Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
Tom2

Default Scrappers: How much do you usually get for ovens, fridges, freezer, washers, dryers,

This time of year I have seen a ton of these for free. Basically several a day. With gas being what it is, is it worth scrapping these?

I've only been to the scrap yard a couple times with junk car parts, so I have no idea what appliances tend to draw.
Tom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Mr.Nutcase

Default Re: Scrappers: How much do you usually get for ovens, fridges, freezer, washers, drye

I am wondering too,.....
Old 06-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Zeke

Default Re: Scrappers: How much do you usually get for ovens, fridges, freezer, washers, drye

Old heavy ranges can get 75, fridges 50.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Tom2

That's not too bad..
Tom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Underdog

Last week the scrap yard was paying $8.00 a hundred weight. $160 a ton.
for white goods appliances. Note the yard had a note at checkout that states all appliances most be free of all freon refrigerants! Now when I ran a small scrap yard years ago the large metal processor that I sold to made me sign a Letter that all freon refrigerants were properly removed from all white goods. No yard ever did this as you just crushed them along with the cars in the crusher. It would cost a fortune to manually remove freon from household AC and refrigerators. I suspect the same goes on today as I don't see anybody reclaim refrigerants from home appliances.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
crewchief888

around here appliances are considered "sheet iron"

i ran a load of scrap this morning

auto batteries $1/ea
aluminum wheels $0.52 /lb
cast iron, prepped auto drums/ rotors $300/ton
sheet iron $240/ton

my load was a mix of sheetmetal, unprepped cast, unprepped alternators, some heavy wall tubing, scrap angle iron, 4 batteries and 4 alum wheels.

walked away with $205 and change.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #7
ratdoggy

11 cents per pound. And don't put bricks in the washing machines. Because if I think it looks a little too heavy I will wait till it's off your truck and then make you reload it!!
ratdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdoggy View Post
11 cents per pound. And don't put bricks in the washing machines. Because if I think it looks a little too heavy I will wait till it's off your truck and then make you reload it!!
How about water in the water heaters??
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
frednoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
How about water in the water heaters??
A little bit of a trickle when it's picked up won't draw much attention from my guys. But if it's pouring water, you'll have weight knocked off of your ticket for water.

Bricks in a washer will get you thrown out of our place. We don't try to get over on anyone, and expect the same from our customers.
frednoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
Garage5.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt View Post
Old heavy ranges can get 75, fridges 50.
Damn thats pretty good. Over here in hawaii i only get 75$ for a small car
Quote:
lucky , i only get 0.03$/pound
Garage5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
ratdoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frednoah View Post
A little bit of a trickle when it's picked up won't draw much attention from my guys. But if it's pouring water, you'll have weight knocked off of your ticket for water.

Bricks in a washer will get you thrown out of our place. We don't try to get over on anyone, and expect the same from our customers.
A little is normal but I've seen washers full of wet clothes,freezers full of deer meat (yuck),driers with broken cinder blocks and of course people trying to stay off the scale on the reweigh.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #12
ratdoggy

Quote:
Today was a guy with a newer dishwasher (they are pretty much all plastic) he had small tires stuffed in it. Of course I check the stuff once they unload it so I can see the look on their faces when I tell them to reload it and get it out of here.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #13
timtim2008

how much for a hot water heater?
timtim2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #14
OccupantRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewchief888 View Post
around here appliances are considered "sheet iron"

i ran a load of scrap this morning

auto batteries $1/ea
aluminum wheels $0.52 /lb
cast iron, prepped auto drums/ rotors $300/ton
sheet iron $240/ton

my load was a mix of sheetmetal, unprepped cast, unprepped alternators, some heavy wall tubing, scrap angle iron, 4 batteries and 4 alum wheels.

walked away with $205 and change.

A business here pays $5 for a battery. Saw it on his sign a week ago.

It's always easier to find a reason NOT to do something.....
OccupantRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #15
willy3486

I posted about taking some off yesterday. I averaged it out and scrap was 11 cents a pound. I hauled off 3 loads in a mazda b2200 and I have a camper top so it wouldn't hold as much as without and I also loaded my 4x6 trailer. I did 3 loads of scrap and had 3 buckets of #2 copper at 70 pounds. I will wind up with 460 bucks when I can get the rest for copper. We have to wait 5 days to get paid for copper because of thieves. SSo for me if I could get a load of that stuff I would take it. Even with my small truck I was average around 88 bucks a load with just the scrap.
willy3486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #16
bentwrench54

Quote:
Today was a guy with a newer dishwasher (they are pretty much all plastic) he had small tires stuffed in it. Of course I check the stuff once they unload it so I can see the look on their faces when I tell them to reload it and get it out of here.

what about a chest freezer that is filled with other scrap metal (sheet iron type metal)

do you remove it with a crane and magnet?

the yard i take my scrap to, they say nothing about this type of load. they mag it off and fling it into the pile.

it's cool as hell watching a freezer flying through the air.
bentwrench54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:05 PM   #17
tcsalvage

if you take the time to separate the copper and aluminum (cleaned) it pays alot better, if you then put all your appliances inside a vehicle you get vehicle price for all of the tin. if you have alot of extra time strip the wiring harness out of the vehicles before you scrap them and sell it separate as copper wire. batteries fluxuate along with everything else sometimes worth taking out sometimes not but always remove the cats.
tcsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #18
wafrederick

Where I work at,the place that buys the catalytic converters that stops pays a certain amount for the aluminum wheels for each wheel.Last time it was $12.00 for each wheel with the wheel weights and valve core removed.One scrap yard in my area subtracts if the tanks including the bottoms and tops are not removed from radatiors.Includes steel wheels too if the wheel weights are not removed.There were a couple thieves that got caught trying to steal down power lines in Calhoun County in Michigan.It did not work and they went to jail.The lines were still live probally too.Most scrap places will not take empty propane tanks including empty 30 pound R134A and R12 tanks,the empty aerosel brake clean and carb clean spray cans.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #19
ratdoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwrench54 View Post
what about a chest freezer that is filled with other scrap metal (sheet iron type metal)

do you remove it with a crane and magnet?

the yard i take my scrap to, they say nothing about this type of load. they mag it off and fling it into the pile.

it's cool as hell watching a freezer flying through the air.
That would be OK as it's steel. We don't have a magnet as we do it as a side line to our paper recycling we'll use a bobcat or a loader.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #20
ratdoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsalvage View Post
if you take the time to separate the copper and aluminum (cleaned) it pays alot better, if you then put all your appliances inside a vehicle you get vehicle price for all of the tin. if you have alot of extra time strip the wiring harness out of the vehicles before you scrap them and sell it separate as copper wire. batteries fluxuate along with everything else sometimes worth taking out sometimes not but always remove the cats.
Sometimes the labor to do that isn't worth the money.