Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Speed-Racer

Default Match for Quincy blue paint

Working on painting some air compressor accessories and some marks on the legs of a Quincy blue compressor. Has any found a really good match for the Quincy blue in the rattle cans?
Speed-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
mark40sw

Default Re: Match for Quincy blue paint

I had to touch up a Quincy and the rust-oleum "gloss royal blue" was close but a couple shades lighter.

I swear quincy sells blue paint for them but can not find any reference to it now.
mark40sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
W-Cummins
Too much stuff

Ford equipment blue is a good match. Is yours a newer or older model? Quincy has changed it's shade of blue over the years ( the older machines were darker). I have also noticed a change from the ford blue in spray cans to the stuff in quarts. but they aren't a bad match. My QR25 model 390 rebuild is in my build thread link below, you might want to check out the blue paint there.

William....

1998 Dodge 3500 12 Valve TST 10, 3K GSK, ddp stage IV injectors, SB con-Fe
1987 Chevy 3500 24 valve Cummins, Nv4500, DD#2 injectors, Edge Comp
1955 Ford F100
1941 Chevy Panel
W-Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Speed-Racer

Appreciate the replies. The tank has a build date of 1987, it is an SLT pump with a 5hp motor.
Speed-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
hilld

Call quincy, they sent me a spray can of their paint when I purchased the compressor as it had some shipping damage. Mine was free, but you can certainly order it from them.

Barn makeover

Motorcycle lift build (for 2 post lift)
hilld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
skang

Always check with manufactures first.
skang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
W-Cummins
Too much stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Racer View Post
Appreciate the replies. The tank has a build date of 1987, it is an SLT pump with a 5hp motor.
That is probably the older, darker color of blue, used on your machine. Mine was a 1993 vintage and had the old color on it. I think the later color is less than 10 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilld View Post
Call quincy, they sent me a spray can of their paint when I purchased the compressor as it had some shipping damage. Mine was free, but you can certainly order it from them.
Well, you almost certainly will not be able to order it from Quincy, as they only sell through their distributors. My local (2 with in a 100 miles) distributors were a hit and miss type of deal, one was very good the other not so great. Also when I was rebuilding mine it seemed that they didn't have the older color anymore. The new stuff they had was $$ after shipping it so I didn't use it. They were also very happy about the decals on the machine, the new style Quincy decal was like $60+... Of course in my case it mattered little if the shade wasn't an exact match as I painted the whole machine.

William....
W-Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Perry H

I'm currently painting a 1997 Quincy "Barney Edition" (that was purple from the factory) blue.

I picked up two of the closest colors I could spot at the local Home Depot... Krylon True Blue and Rustoleum Safety Blue. I thought the Safety Blue was going to be the way to go, but I shot both colors on a piece of scrap and took it to Northern Tool to hold up to the Quincy compressors they have in stock. The Safety Blue it too light/bright. It actually was a much closer match for the Puma compressors they also had in stock. The Safety Blue is also a very close match to my Miller welding table - it's just missing a tad of green (i.e., the welding table is a tad more green).

The Krylon True Blue was closer to the Quincy compressor, though perhaps a tad darker. I've got the compressor painted, but not the tank. My garage lighting is making it look much more of a dark navy blue color, but I'm going to have to trust my test at Northern Tool. I wouldn't care so much, but I plan on getting a Quincy air dryer, and I would like for them to be a decent match.
Perry H is offline   Reply With Quote