Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
dmbrownuc

Default Temporary garage partition

I was wondering if anyone has an experience with building a temporary garage wall partition. I was hoping to create some sort of sliding interior door (or a wall made of heavy canvas) that could be opened or closed at a moments notice. This would keep the dirt, dust etc out of my wife's portion of the garage.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DB
dmbrownuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
willymakeit

Default Re: Temporary garage partition

How long ? Sliding part. take up a lot of room unless you bypass them. You might consider a rollup similar to what they use on otr trucks, then crankup back to ceiling.
willymakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Zeke

Look up residential construction dust control. If you have open rafters, you may have to build something a little more permanent from the roof down to ceiling level and then throw up the dust barrier under that.

I had a garage with one half wood shop and one half car parking AND laundry under one roof. A big vac helps.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
capt546

Back when I owned a truck dealership, a company called Roll-a-Matic (I think they are out of business) made chain gate curtains for the back of box trucks/trailers. Across the opening you used a 1" galvanized pipe that mounted to the top of the corner posts. They fastened a chaingate to the rod with galvanized cast loops, a lot like shower curtain hangers. The chain gate came with a tarp with loops that were fastened on the inside of the gate for weather protection. You don't need the chaingate but a canvas (plastic) tarp with eylets could be hung the same way. Probably could get buy with the metal shower curtain hooks and even shower curtains themselves.

I plan to construct something similar for a temporary paint booth.
capt546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
dittle fart around

The "hey like a shower curtain" would work. Run a length of cable across and above the top what you want to separate. Get yourself a tarp a couple of feet taller than the opening. Use large split key holders through the grommets in the tarp and run the cable through them. Add velcro across the top of the opening and under the grommets to seal the top. Then let the bottom of the tarp lay on the garage floor.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
bad_idea

don't have any idea of cost, but many churches have sliding partition walls. takes up a couple feet folded up at one end. similar to a shower curtain in design, but much thicker.
bad_idea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_idea View Post
don't have any idea of cost, but many churches have sliding partition walls. takes up a couple feet folded up at one end. similar to a shower curtain in design, but much thicker.
And very pricey.

This is the system I like:
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
dave67fd

Quote:
This would keep the dirt, dust etc out of my wife's portion of the garage.
Why not keep the dirt and dust and kick the wife out of the garage.

I gave up room in the house just to keep her out of the garage. Was worth the swap.
dave67fd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
holdover

as mentioned, I have a 1/4" cable that runs across the ceiling with turn buckles at each end to keep it tight, During the winter I have tarps hung from metal shower curtain clips, the tarps are slightly taller than the ceiling height. Work well keeping dirt, heat in the shop area, and easy to remove for visual effects when not needed. They also store nicely against the walls at each end..
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:21 AM   #10
sberry

I made roll up for paint booth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paint booth half way 2.JPG (42.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg paint curtains hung.JPG (29.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg paint booth roll.JPG (28.4 KB, 38 views)
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote