Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > Fabrication & Techniques

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #1
330Scott

Default What is "Swedging"?

I have a rough idea, but need a more thorough explanation of what it exactly is and how & why it is done.

Just curious.

Thanks,
330Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:54 AM   #2
kenfath

Default Re: What is "Swedging"?

Swedging is the process of changing the diameter of metal tubing. Some of the metal baseball bats are produced using a swedging process. Usually it is done to join two pieces by expanding the the diameter of one piece so another wil slip inside. The only practical example I had was in a refrigeration school many years ago. The assignment was to join or connect two pieces of refrigeration copper tubing. One piece was swedged -- the inside diameter was expanded by driving a punch-like tool inside the tubing that was held in a die-like tool that formed the outside diameter. The other piece of tubing fit inside the swedged end. Next part of the assignment was to solder the joint, which was my first time at soldering copper tubing/piping. Following inspection by the instructor we sawed the joint apart to check the solder penetration. I was very impressed how the solder had flowed into the joint. The lesson learned was soldering copper was easy especially when fittings were used and you didn't have to swedge the tubing.
kenfath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-28-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
lino

I think the proper term is "swage" or swaging. (unless I'm thinking of something else). I believe it's commonly pronounced as you've spelled above though.

Essentially it's uniformly squeezing a pipe or tube. Common usage is to attach fittings on to the ends of wire rope.

Another common usage is in tube fittings. Swagelock is one of the leading brands of high-end fittings, note the name.

For more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swage

ciao

lino
lino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
RPH

Another use is the fitting is to clamp cable ends. Allows cable to be looped and locked in place. Think of it as an industrial crimp connector. Done right can be very strong joint.
RPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:38 PM   #5
wilbilt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lino View Post
I think the proper term is "swage" or swaging.
lino
Yes, that is the term.
wilbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
v8garage

It is also a blacksmith term where a "swage" or "swedge" block is used to form hot metal. I think this is probably the older use of the word before it was used in reference to tubing.
v8garage is offline   Reply With Quote