Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
Shadowdog500

Default Is a 10 ton hydraulic press sufficient?

I've been thinking of getting a hydraulic press but to be quite honest the 20 ton HF press don't look like it is made to take a full 20 tons. Maybe 20 tons is when it flys apart!

Dake makes a 10 ton utility press that appears to be pretty well made and it is priced not much more that the HF or Greg smith 20 ton press. Dake is the the name in hydraulic presses of all sizes so I imagine that this press would be a true 10 ton press. They are a US company that manufactures in the USA, but I am still trying to find out if this particular press is made in the US.

Is 10 tons sufficent for most stuff you need to do in an automotive hobby garage?

Does anyone here have one?

Thanks,

Chris

Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
GDA

Default Re: Is a 10 ton hydraulic press sufficient?

My 10 ton OTC has been more than sufficient for all the bushing and bearing work on my BMWs and LRover.
GDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-10-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
nissan_crawler

For most things it will be. I nearly stalled out our 35 ton press doing the axle bearings on the rearend of my little nissan pickup. It got to the point I covered the front of the press with canvas. The bearings shot off hard enough to hit the ceiling of the quonset and explode. That was a little unnerving. I just about had the same thing with a spindle on my John Deere mower deck. I had the 20 ton HF press about stalled trying to get the shaft out of the rusted bearings, and the entire cast hub finally exploded. I had propped a piece of plywood across the front of it, luckily.

You can usually tell when things are starting to get stupid.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:04 AM   #4
gunguy

Get a 20 ton unit. When I worked in an auto parts store in the '70s, we removed and installed axel bearings, pinion bearings, and such. We started with a 10 ton press then upgraded to a 20 ton unit. Big difference; the smaller unit would flex on occasion and that can be a safety issue.

My .02

Respectfully,

Jim
gunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:44 AM   #5
Zebu Fellenz

Buy the biggest and BEST press you can afford.

10 ton will likely be enough for most work and I would much rather have a 10 ton Dake than a 20 ton HF.

Personally I would keep an eye on the industrial surplus market and try to find a 40-60+ ton US made press.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
justanengineer

Location: In a house, attached to a garage, on a street, in a city, in NW Indiana...

My father has a Bendpak rated at 70 tons, and 4 feet working width. Ive found the limiting factor in presses has more to do with the working width than the tonnage applied, but maybe Im a bit different than most. I like having extra room so we can leave extra cylinders mounted, and you can then get multiple pulling/pushing points and do combinations of push/pull as well. If you can find one, the larger is always better. Try to find one that isnt bottle jack powered, has a force/pressure gauge, and has a mechanical table lift if at all possible. As with most other tools, a quality press will hold its value should you ever want to sell it, whereas the cheap bottle jack inspired ones only depreciate.
"I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

WANTED: Super Clean or NOS Peterson Vise-Grips.
Please look here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...28#post3699228
justanengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
Shadowdog500

I called Dake and found out this press is made on China.

Since it is made offshore I would not get one without seeing one first and no one has one around here to show. I think I may take a trip to Greg smith to see if thier 20 ton air/hydraulic is any good.

I really don't want an industrial sized press, they take up a lot of room and I have access to a monster sized Dake at the machine shop at work if I get a stubborn part.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 06-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
noggin

This is the next big item I'm looking for. Doubt I would use very often but when you need it you need it. I'll look on CL, garage sales & auctions for a while before I buy.
noggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
ironheadtom

In my opinion the 20 ton is the way to go. They can be pretty affordable when they go on sale. I have found even the 20 ton would strain on certain mid size projects ( old stuck ball joints and control arm bushings, etc.)
ironheadtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
Vicegrip

I recommend you get the largest press you can fit and pay for. Size matters.

I used a 20 ton HF press for many years. It worked just fine until I gave it away after getting a 1970 ACCO that needed a rebuild. The ACCO is slightly easer to use with a hand-wheel type valve and it has a pressure gauge which is nice. The best part by far is it larger in frame size than the HF was.
I see little improvement in basic function. Lets face it a shop press is not a high accuracy device like a mill or lathe. The user is far more important in the safety of a shop press than the maker IMO. Brute forcing something rather than heating and or making sure the parts are lined up and the force is direct and true. I drove a bearing right through an inside retaining ring rather than spend the time to clean the gunk off and see it. Doh! That one cost me a day chasing down a replacement pump motor bell housing and $90. I drape a heavy rag around some things while they are under high pressure. Another vote for a larger press is you can get a press powered metal brake. Handy for bending thicker than sheet metal. Your vice and hammer will thank you.

A wise man knows his ignorance. A fool thinks he knows everything.

Last edited by Vicegrip; 06-10-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Vicegrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
Shadowdog500

Darn,
Just missed out o a big dake that went for $250 on auction near me. Still looking

Chris

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 07-07-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #12
srmofo

The biggest issue I see with the larger presses is their size. That eats up a large section of floor space and you cant really do anything else with them but leave it right in your damn way.
srmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #13
Scotto

A couple of you guys mentioned putting some canvas on the item being pressed for protection. What's that gonna do compared to 10-20 tons of pressure? I always put a 3/4" plywood sheet in front and even that I'm worried about.
Scotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:52 AM   #14
kool55

Chris, A 20 ton bottle jack press is fine for anything you will do at home. If its a tough job, a little heat will make it much easier. We still use that setup at work. Bought it back in the early 70's. We have other press methods too.
On the other hand I found this 50 ton Dake on C list for $700. In my home shop.

kool55 is offline   Reply With Quote