Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
central1ny

Default Attach pole building to a house?

I am researching different methods of construction in preparation for a new garage. I like the idea of using socket systems to build a pole barn type garage but want to attach the garage to my house. Has anyone attached a pole building to a house before and if so, are there any special considerations? How would the foundation be constructed for the socket systems type pole barn attached to a house?
central1ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
kbs2244

Default Re: Attach pole building to a house?

The problem with this idea is frost heave.
Where do you live?

This is the classic reason the “breeze way” was invented in regions with heavy frost.
It allowed a “floating slab” garage to be somewhat attached to a below the frost line foundation house.

A floating slab garage can move inches in comparison to a below the frost line house, but still maintain it’s integrity.

But you need something somewhat flexible in between.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
bczygan

I never like a rigid joint between two different construction or foundation methods. You get differential movement and cracking at t he joint. Slab on grade for the garage and adjacent basement for the house is the classic example. Mine, built in 41' has cracking. Some kind of joint that moves is the key if you must butt them up to each other.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
central1ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244 View Post
The problem with this idea is frost heave.
Where do you live?.
I live in central New York where the frost line is 42" below grade. Maybe I am not using the correct terminology with "breezeway". What I mean by this is a 8x16 addition that is connected between the gable end of the house and the garage. If the foundation holes for the pole building go down to the frost line, is the issue with frost heave addressed or would there still be some slab movement if the whole slab it not sitting on a foundation that extends below the frost line?
central1ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
trbomax

You should check with the building dept with this. In MI and OH if you attach a structure to a dwelling ,the new part must have a code compliant footing that in some way is keyed to the dwelling footing. In toledo we built a pole structure that was attached to the house,but it had a residential footing that was pinned w/rebar to the house footing. The posts were set in sockets on the footer. Looking back,it was never a problem and never shifted,but in the end it would have cost about the same to stick frame it.I would think that posts set below frost would be ok if your slab had a 18" or so rat wall with rebar that is attached mechanically to the posts,but the zoneing people may have a different oppinion.

edit) I fabbed the sockets with about a 12" x 12" base plate and the sockets welded up useing 1/4 x 6 plate. This was para bolted to the footing. The sockets were 12" deep,not the flimsy ones you buy that are castings.

Last edited by trbomax; 05-30-2011 at 06:45 PM.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote