Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
W_KY

Default Plastic Shed: attaching items to walls

The wife and I just bought a house and a small outdoor shed came with it. Its nothing special (about 8x8 and sits on a wooden platform that I think was once for a hottub) but it gives me a place to put shovels, rakes, garden hose, etc instead of taking up valuable garage space. It looks like this:

http://news.webshots.com/photo/13199...65030830vSTcHQ

I was trying to think of a way to attach items to the wall so I can hang stuff. About the only thing I can think of would be liquid nails and I have no idea if that would work. My other option is to essentially build freestanding shelves inside the building.

Although I do have lock on the shed I don't plan to put anything too valuable in there cause I think with a sharp utility knife or reciporcating saw you could be inside it.

Any other idea I'm just not thinking of?
W_KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Zeke

Default Re: Plastic Shed: attaching items to walls

You won't find that adhesive works too well with vinyl in shear, which is what a shelf would be. Many sheds have built in recesses for some cleats or cross members, look for those first. Free standing shelving inside is always good as it's redoable depending on changing needs. Lastly, look up at the top of the wall and see if there is a place to hang any kind of bracket that you can build down from.

Oh, and you can screw in from the outside using stainless screws.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
southalabama

go with freestanding shelving
southalabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Killer95Stang

Ditto on the free standing shelves.. I used the simpson strong ties and built shelves out of 2 x4's and scrap plywood.. Use them to hold a majority of my home construction type tools (miter saw, table saw, nailers, small compressor, ect. Really comes in handy. I sometimes worry about thieves, but the alternative is putting this stuff in the garage next to my cars, which is a no go..
Killer95Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
green.bubbly

Put your wife in the shed and bring your tools inside the house.

You can thank me later.

My garage and steel home build thread...
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91518
green.bubbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
mbatarga

I've got a vinyl shed of similar construction. When faced with the same issue of hanging shovels, rakes, etc. I "framed" two adjoining walls using 2x4 lumber. On two adjacent walls, I used 3 studs (each corner and one in the middle) and then placed a 2x4 "header" on top. I fastened them together with wood screws and attached them to the wall with some angle brackets I had. Then I pre-drilled holes for placement of nails where I wanted things to be hung. I've since added mounting spots for a spreader, garden sprayers, hedge trimmers, etc.

I've also got two side by side metal shelf units for chainsaws, hoses, yard chemicals, etc.
mbatarga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
W_KY

mbatarga - That sounds like a winner right there. I'll do shovel hanging down one side and the back with free standing shelves down the other. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
mbatarga

Hey - I used to live just south of Denton - in Corinth (1986-1992). I worked at the TI plant in Lewisville.
mbatarga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
W_KY

I just thought of a better idea. I'll do a free standing shelving unit down each side. Then along the back at the top I'll just run a 2 x4 connecting the two (giving me a place to hang stuff and make the shelves sturdier).
Old 06-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by W_KY View Post
I just thought of a better idea. I'll do a free standing shelving unit down each side. Then along the back at the top I'll just run a 2 x4 connecting the two (giving me a place to hang stuff and make the shelves sturdier).
What do you need us for?
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote