Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2007, 11:00 PM   #1
PxTx

Default Finishing an enclosed trailer?

I'm moving next month into a home with over 2 acres, which would allow me to get an enclosed car trailer. This is something I've always wanted, and I should be able to write it off as a moving expense. After looking at a 24' unit bare bones for the price of about $6500 and the fully optioned out ones at double the price I figured I'd search around here to see if anyone has finished the interior of their trailer on their own.

I'm not really sure if there are trailer specific materials, but they all seem to look the same no matter who the manufacturer is. Does anyone have some links or resources?
PxTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #2
PxTx

Default Re: Finishing an enclosed trailer?

Do I have this in the wrong section or something? I thought somebody would have BTDT.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-07-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
rjspitz

I've put flooring in an enclosed 5x10. I used 12"x12" stick-on vinyl tiles. Never done the full finish in the trailer though.

I'd imagine you'd want something light-weight, easily cleaned, and water resistant, something like FRP panels.
rjspitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
OldCarGuy

I wouldn’t think that it would be cost effective to build out a standard car hauler with living space. You would be time and money ahead to purchase a used travel trailer. A friend of mine just sold his 26 footer with a slide out for $2,400.00. It was twelve years old and little use. Had a full kitchen with appliances, full bathroom, heating and A/C. That’s less than the cost of a comparable car hauler.

My "Class Act" Car Hauler's===> Structural Failure

OldCarGuy's New Toy Shop Complex
OldCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
PxTx

Sounds like I may have been a litle unclear. I'm looking to purchase a 24' car hauler and finish the interior with things like the flooring, white side panels, front toolbox, winch, auxiliarry 120v lighting and some 12v as well.

I would love to buy one used, but I am having a tough time finding one under $6500 and within 100 miles of my home (subs of Philly).

I don't need any living quarters, but a clean, brightt, organized workspace.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
OldCarGuy

No my bad,, I misinterpreted…

Your best bet would be to order a Haulmark trailer on the internet to get your best price. Pick and choose the options determined by what you would rather do yourself or have come from the factory installed. So many options are cheaper from Haulmark than you can do yourself. You can arrange to pick it up at anyone of their factories. And I believe they can manufacture your trailer at their Mcadoo Pennsylvania plant. What is about 100 miles from Philadelphia.

I would make sure it is a 102” wide model with at least 5200 pound axles.

I have purchased three trailers over the years from Haulmark. The first one I ordered was a basic unit then I added cabinets, wintch, tool boxes, painted the walls and ceiling white, and epoxy painted the floor. After one year I realized I made a mistake and sold it. It took several weeks and I got what I paid for it. Then I purchased a new one with larger axle capacity, wider, higher interior height, finished interior, tiled floor, cabinets, etc. I realized for what they wanted for most upgrades, I had better things to do with my time.

The following link is my most recent trailer. I did get away from Haulmark! The Class Act has features that Haulmark doesn’t offer. And cost about 20% more.

My new mobile toy chest…

My "Class Act" Car Hauler's===> Structural Failure

OldCarGuy's New Toy Shop Complex
OldCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
kbs2244

Go to the local race track and hang out around the pits.
You will see good and bad ideas.
Steal the good ones and rememebr not to copy the bad ones.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
JCJ

Hope this will help you. We do road racing and usually travel 4 to 8 hours to the track for the weekend. I need to carry as many tools and spare parts with me as I can. It's no fun to travel 8 hours and go home early because you can't fit in some needed spares. This is how I set up my mobile shop.

This is a 22' Haulmark I bought new. It came with a white ceiling, 1/8 plywood walls and wood floor. I ordered it with 2 4' 2 bulb fixtures and 6 12v. lights plus a 12v. loading light that shines on the ramp door. As you look at the front, I built the bench and lower cabinets. The upper cabinets, both front and side, I bought and mounted. Above the cabinets are tarps for the canopy. On the left under the cabinet is a small Craftsman toolbox. The bottle on the right is nitrogen. You can see 2 12v. lights above the workbench. In the picture below the bench you can see the winch and battery box inside the cabinet and out of the way. Looking to the rear, You see a spare nose and wing assembly mounted on the wall. 2 extra sets of wheels and tires are mounted sideways on the walls to keep them from sticking out into the work area. In the rear on the right is a pit cart. Inside the cart are a number of suspension spares. Under the tires on each side is a setup platform for alignment. On the left above the tires would be alignment bars. I carry the car, an ATV sideways behind the car and a Honda Spree across the front. The trailer spare is under the floor in the front. The floor is cheap peel and stick tiles. I painted the walls with semi-gloss white house paint.

I have been using this for 10 years and it has worked out great for our purposes. And nothing has ever come loose or fallen out of the cabinets. There is plenty of 120v. lighting to work inside the trailer. The 12v. lights are almost never used. I power the trailer off the motor home generator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8080632 (Medium).JPG (60.3 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg P8080637 (Medium).JPG (67.1 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg P8080640 (Medium).JPG (54.9 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg P5290249 (Medium).JPG (72.7 KB, 241 views)
JCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:31 AM   #9
chryco

Love the trailer ideas guys . I`m getting an 02' 28' Haulmark enclosed soon a have a few ideas of my own to spruce it up as well . I like the idea of getting the inner walls white for better light distribution and the peel and stick flooring was the way I was thinking of going. (possibly one piece vinyl? ) . How are your shelving units fastened ? I don`t believe there`s a lot of structure on the walls.
Chryco
chryco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
shearhod

Try the web site Race car junk.com They have quite a few used trailers for sale near you.
shearhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
Elliot Braun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PxTx View Post
I'm moving next month into a home with over 2 acres, which would allow me to get an enclosed car trailer. This is something I've always wanted, and I should be able to write it off as a moving expense. After looking at a 24' unit bare bones for the price of about $6500 and the fully optioned out ones at double the price I figured I'd search around here to see if anyone has finished the interior of their trailer on their own.

I'm not really sure if there are trailer specific materials, but they all seem to look the same no matter who the manufacturer is. Does anyone have some links or resources?
I would think the use of marine sources ( boat store) would be necessary so that anything done within the trailer would not be effected by the weather, i.e. paint, flooring, electrical ...
Elliot Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

If you order it pre-wired for AC, they usually put the extra bracing in the air unit.

I have thought about buying one empty, after the garage is done and the car is back together. I've thought of doing a garage floor epoxy kit on the floor (store brand Rustoleum) and putting a cheaper grade of office carpet or indoor/outdoor carpet in it. I'd probably do my own cabinets. Take a look at a set of trailer cabinets, there's not much to them.

Buying a bare trailer also allows you to insulate the walls and ceiling too.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237

Last edited by NUTTSGT; 05-10-2012 at 12:24 PM.
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
fitz11

Lots of great ideas on building trailers here- http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f...4d573355aa323f
I have a 6x12 myself that I added lights, shelves, tool box, 12v and 110v electrical, batteries, generator, stereo system, bedliner floor and painted walls. Its an awesome project and I feel like I always want to add more lol
fitz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
Older'n dirt

I have a 20' enclosed trailer and have done some very minor upgrades to it including the 12" x 12" peel'n stick floor tiles. I had painted the plywood floor first with some industrial grade enamel (about a year before deciding to go with the tiles) and I thought the tiles might actually stick better on the painted surface. Not true, .... at least in my case.
Now I'm planning to remove the tiles, strip as much of the adhesive as I can and replace the tiles with cheap carpeting from Lowe's/HoDePo or some inexpensive laminate planks from Lumber Liquidators, etc.
My recommendation for a vinyl floor would be a solid/one piece roll of vinyl. Spills of any kind will seep between the joints on the tiles, no matter how tight you place them, ..... and the expansion/contraction you'll get in your sub-floor from the heat and humiditu changes won't help that issue.
Yeah, the carpet idea sounds a little 'spiffy', but for my use it will probably be OK. I've seen a few trailers with the interlocking laminate planks and I really like the look, ..... but for a Race Car it probably wouldn't be the best choice.

Just some thoughts.
Older'n dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
Roots

Nothing like revisiting a thread from 5 years ago!
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote