Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Gort the giant robot

Default 1960s Honda CT 90 trail bikes

I am looking for a couple of small Honda motorcycles from the 1960s time frame. I would perfer a Honda 50 Cub, a Honda 90 or a Honda S90. I see lots of Honda CT90 trail bikes for sale. They have a automatic clutch and a high and low range 4 speed transmission. Were they any good ? I suspect they might be as i see so many for sale all the time.

Gort one lucky SOB.

Gort the giant robot.
Gort the giant robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
ecsimonson

Default Re: 1960s Honda CT 90 trail bikes

I have a '73 CT-90 and love it. I ended up getting it from an old rancher who parked it in the '70s when he decided he was too old to ride a mc. It had 158 miles with original everything when I got it.
The early ones were actually modeled ct-200 "Trail 90" have a funky front suspension and a pushrod engine. They also use a large sprocket that bolts on instead of the low/high range tranny. The later ones, 1966 and older, have a much better front suspension. They also have a much stronger engine and the low/high trans. Later Honda made the same bike with a 110 cc engine. They imported those to the states from 1980 to 1986. Actually they still make them The are still used in Australia for postal delivery, hence being called postie bikes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CT110
Mine looks about like the red one on this link but that picture is missing some plastic and misc parts that mine has.
http://www.hondamuseum.com/motorcycl.../BCT200_01.jpg
This one is the older style.
If you want to take it offroad much or even put many miles on it I would suggest a ct-90 or ct-110 if you can find one vs one of the early ones. Fun little bikes that get good gas mileage and will go anywhere.
-Erin

Last edited by ecsimonson; 07-11-2011 at 11:08 PM.
ecsimonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
jride200

To my dismay (I've not yet been able to buy one!), I've noticed the price of these steadily climbing. They're sought after, I think, by the skinny pants, hipster crowd, and they're migrating from farms and ranches into the bigger cities.

Last edited by jride200; 07-11-2011 at 11:25 PM.
jride200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
thunderdawg

I'd love to find a Super 90 too.
thunderdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:08 AM   #5
trainer

I think the availability of cheap chinese made engines for these bikes has alot to do with the demand for them increasing lately.
trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:49 AM   #6
Lippyp

My only foray onto two wheels was a Honda C70, used it to commute to work on when I was young and skint. It was a hoot and surprisingly nippy for such a small engine, three speed crash box and no baffles in the exhaust.
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
hobie1dog

the Honda Cub was recently awarded the worlds most popular and all time biggest seller by "Bike" magazine ( UK's biggest and most highly regarded magazine )

Go to www.Obsidiancaraudio.com for great subwoofers

Does a culture based on seperation and competition, of scientific sophistication and medieval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
hobie1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #8
kartracer23

I've been trying to find a Cub ('95 or '96) for years. Can't get one at a decent price. My theory is that all the IndyCar teams buy them up. Here are a couple of shots IndyCar races.

Scott Dixon is pretty proud of the skid mark he made @ Kentucky...

Target's Cubs all lined up nice & neat @ Homestead testing

Sato in Kentucky...His Cub is probably about the only thing he hasn't crashed

kartracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote