Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
Bull
Super Moderator

Default My Geobarn

After years of wanting to build a new garage/barn for my cars and other uses, I finally was able to get started last month. After looking into stick-built, Lester, and Morton, I stumbled across a website for a barn builder from Vermont. I already have an old barn, and just love the way they look, so I went with Geobarn. My experience thus far has been awesome. In eleven working days, I went from a bare foundation to this:

The crew consists of myself and two young (30-ish) barn builders. I've never had such a pleasant experience with a builder/crew in my life. The windows/trim and other et-ceteras should be done within another four or five working days, then I can move on to all the finishing work, concrete floor etc.

The barn is not huge, at 24x32. But, it has a full upstairs, walk-up cupola, and will shelter two F-bodies and one A-body inside, and then my truck underneath the 8 foot overhang on the north eave. If I were richer, I would have built bigger. But, I do have another barn and a small garage here as well to assist with storage and workspace.

Just wanted to share, after years of looking at everyone else's projects.
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:20 AM   #2
Steve in Mi

Default Re: My Geobarn

Unique interior framing. Looks GREAT! How high will the ceiling be downstairs above your concrete? I'm going to be watching with great interest to see how you fill that hole in the roof
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-11-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
Bull
Super Moderator

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.

The two bays in the front of the structure will have 7' ceilings. The bay at the back has 12'. I was originally going to put a lift back there, but don't think I have the room.

Yes, the diagonal framing is a unique feature of the Geobarn. I love the way it looks, and it is much stronger than regular vertical framing. It eliminates the need to sheath the building, so you can just nail the shiplap directly to the studs.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
DynoDave

That's going to be a great looking place, Bull.
WPC #12304
POCI #72200
1970 Plymouth Duster
1972 Dodge Charger Rallye
1977 Chrysler Cordoba
1988 Pontiac Firebird TransAm
DynoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
Falcon05Dad

It's got a fantastic look to it, Bull. That cupola is going to be an excellent finishing touch. Great job!

Greg
Falcon05Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
mickeypat

Very unique. Please follow through with us as you finish this project. Too many folks will post a new build, and never show the finished product. I would really like to see the completed job on this one. Good luck.
mickeypat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:33 AM   #7
73super

She's a peach.. love that wood look!
73super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
arbee

Bull,

That is awesome. Keep the pics coming
Old 08-13-2007, 10:35 PM   #9
Bull
Super Moderator

I was away on vacation today, but I came back to find the siding finished, some windows installed, and some trim work completed. Will post more pics soon.

I need to admit to you that the inside will not be as nice as the outside. The barn builders are craftsmen. I am the one finishing the inside, and I barely qualify to be called an amateur.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #10
orangeapeel

That looks amazing! More pics please.
orangeapeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:18 AM   #11
Bull
Super Moderator

The barn is almost finished. Well, in the sense of the structure itself being built...there will be much to do one the barn builders leave! But, tomorrow should be the last construction day, for a total of sixteen days of construction work by 2-3 people each day.

Here are some more shots, including some of the cupola that one of the builders and I worked on yesterday. It's built like a pillbox, and offers some great views.

EUDAIMONIA
"It Pays to Stay in the USA!"
Old 08-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #12
floyd

Bull - I first saw this post late last week. I went to the Geobarns website right away to check it out. I emailed George and met him down where I live (in MD) last Sunday. They're building a barn in next-door VA and I arranged to meet him in-transit. Very cool looking buildings! I really like the look and design and I'm leaning hard towards them. Thanks for your post - I think I may have finally found a builder! Maybe I'll be able to post some progress pics in the next 6 months!

Last edited by floyd; 08-21-2007 at 03:27 PM.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:42 PM   #13
Steve in Mi

Bull, I have to ask why the windows under the porch roof?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:08 PM   #14
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

I'm guessing ventilation?
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #15
Bull
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in Mi View Post
Bull, I have to ask why the windows under the porch roof?
lol, a valid question.

Those windows actually do allow light into the upstairs, more than you might think given that they are under the cantilevered roof.

EUDAIMONIA
Old 08-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #16
Bull
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Bull - I first saw this post late last week. I went to the Geobarns website right away to check it out. I emailed George and met him down where I live (in MD) last Sunday. They're building a barn in next-door VA and I arranged to meet him in-transit. Very cool looking buildings! I really like the look and design and I'm leaning hard towards them. Thanks for your post - I think I may have finally found a builder! Maybe I'll be able to post some progress pics in the next 6 months!
Floyd, that is awesome. It is guaranteed that if you work with George and GeoBarns, you will have a great experience. He's got something special going with this company. I was actually sad when my two builders left the job yesterday. Working with them for four weeks was a great experience. I've never been sad to see a contractor leave before!

EUDAIMONIA
Old 08-23-2007, 10:36 AM   #17
Kevin54

Money shot right there. I'm afraid I would have to have a seat up in the cupola just to sit and ponder the meaning of life. Great looking barn Looks like your neighbor across the road has a nice addition on his house to sit and ponder also. LOL!!
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #18
Bull
Super Moderator

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Kevin, the money shot for me is the one straight out the back, where I see nothing but my own field. However, the one you like is also good because I can see the mountains in the distance. In the winter, I will be able to see even more of them!

That brick house across the street is now offices, and maybe an apartment upstairs, I'm not sure. Too bad...it was once a grand old home, back when my grandparents lived in what is now my house.

EUDAIMONIA
Old 08-24-2007, 09:28 AM   #19
Syborg tt

Wow - does this look awesome. I can't wait to see more progress pictures
Syborg tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:35 AM   #20
Bull
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syborg tt View Post
Wow - does this look awesome. I can't wait to see more progress pictures
Thank you

Progress might slow a bit, so I can get some work done on my house. Floor will be poured next week, though. 6" slab, wire mesh, plastic vapor barrier, 3500psi, machine finish, and sealer.

EUDAIMONIA