Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
chewy7

Default klutch 3/8 impact wrench

any body use this impact?http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4363_200464363
Old 06-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
padronanniversary

Default Re: klutch 3/8 impact wrench

my neighbor uses one. He's only had it about 1 month, but I can tell you it is heavy. Also not the power of a IRti or snappy.
padronanniversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
chewy7

well i got high flow v series couplers and running 125-135 psi at the regulator and a 25ft. 3/8 hose, maybe that have enough air flow for good power.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #4
Pro-Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by padronanniversary View Post
my neighbor uses one. He's only had it about 1 month, but I can tell you it is heavy. Also not the power of a IRti or snappy.
I doubt it is too heavy being composite.
According to Northern tool the ship weight for the Klutch is only 3lbs, the IR 2115TIMAX is 4lbs...

I have the 1/2" drive one and love it. It's a great impact for someone on a budget or like me that don't use impacts that often.
Pro-Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
chewy7

im just looking for a light weight alternative for when i don't need the torque of a strong 1/2" impact wrench. but i don't want to go too cheap lol. I was looking to get a 3/8" kobalt impact wrench, but would prefer composite construction. I have a cp734h that im looking to sell and get maybe a aircat 1100k . So i can have a lighter weight alternative in 3/8" and 1/2". In another thread im also looking at getting a 3/8 socket set.

You guys see i have a couple sets snap-on impact sockets up to 24mm 311IMYA and 315IMDMYA up to 1 inch sets i got on a huge craiglist score last year. Plus s-k deep impact sockets in 1/2" drive up to 1 1/4". So i want to get a stronger 1/2" impact wrench and add a decent 3/8" impact for the smaller sizes.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
Cryts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy7 View Post
im just looking for a light weight alternative for when i don't need the torque of a strong 1/2" impact wrench. but i don't want to go too cheap lol.
The Craftsman Professional composite-body 3/8 impacts (model # 235-19916) are on clearance at Sears. They're rebadged IR 2115s - no Ti or any other letters, but still light, powerful, and IR-quality.

I just scooped up the last one at the Racine Sears for $49 after a 5% clearance discount and 10% friends & family discount!
Cryts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
chewy7

i might have to call the grafton or germantown sears and see if they have any left
Old 06-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
shampoop

If that thing performs good, or even average, for $70 that's excellent value for a non-pro. I'm sure my IR 2115qtimax is quite a bit better, but then again, the cheapest you can find one is around $225 shipped http://www.tiretoolsonline.com/IR211...X_p_23637.html
shampoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #9
Ingram306

you mentioned the kobalt impact wrench... I grabbed one about a year ago on clearance because it was an open package... The thing is surprisingly powerful and it is next to silent compared to my Mac AW5500m. I would definitely reccomend it
Ingram306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #10
chewy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
If that thing performs good, or even average, for $70 that's excellent value for a non-pro. I'm sure my IR 2115qtimax is quite a bit better, but then again, the cheapest you can find one is around $225 shipped http://www.tiretoolsonline.com/IR211...X_p_23637.html
That looks like a nice gun and all, but i wont be making any more money with that. I can get a much more powerful AirCat 1100-K or 1200-K for a little less than that model. Plus I wont be wrenching professionally everyday but in a farm shop. So they might see infrequent heavy duty usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingram306 View Post
you mentioned the Kobalt impact wrench... I grabbed one about a year ago on clearance because it was an open package... The thing is surprisingly powerful and it is next to silent compared to my Mac AW5500m. I would definitely recommend it
I could get both the Klutch and Kobalt 3/8 impact wrench and see if a 20 dollar difference means any thing . And do a comparison test of speed, loudness and torque and what not

Last edited by chewy7; 06-13-2011 at 07:51 AM.
chewy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:05 AM   #11
chewy7

since the klutch model has some better numbers for torque specs
Old 06-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
tool_enthusiast

Quote:
you mentioned the kobalt impact wrench... I grabbed one about a year ago on clearance because it was an open package... The thing is surprisingly powerful and it is next to silent compared to my Mac AW5500m. I would definitely reccomend it
Do you have the exact model number of your Kobalt? Been thinking of getting a 3/8 impact too, but I want one that's also decently quiet.
tool_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #13
Ingram306

The model is #SGY-AIR111
Ingram306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #14
chewy7

Quote:
The model is #SGY-AIR111
i think the new part number is SGY-AIR141
Old 06-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #15
shampoop

Quote:
That looks like a nice gun and all, but i wont be making any more money with that. I can get a much more powerful AirCat 1100-K or 1200-K for a little less than that model. Plus I wont be wrenching professionally everyday but in a farm shop. So they might see infrequent heavy duty usage.
What? Are you looking for a 1/2" or 3/8" impact?
shampoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #16
chewy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
What? Are you looking for a 1/2" or 3/8" impact?
You see, im not going to get a $250.00 3/8" impact. For me that would be kinda stupid getting a 3/8" impact that costs more than a higher torque 1/2" one. That's why i would like to keep a budget of no more than $125.00 ish. Preferably less than $75.00 for a 3/8" impact wrench.

Last edited by chewy7; 06-13-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #17
chewy7

so far the klutch model is starting to look appealing because a composite impact wrench wont freeze your hands in the cold winter. A Composite 3/8" impact wrench is where i am leaning towards getting.

Last edited by chewy7; 06-13-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #18
tool_enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryts View Post
The Craftsman Professional composite-body 3/8 impacts (model # 235-19916) are on clearance at Sears. They're rebadged IR 2115s - no Ti or any other letters, but still light, powerful, and IR-quality.

I just scooped up the last one at the Racine Sears for $49 after a 5% clearance discount and 10% friends & family discount!
I just snagged the last one at my Sears. It was the floor model though, so no user manual. This thing is definitely compact at around 6 inches long. Do you happen to have the user manual? I just need to know what it says about the grease port on the hammer housing. What kind of grease do they recommend using? How do you know it's a rebadged IR 2115?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #19
tool_enthusiast

Quote:
When I look at the specs of this particular model, with the compact size and 300+ ft lbs of torque, it really looks good. You get compact-ness as well as power; not sure how you can go wrong with it as long as it lasts a long time.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #20
Cryts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool_enthusiast View Post
I just snagged the last one at my Sears. It was the floor model though, so no user manual. This thing is definitely compact at around 6 inches long. Do you happen to have the user manual? I just need to know what it says about the grease port on the hammer housing. What kind of grease do they recommend using? How do you know it's a rebadged IR 2115?
Sorry, it's not a 2115 it's a 2112.

One clue that it's an IR is the reverse/forward buttons it has are patented by IR. The two guns are basically twins:

I've read elsewhere that all the Craftsman air tools with a model number (found on the sticker opposite the Craftsman logo) starting with "235" are rebadged IRs, and most of the others nowadays are made by Florida Pneumatic. This makes sense since the 1/2" version is a 235-19905 and is a rebadged 2130.

I can't find the manual for the 3/8", but here's the 1/2" since I'm sure they're the same:

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/owne...t+wrench+3%2F8

"Craftsman 18830 Grease for routine external lubrication of the impact mechanism through the Hammer Case Grease Fitting."
Cryts is offline   Reply With Quote