use...e/1_Demolition
dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #14
ahaidet

I could have put it on plastic. I hung plastic on all the walls.

Several friends with painting experience told me that wetting the floor would stop the overspray from sticking. It may have got too dry to help. In hindsight I would have put plastic down or used some of the 3M products that were listed above. The primer overspray swept right up only a few places really stuck. The base/clear is another story.

The worst areas are where I had the bumper covers on saw horses. Spraying the ends got the spray gun real close to the floor.

Its not a big deal I just miss the clean uniformity of the bare concrete. Maybe I will just paint it with industrial floor paint or cheap epoxy..
Old 05-28-2011, 02:17 AM   #15
brslk
Banned

Nice paint job on the car.

I have painted a lot of cars in my previous home garage and a shop I used to work at.
The things that were too large to paint in the booth got done in the shop.

The paint on the floor will not stay there too long after numerous sweepings.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just let the floor get dirty and sweep it a couple of times a week.

Bruce.
brslk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:52 AM   #16
garagrepair

try once.. power washer... you will get benefit...
Old 05-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #17
Kevin54

A little too late for this, but if you had not wet the floor down, if you used BC/CC, most of the overspray would have swept up unless you shot the clear before sweeping. If you do not want to wait on it to wear off, you could go over it with some lacquer thinner in the heavier spots, although not recommended due to fire hazard and having to get rid of the rags, unless you are one not to worry about that, or get some muriatic acid and a stiff bristle scrub brush and go at it. But be forewarned that it will not all come up.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #18
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

The other side of my garage has a wood floor, that I have replaced. It was a pine floor that a previous owner had used "used" motor oil to seal the floor. I tried to scrape it up but that didn't work too good. What I found that worked the best was sweeping sawdust, from many home projects, around on the floor. It took a majority of it up.
Now, with that being said, maybe some muratic acid would do the trick, I don't know. I'd recommend a bag of blast sand, for a blast cabinet. I can buy it for 6 bucks for a 40 lb bag. Dump it on the floor and sweep it around for awhile and see if it sands off the overspray. It's cheap, won't smell like the acid and will only take a short bit of time. Well maybe more than a short bit, you might have to sweep it around for an hour or two. Just turn on the radio or TV in the garage and start pushing the broom.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #19
danski0224

Bust up the concrete and repour.

Simple.
danski0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #20
bchee

how about actually sand blasting or baking soda blasting