Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
JML2

Default Air Compressor/Pump for Inflating Tires

Has anyone any experience with this AC-powered air compressor?

Craftsman 1.5 Gallon Portable Air Compressor with Hose and 8PC Accessory Kit | Sears Item# 00915309000 | Model# 15309

All I want is an AC-powered unit to use for inflating car tires; I do not need a compressor for air tools or painting, and I do not want a 12V inflator. The online reviews are pretty positive, and the competing models from various other sources seem to have plenty of negative reports.
JML2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
pipsters

Default Re: Air Compressor/Pump for Inflating Tires

If all you are going to be doing is inflating tires, they have dedicated units out there that will do that. You just hook the hose up and turn the compressor on and it pumps directly into the tire, vs. going into a tank then into the tire. CH makes one I used at the in-laws, it worked well. 120v unit. They are also a lot smaller.
pipsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Todd.Brock

I have a 2 HP 8 gallon CMAN portable compressor for doing trim work with brad nailers, etc. That thing has to cycle on just to put air in 2 tires. I would get the bigggest you can afford/have room for. Its not normally a huge deal, but they are so damn noisy when they cycle on.
Todd.Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
JML2

I forgot, but in addition to doing 35 PSI for my car, I might as well get a unit that can go up to 120 PSI for road bike tires. Will likely get one of these Prestaflators to go along with the compressor:

The noise from a compressor doesn't bother me, as it'll be used infrequently.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
jeb1978

I have this same model.

It works OK. Be prepared for it to run or cycle constantly when using it for anything. Works OK for car tires around 30 to 35 psi, seems to struggle when I try to inflate my truck tires to 60 psi. I have a 50' Flexzilla hose hooked to it, which might store more air than the little tank that's on it.

I've used it to inflate an air mattress a few times... it's better than inflating it yourself, but it has to run the pump constantly to keep the air flowing.

Mine is about 7 years old, only problem I've had with it was the hose that connects the pump to the tank burst. A few hose clamps and a section of fuel hose from the local hardware store fixed it. The case is assembled with Torx screws that are buried pretty deep, it takes a screwdriver with a pretty long reach to undo them.

All in all, it has worked for me. I found mine at local Sears on closeout for $25... figured I couldn't go too wrong. I would struggle a bit to pay the full $100 or so it normally lists for... would be better to spend the extra $20 or so to get a compressor with a larger tank.
jeb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
JML2

Thanks for the information and suggestions! I also found that the Prestaflator website has an almost-hidden page with specs and information about a good number of compressors for this purpose: http://www.prestacycle.com/air_compressors.php