Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > Garage Sale > Product and Vendor Reviews

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
RCHG

Default Owners feedback of Direct-Lift Pro Park 7 + 8. Also additional safety features.

Hello everyone.

I've searched all over these boards and other forums as well as manufacturer / distributor web sites and have spent dozends of hours researching 4 post automotive hoists.

I am from Toronto, Ontario , Canada. I have visited a few distributors show rooms and seen brand new lifts, unfortunatly never under load with an actual vehicle on them. I am a hobby welder with 8+ years experience and I understand good quality over poor quality weld as well as good and bad structual design, I have also worked as a mechanic under commercial / industrial hoists but am not willing to spend $5,000 for one. My first and foremost concern is my safety, followed by structual rigidity and quality.

I am looking to purchase a 4 post hoist for my garage, mainly for the added parking space as well as to do some service work on my vehicles now and then. I have a single car garage.

For some time now - my decision was to buy an "open channel" 4 post hoist as opposed to the square tube with collar type. Unfortunatly I am swayed by scare tactics, not to choose one type of hoist over another, rather scarred to buy ANY hoist at all as I almost never feel comfortable being under anything heavier than myself. Please no jokes about former girlfriends

I was going to purchase either a Direct-Lift Pro Park 7 or the Direct-Lift Pro Park 8 (some added levelling adjustability and secondary built in "locking" features with the 8 model). I was planning on adding some of my own safety features to whatever 4 post lift I buy. I want to share them with all of you so that you can adapt them to your own hoists (or future hoists) to add some additional safety to it.

My additional safety features are:-

1. to add a hydralic flow restrictor to the cylinder / ram. In case of hydralic failure / hose failure (bursting), this $2.50 piece (available at local hydralic shops) will greatly slow down the decent of the hoist as well as give you some reaction time to engage the "locks". Without this restrictor, if the hydralic pressure was to drop to zero, the hoist would plummit straight down and you would NOT have time to react to engage the "locks". IF you somehow were able to engage the locks, they would most likely fail by shearing off the welded on "lock stops" or tear holes on the post of the tube + collar design post style hoists.

2. to add between the cylinder and the restrictor valve I would also install a shut off valve (much like a tap on your sink). This would add a second "off valve" to the hoist other than just relying on the "dump valve/ button" on the hydralic pump motor resevoir assembly. Yes it means when the hoist is up you need to reach under the runner and manually move the lever to "off" and "on", but I definatly think it's worth the 4 seconds extra time it takes to do so.

3. I plan to use the casters to move the hoist back and forth in my single car garage (and possibly outside as well) and will NOT be bolting down the unit to the concrete floor. So to add additional stability - I am going to add some angle bar stock to the bottom of the posts. These will be adjustable and will not impede the hoists movement up or down.

4. I will be welding up some wheel chalks that will go infront + behind each wheel to prevent vehicle rolling. They will have some "sure grip" type coating on them for added frictional resistance and will also have a "tie in" feature that will link the two sections of the wheel chalks together.

5. I will be making a special "collar" around the cross beams at the "locking mechanism locks" to prevent the locks from moving side to side [they are only inteded to move up and down on a pivot bolt]

6. I will add in stronger springs to the locks (or put some in if they don't already have them) to help them 'engage" in case of hydralic failure while lowering the hoist.

7. I will also use additional structual steel tubing (antena style where one fits inside another with locking pins, like some jack stand have) and prop them up under the 4 corners of the cross beams. In case the whole lift catastrophically fails, these will still hold the hoist up while working under it.

8. There are probably a couple more features I will add to the hoist once I've had some experience with a residential model.

9. I have considered for a long time now - to design and make my own 4 post hoist. If I do this - I will share my design with you all and make the plans available for scrutinization as well as for anyone who would like to build their own hoist. Raw materials may be a hinderence for this purpose. (I weld and have a plasma torch, so this is not beyond me or others like me)

I will photoshop up some photos to illustrate these features later on when I have some extra time and post them up here. Perhaps I will create a new thread just for the added features. What do you guys think about me creating a new thread?

I am looking to hear from some owners of these 2 hoists, both the good and the bad of owning these units (Direct-Lift Pro Park 7 + Direct-Lift Pro Park 8).

If you have either of these, I would like to know the following:-

1. Do the posts bend, bow, sag, or do anything other than stay straight?
2. Do the runways bend, bow, sag, twist, or do anything other than remain solid?
3. Have you experienced any problems with the locking features?
4. Anything you would like to add

My appologies for the long read/post. I am someone who likes to be thorough and likes to put forth an effort.

My Thanks in advace to all your replies.

Cobie.
RCHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
Junkman

Default Re: Owners feedback of Direct-Lift Pro Park 7 + 8. Also additional safety features.

Sounds like you are trying to reinvent the wheel. I have a Bend-Pak HD9, and it is a hydraulic over cable unit. When I put the car up on the lift, I then let it down on the safety's before working under the car. This way, the hydraulics or cables can fail, but there is no catastrophic failure. Also to be considered, is if you start making modifications to any lift, you will void the warranty, and if there is a catastrophic failure, you will have no recourse against the manufacturer. I think that the Bend-Pak HD9 is a superior product, and would have no problem recommending it to anyone. My only regret with my lift is that it is a bit short for my 20+ foot long car. Buy the best that you can afford, and enjoy it, not modify it. The wheel chock idea is a good one, but I don't know how much you would use it. Most times, the car is going to be either in park, or the emergency parking brake engaged.

Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-26-2007, 02:20 AM   #3
RCHG

Default Re: Owners feedback of Direct-Lift Pro Park 7 + 8. Also additional safety features.

I have no intentions of re-inventing the wheel, only to make the wheel last longer and be safer (no blowouts at freeway speeds type thing ). The additions / modifications that I suggested were for safety reasons and extra precautions for when the lift is in motion (either going up or comming down). When you diss-engage the safety locks to lower the hoist - there is nothing but the hydralics and cables holding up the ramps and vehicle. If a cable snaps it could cause one of the corners to drop a foot or so - more than enough to shift the load (car on the ramps) and cause a larger headache than just the broken cable. Worse would happen if the hydralic hose burst, or the dump valve failed, or the cylinder broke off its mount, or the end of the ram where the cables go into the 4point block snaps off. All those events equals the whole thing comming down in a fraction of a second with no time to manually engage the locks. As I stated before, if by chance you did manage to engage the locks, the momentum and enertia would easily shear them off = no locks = disaster. I weigh 220lbs - if I jump up, my enertia now has a force equal to 500-700lbs. A 3,600lbs car + 800lbs of partial hoist can easily generate a force equal to something approximating 21,000lbs, which just so happens to be the amount of force when those locks fail under load testing.

I had no intentions of working under a car that solely relied on the hydralics/cables for support. Those locks are a bare minimum must.

I don't care much for warranty if Im dead. When those columns and ramps do bend and get out of whack - do those companies give you a new hoist or replace those components for free? I think they will come up with excuses saying that it was the operator overloading the hoist. Plus the items/modifications I would make would be things that all manufacturers should be putting onto their hoists now. I only know of one manufacturer that uses braided line ontop of hydralic line. A hydralic valve and restrictor valve should not void waranty. The angle bars bolted to the base plates is the same as bolting the base plates to the ground. Im simply creating a frame on the floor.

I would consider anything less than the modifications I propose to enhance the safety of the hoists as negligence on the part of the manufacturer/distributor. If you buy an impact gun and it explodes sending shrapnel bits into your face causing blindness, scarring, etc... and the manufacturer did not engeneer that particular impact gun well enough to prevent that tragedy - in a court of law, that company can be found negligent causing bodily harm and probably have to pay out a hefty settlement, as well as have their stocks plumit and most likely go out of business. Personally I'd rather have both my eyes working than have one eye and a $3 Million dollar settlement / court award. So if these manufacturers take the cheap way out - then I would have to say that they are negligent in manufacturing their products. I think it should be LAW that all hoists and lifting equipment must have certain minimum safety components and redundancies. There are building codes, electrical codes, emmission controlls on vehicles, safety requirements of all road going vehicles, CSA, American Safety Standards, etc... and there should be a minimal hoist building code/safety requirement - otherwise the hoist is illegal. Just my opinion. If I can come up with those improvements - then Im sure their engineers can come up with much better ones and implement them.

The parking pawl's fail on automatic trannys if enough momentum is used, and a corner dropping due to a snapped cable might be enough force to knock the pawl into the next slot or skip them all together and keep rolling. [ FYI:- a parking pawl is a part inside automatic trannys that is supposed to keep the car in park on mostly level ground. If that car is hit by another car - the parking pawl will dissengage - if the car is in motion (say anything above 5kms / 3Mph) the parking pawl will not engage. just try putting yer car in park when its moving slowly and you'll see what I mean] Emergency brakes applied are a must. But what happens if you have the rear jacked and the back wheels are off? Standard transmissions rely on the parking break and one of the gears as added friction towards rolling resistance.

Im just very safety concious, probably too much, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I am currently rethinking the whole "open channel" post type hoist. Im now leaning towards the tube post type with collar (but Im not overly fond of those manufactureres or the rest of those hoist designs - I only like the tube type post part) OR a very thick guage open column design. I may just wait it out, save up a few more bux and go commercial.

I am still looking to hear from owners or the Direct-Lift Pro Park 7 or 8.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
79rallysport
Wanted dead or alive

I didn't read your whole post but after skimming though and capturing the essence of what you wrote, I thought I should point something out to you.

The hydraulics and cables do nothing except lift the car UP or DOWN, obviously while you are not under the car. They DO NOT hold the car in position while you work on it. That is the job of the safety dogs.

Also, I believe that all safety dogs default in the engaged position. The only way you can disengage them, is to manually pull a lever and hold it. As soon as you let go, the dogs engage.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:10 AM   #5
RCHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79rallysport View Post
I didn't read your whole post but after skimming though and capturing the essence of what you wrote, I thought I should point something out to you.

The hydraulics and cables do nothing except lift the car UP or DOWN, obviously while you are not under the car. They DO NOT hold the car in position while you work on it. That is the job of the safety dogs.

Also, I believe that all safety dogs default in the engaged position. The only way you can disengage them, is to manually pull a lever and hold it. As soon as you let go, the dogs engage.

Thanks - but I already know all of that - and then some.

I want to hear if anyones experienced any probs with residential lifts, like, do the lock dogs not fulley engage, ever have a lock dog slip out, ever have acable snap, or a hose burst, etc...
Old 07-31-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

Personally, if I had to do that much to a lift before I considered it safe, I'd be looking at other manufacturers. I'm not familiar with Direct-Lift, but browsing their website I notice absolutely no information about testing, certification (other than ISO 9001 - which really has nothing to do with safety), or anything along those lines. No ANSI testing, no ALI certification, nothing... So, again, I'd be looking at other manufacturers... Just my $0.02.
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
RCHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAToyota View Post
Personally, if I had to do that much to a lift before I considered it safe, I'd be looking at other manufacturers. I'm not familiar with Direct-Lift, but browsing their website I notice absolutely no information about testing, certification (other than ISO 9001 - which really has nothing to do with safety), or anything along those lines. No ANSI testing, no ALI certification, nothing... So, again, I'd be looking at other manufacturers... Just my $0.02.
I have looked at every manufacturer I could find, and NO ONE makes a super redundant safe hoist and no one but intelligent safety concious minded ppl would buy one (10% of the population), and would place their hoists in the higher end of the spectrum price wise - making it not too competative for cheap shoppers with the Wal Mart mentality.

I dont think Ive come across yet, a residential lift that IS certified. Being its intended use is with civilians/hobiests/etc.. no one puts a lot of effort or money to have their hoist certified, that only seems to be reserved for the commercial market/ professionsl market.

It's only about an extra 15 mins to install those extra added features I talked about, and since Id be assembling the hoist from the crate, its not an issue.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:58 PM   #8
Vicegrip

The locks are all automatic. There is no "reaction time" They lock unless you unlock and hold them unlocked. This is standard for any good lift 2 or 4 post.
Bend Pac is certified. The chances of a lift failing and falling quickly is remote to unheard of with a well maintained unit. If someone does not use or feel the need for all the added items you require they are not bottom feeders on price or build. The 150 lifts I amin charge of at work do not have any of the added items like super strong springs or in line valves and they run all day every day without fail.
The fail safes in modern lifts are there because they are all that is needed to make a safe system. Simple systems that have passed the test of time.
Sometimes things have unintended results. The in line valve could itself cause a line or pump seal failure from your forgetting to release it. The added springs could cause wear on the release system, cause one to not release and jam and over load a component.
The rams have restriction built into them. Adding more might cause the user to get so frustrated with a 120 second loaded and 400 second empty drop that they cheat the locks and down valve so they can do somethign else while the lift is dropping. An empty lift is slow as it is.
"intelligent safety concious minded ppl" Have set the standards and tuned them over many years. Finda lift that you like that conforms to them and use it some. I bet you end up feeling comfortable with it.

I might guess that the best thing to do is purchase a good quality com rated unit and feel safe in knowing that you will put a commercial shop days worth of use on it every 3 months or so.

I am not one to leave things alone and remake almost every thing to fit my needs. The lift is stock so far.

I get the feeling that other hobbies beckon.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 07-31-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Vicegrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:27 PM   #9
icnsltmfg

I have the Pro Park 9, which has a redundant safety latch at each corner. A spring loaded secondary dog reacts to any loss of tension in the cable (from a broken cable, a corner that is not lowering at the same speed, or a sudden loss of hyd pressure as the cables would go slack. I looked at almost every lift out there, and was very pleased with this lift. At a 9000lb rating and the quality of the welds, and safety devices, I am very happy with this unit.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=10914 My Garage Build
2 car 20' X 22' x 11'3" Garage
Pro Park 9 9,000 lb 4 Post Lift
Direct Lift Pro Jack 4500
2 Liftmaster 3800 JackShaft Lifters
11 Lithonia T8 Wrapped Basket 2 bulb 4 footers
T8 Bulbs by Ushio-Color Temp 5000K CRI 86
Lista Stainless Workbench Top
Armstrong VCT Tile Floor
Custom Cabinets by DeWils
Dayton G74 220V 17K BTU Heater
icnsltmfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:17 PM   #10
RCHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
The locks are all automatic. There is no "reaction time" They lock unless you unlock and hold them unlocked. This is standard for any good lift 2 or 4 post.
Bend Pac is certified. The chances of a lift failing and falling quickly is remote to unheard of with a well maintained unit. If someone does not use or feel the need for all the added items you require they are not bottom feeders on price or build. The 150 lifts I amin charge of at work do not have any of the added items like super strong springs or in line valves and they run all day every day without fail.
The fail safes in modern lifts are there because they are all that is needed to make a safe system. Simple systems that have passed the test of time.
Sometimes things have unintended results. The in line valve could itself cause a line or pump seal failure from your forgetting to release it. The added springs could cause wear on the release system, cause one to not release and jam and over load a component.
The rams have restriction built into them. Adding more might cause the user to get so frustrated with a 120 second loaded and 400 second empty drop that they cheat the locks and down valve so they can do somethign else while the lift is dropping. An empty lift is slow as it is.
"intelligent safety concious minded ppl" Have set the standards and tuned them over many years. Finda lift that you like that conforms to them and use it some. I bet you end up feeling comfortable with it.

I might guess that the best thing to do is purchase a good quality com rated unit and feel safe in knowing that you will put a commercial shop days worth of use on it every 3 months or so.

I am not one to leave things alone and remake almost every thing to fit my needs. The lift is stock so far.

I get the feeling that other hobbies beckon.

I want everyone to fully understand that I *DO* know exactly how hoists work. I am merely trying to offer up some added safety ideas and primarily looking to hear from owners of the Direct-Lift Pro Park 7 + 8 hoists.

I KNOW that the locks automatically engage. I know that the only time they dissengage is when the operator diss-engages them to lower the hoist (if you carefully read my posting youd know this). This is exactly when the hoist is vulnerable to dissaster, when its being lowered.

ANY hoist can fall and fall fast due to malfunctions or mechanical failure, or breakage. This is where extra safety devices should be in place.

No where did I even suggest that ppl who do not add extra safety devices are bottom feeders, so please do not put things in my mouth, or imply that I meant anything other than what Ive stated.

The 150 lifts you are incharge of are no doubt commercial lifts and not residential units, correct? Therefore due to their superior strength, quality, etc... they do not require extra safety things because they simply are built way better. To knock down the price for the average home user, much of the strength/thickness of steel needs to be reduced (steel is pricey), use 1 ram instead of 2 or 4 rams, do not use rotary shafts, etc... Flimsy thin walled steel hoist should have extra safety features to compensate for the weak structure.

Simple systems have NOT passed the test of time. When a commercial hoist gets bumped by a car from underneath, they are far more resilliant to tipping over or having a post shift (mainly because they are firmly bolted to the ground), etc... If you bump a residential hoist post, it will knock the lock dog out and that corner will drop, causing the load (car) to shift and lead to a big mess. So those lock dogs are not all that great. The contact point on most dogs are only 1/2 inch, if the floor is not level, expect less contact. Working on a car from underneath and lightly rocking the car (could be using a rolling jack, hammering off a stuck on brake drum, etc..) and that COULD be enough to shake the hoist enough to have a lock dog slip out and cause disaster. Then thats operator fault and manufacturer liability insurance would not cover that, plus your most likely to be under that hoist when performing maintenence/work on the car.

The hydralic valve would have ZERO affect on the hoist. If it were accidentally left on, no fluid would move and the hoist would not move, promting you to open the valve. The ram sucks in fluid to lower the lift, not the other way around. Yes, in raising the hoist the valve would need to be open, wel just put a sign next to the pump switch saying "CHECK TO MAKE SURE VALVE IS OPEN" if your a forgetfull person. If you are a forgetfull person, then the vavle is the least of your worries.

Direct lift Pro Park 7 + 8 already come from the factory with a braided hydralic hose, restrictor valve, and on the 8 model come with secondary engaging safety locks, and adjustable locking ladder to compensate for uneven floors as STANDARD features. The secondary locks engage only if the cables snap or if they loose tention, which triggers the secondary locks to engage. They are the only company Ive seen with extra safety features put there by the manufacturer. I just worry about the columns flexing, bending due to weight and the runways sagging under the wieght of any vehicle.

There is NOTHING wrong with having secondary/extra safety devices on a hoist.

Your car has perfectly working brakes (pads, calipers, hoses, vacum diaphram, brake lines, hydralic fluid, linkages, etc..) and yet it still has a secondary extray safety device known as a parking brake/ emergency brake. Well if every vehicle has properly maintained primary braking devices, why would it need a secondary safety braking device? Because accidents and mechanical failures happen, that's why. So to I belive, car hoists should have.

I hate to say this, but there are loads of stupid ppl in the world. The type that would work on the floor under a car with only a hydralic jack holding it up are the same type of idiots who could cause a severe accident with a hoist (perhps by not cycling the hoist after its been moved to help ensure alignment, not checking to see if the lock dogs are properly engaged before working under it/parking a car under it, list goes on). There are warning labels on hair dryers and electrical devices warning of shock/death/to keep away from water, and there are warning labels in hoist manuals to. But some one always magages to find a way to get hurt, leaving manufacturers open to liability and law suit.

ViceGrip - I whole heartedly hope that I would feel safe under a residential hoist after some experience with one. Again, it,s why Im asking to hear others experience with hoists. Restaling fee's of distributors is a henderence to just "trying one out", I dont have 400-500 bux to play around with, not to mention transporting back and forth the hoist.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:20 PM   #11
PAToyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHG View Post
I dont think Ive come across yet, a residential lift that IS certified. Being its intended use is with civilians/hobiests/etc.. no one puts a lot of effort or money to have their hoist certified, that only seems to be reserved for the commercial market/ professionsl market.
Personally, as you seem to agree, I don't trust the "residential" lift market because it isn't certified. By the time you have added all your safety features in it is better to just step up to the "real thing" and get a certified lift in the first place.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:23 PM   #12
RCHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by icnsltmfg View Post
I have the Pro Park 9, which has a redundant safety latch at each corner. A spring loaded secondary dog reacts to any loss of tension in the cable (from a broken cable, a corner that is not lowering at the same speed, or a sudden loss of hyd pressure as the cables would go slack. I looked at almost every lift out there, and was very pleased with this lift. At a 9000lb rating and the quality of the welds, and safety devices, I am very happy with this unit.
Thank you, you are the first person to supply me with some information that I have been looking for.

How long have you had your hoist for?

Have you ever withnessed any sagging of the runways (not the drive up approach ramps) with a vehicle on it? I am assuming that your runways are the same guage thickness as the Pro Park 8. Do you know if they are the same thickness?

Also, have you ever witnessed your post columns "bowing" under the wieght of a vehicle when the hoist is at or near full lift?

I've just heard horror stories (even by sales ppl) of open channel post columns bowing, spreading open, lock dogs popping out under load, etc..
Can anyone confirm this?

I know the Pro Park 9 has the ladder locks so this would not happen. Im curious if it happens on the Pro Park 7 lift.

Thank you.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:32 PM   #13
RCHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAToyota View Post
Personally, as you seem to agree, I don't trust the "residential" lift market because it isn't certified. By the time you have added all your safety features in it is better to just step up to the "real thing" and get a certified lift in the first place.
Yea - it looks like I will be stepping up to a certified/commercial lift if I get one at all.

I dont REALLY need one, but would like to have one, so I cannot justify a higher price hoist to myself. If the price was right (to me) and the hoist was safe, certified, strong - I would order one in a heartbeat. Im looking to keep total cost (taxes + shipping incl) to under $3,000 Canadian or about $2,500 US Funds.

The Pro Park hoist(s) seem to best fit this criteria of mine. But I am FULLEY open to ideas, suggestions, anything that I may have missed.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:03 AM   #14
PAToyota

From what I've seen, you should be able to find something in that price range that is certified.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:27 PM   #15
icnsltmfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHG View Post
Thank you, you are the first person to supply me with some information that I have been looking for.

How long have you had your hoist for?

Have you ever withnessed any sagging of the runways (not the drive up approach ramps) with a vehicle on it? I am assuming that your runways are the same guage thickness as the Pro Park 8. Do you know if they are the same thickness?

Also, have you ever witnessed your post columns "bowing" under the wieght of a vehicle when the hoist is at or near full lift?

I've just heard horror stories (even by sales ppl) of open channel post columns bowing, spreading open, lock dogs popping out under load, etc..
Can anyone confirm this?

I know the Pro Park 9 has the ladder locks so this would not happen. Im curious if it happens on the Pro Park 7 lift.

Thank you.
I purchased the lift about 2 months ago after 6 months of research.

The ProPark 9 and I beleive the 8 has 5 gauge (5mm) steel runways, and are built very strong. I have not seen ANY flex on the runways.

The columns are 3/16" plate steel pressed into a Triple bend channel. The lock ladders are 1/4 inch steel, and the primary dog engages more than 1/2".

Take a look at the Greg Smith site and it gives you great pictures and specs of each lift and safety feature.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Ph...=TPPRO%2DPARK8

I was a bit skeptical until I saw a few of my friends lifts that were very light weight, moved a bit even with a car on it, and had all of the dog's, rods, and other things exposed, where the ProPark has all of the safety and rods covered / hidden. Even with the lift fully raised without a car on it, it does not shake or move if you tried to rock it. When I first assembled the unit, had not finished adjusting the safety locks / rods, and one corner did not disengage fully while on the way down. the runways dipped slightly and caused all of the cables to sag, and the safety locks snapped against the lock ladder and would have engaged the next opening if it continued to drop. I would not look at the 7 as it is the low end hobby type design like many of the others and I was not please with it. I also ordered the the 4500 lb 2 arm jack that rides between the rails of the lift. It rides on small steel rollers, and it moves to effortlessly, I can't wait to do my first break job.

BTW, I called Pro-Park directly regarding a few questions (I wanted to add a hyd quick connect on the side of the runway when the unit is not in use) and the engineer (in the US) who helped design and wrote the install / operating manual was overly helpful.
Adam

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=10914 My Garage Build
2 car 20' X 22' x 11'3" Garage
Pro Park 9 9,000 lb 4 Post Lift
Direct Lift Pro Jack 4500
2 Liftmaster 3800 JackShaft Lifters
11 Lithonia T8 Wrapped Basket 2 bulb 4 footers
T8 Bulbs by Ushio-Color Temp 5000K CRI 86
Lista Stainless Workbench Top
Armstrong VCT Tile Floor
Custom Cabinets by DeWils
Dayton G74 220V 17K BTU Heater
icnsltmfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #16
r cole

I have a pro park 8: it appears that the safety cable locks do not engauge to the lock ladder. Does any one else see this problem
r cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:46 PM   #17
r cole

Have you heard of the direct lift slack cable safety lock not catching in the lock ladder?
r cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #18
Toms94

I recently (about 3 weeks ago) got my ProPark 8s and I am very happy with it. Now to answer a couple of questions that have come up.

1. The ProPark series has safety devices as suggested by r cole.

2. To r cole, the safety latches do not engage at all times, only when slack occurs in the cable. Does this work? Yes, I can say for a fact that if there is slack in the cable the safety latch does engage. How do I know this? In the assembly process I routed the cables on the wrong side of the safety pulley. The lift would go up, but would not come down, because the slack in the cables forced the safety latches into the engaged position. It appears to me that the system is very efficient and functional. Once I got the cable routed properly, the lift works just as it should.

3. The ProPark series lifts have a flow reducer to reduce the bleed off in case of a hydraulic line breaking.

I am very satisfied and convinced that my lift is safe.
Toms94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #19
Transamglen

I just installed my Pro Park 8 Plus and must say it is a well built machine. I think I made the right choice in lifts. It was easy to assemble and it don't budge. Greg Smith equipment gave me a great deal. If you are looking for a lift this is great all around.
Transamglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:03 PM   #20
Rothaus

I have a direct lift from Greg Smith and I'm happy with it. The only thing I would improve is the casters.

Other then that, I like it. I also have the 2 hydraulic jacks.

Cheers
Engelbert
Rothaus is offline   Reply With Quote