Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
J.Russell

Default Putting 2 Air compressor 60 gallon tanks ideas/help?

Had my 60 gallon sanborn air pump go out (tank still good) got a craftsman 60 gallon replacement can i join the 2 for sanding and or sandblasting ? ideas concerns?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TANK.JPG (4.0 KB, 49 views)
J.Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
CARS

Default Re: Putting 2 Air compressor 60 gallon tanks ideas/help?

I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

There is a check valve in the tank. You will need to remove it if you are using the fill bung. I don't remember the details, but I remember removing it when I added a second tank.

Last edited by CARS; 06-24-2011 at 04:14 PM.
CARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
larry_g

You can join them like you show however at the end of the day you will have accomplished no more work in the sand blast cabinet than you would have done with one tank. Your pump can only produce so much compressed air in a given time. If you blast with your cman with only the one tank you can blast for 3-5 minutes and then wait 3-5 minutes for the system to recharge. If you add a second tank then you can blast for 6-10 minutes and then wait for 6-10 minutes for the system to recharge. So at the end of the day your minutes blasting and waiting are the same because that is all the pump can deliver. It is not the volume of air receiver you have that determines the work you can do, it is the size of the pump and the motor driving it. A larger tank can mask a to small compressor for short intermittent jobs but for blasting and sanding the tank size is virtually irrelevant

lg
no neat sig line

Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
nissan_crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
You can join them like you show however at the end of the day you will have accomplished no more work in the sand blast cabinet than you would have done with one tank. Your pump can only produce so much compressed air in a given time. If you blast with your cman with only the one tank you can blast for 3-5 minutes and then wait 3-5 minutes for the system to recharge. If you add a second tank then you can blast for 6-10 minutes and then wait for 6-10 minutes for the system to recharge. So at the end of the day your minutes blasting and waiting are the same because that is all the pump can deliver. It is not the volume of air receiver you have that determines the work you can do, it is the size of the pump and the motor driving it. A larger tank can mask a to small compressor for short intermittent jobs but for blasting and sanding the tank size is virtually irrelevant

lg
no neat sig line
That pretty much says it all.

A larger tank gets you further the very first time before the pump kicks on, after that, it's back to the same old. So you would gain a *slight* advantage, but not worth writing home about.

tank size gets you longer pump cycles, and longer time between pump cycles.

Pump CFM is what determines if it will keep up or not (unless you're using a ton of air in a really short burst).

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
cnc-me

Two tanks may help to get rid of the moisture.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
darkk

If nothing else, it would look cool....
darkk is offline   Reply With Quote