Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Andy Griffith

Default Mole(s) in the yard

Seems I have one or more moles in my backyard. Leaves big pile of dirt on the lawn, usually the morning after I mow. Lawn is nothing to write home about and I'm more irritated with having to shovel off the dirt mounds before mowing than anything. The general location is right on the outskirts and inside the drain field for our septic system.

Over the years we have cultivated a large flock of various backyard birds with bird houses, feeders, baths etc. I'm hesitant to spray anything on the lawn as many of the birds eat the insects out of the grass.

What type of remedies are available for eradicating moles these days?

Thanks
Andy Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
s_ontario

Default Re: Mole(s) in the yard

sounds like you have grubs and the moles are after them have you tried mothballs ?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
tdkkart

Pocket gophers leave big piles of fresh dirt in the grass, moles leave tunnels with raised roofs that lift your grass up in visible mounds, rarely do moles leave pile on top of the ground.

This thread has pictures:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...oles&showall=1
tdkkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
lcrabtree

We were run over with moles when we bought our place 6 years ago and I tried everything I could find and nothing worked. One mole can seem like several because the little devils can dig up to 100 feet in 24 hours. They are very solitary except in mating season and have there own area of operation seperate from other moles. I found this method the best, water the area down a couple of hours before feeding time, here I found it to be 11:00 and 5:00. The worms will wiggle and make noise to attract the moles. Then I get my hoe and stake out the area, being very still and watching for the moles to start his mole running. When I spot him making the dirt move I chop into the runner just in back of the movement to stop his retreat into the runner and flip the devil out with a quick chop with the hoe. One dead Mole! One day I killed 6 that way.

Lester
lcrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
rockchucker

There is poison you can buy. Just a few Pebbles shoved down each mound gets them pretty good. It is powdery green and looks like Alfalfa Pellets. Forgot what the name of it is though.

These are good though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWHR0...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XM8DZRO34o&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2umEF...eature=related

Sig by FairladyZ90

"It took you longer to explain why you were doing it wrong than it would have to do it right in the first place." -Some Old Dude

"All it takes is Time and Pressure..." -Some Old Dude
rockchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
JamieK

Go adopt a Terrier dog (Jack Russel, Scottish,etc.) He'll get your mole, but your yard may look even worse But it'll be fun to watch!
JamieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
diesel research

milky spore
diesel research is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Kevin54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdkkart View Post
Pocket gophers leave big piles of fresh dirt in the grass, moles leave tunnels with raised roofs that lift your grass up in visible mounds, rarely do moles leave pile on top of the ground.

This thread has pictures:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...oles&showall=1

Moles leave mounds of dirt all the time. I have them next door in the pasture that I mow and once in a while they make their way into our yard but very rarily. The mounds of dirt come from where the mole cleans out the run. The reason they don't come into our yard is that we have the yard fertilized on a regular basis. The grubs are killed off. No grubs, no moles. And even with fertilizing we still have a bunch of birds & bugs around. Birds are always eating the bugs out of the yard.

The best way I found to get rid of them is to mash down the run then keep an eye on the run. If it is active, the mole will open it back up. You don't have to stand and watch but check a few hours or so after you mash it. Look at the lay of the ground and where the cleanout dirtpile is. Shove a garden hose in it and let the water flow. As soon as the water hits the mole he will come straight up and out. Pitchfork him or bash him in the head with a shovel. I have had pitchforks tines through them, laid them on the concrete and they'll drag the pitchfork. Their are that strong
Old 07-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
Cobra6

I would use a mole trap ...........

Strong, Proud, and Ugly

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you haven't been trained properly.
Cobra6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
66HertzClone
Alliance Member

As a kid I remember my dad pulling his car into the yard near the hole. Stuck a pipe over the tailpipe of his car, stuck the other end into the dug out mole hole and left it running for a while. No more moles.....

Of course, we have much cleaner exhaust today, but the CO2 is still there.

My Mustang

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts

I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake.

Home, home again, I like to be there when I can

Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic

Great thoughts overwhelm a feeble mind

Quote:
She does have a great rack...

-Raccoon-
66HertzClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
Cobra6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra6 View Post
I would use a mole trap ...........
I forgot the pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mole trap.jpg (64.1 KB, 16 views)

Strong, Proud, and Ugly

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you haven't been trained properly.
Cobra6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
gsport

here's my solution from last year... lol

2011 chevy 4x4, 3500HD, duramax
2006 john deere rider mower
2013 harley fatboy, sold
2014 39' 5th wheel, Grand Design Solitude
gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
GirlnAgarage

Dealing with them for the last couple years. Put down GrubX but that really didn't help anything. Tried water hose to flood tunnels but not really successful. Tried poison pellets in the tunnels - not effective. Trying those poison simulated worms now. Most effective, well, certainly the most satisfying was catching a mole running a tunnel, flushed him out with the water hose, then hacked him in half with the shovel. I felt so accomplished lol

I got one now who seems to be a little more careful about tunnels and works a little slower than Mr Shovelback.

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation
GirlnAgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
ozyborn

Not an ad for this product but it sound cool and fun.

http://www.rodenator.com/

Blow the suckers up..
ozyborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
Rossco

Best thing for a Mole is a Mole Vibrator ..

Like a 14" spike that is driven into the ground .. It has Batterys and Vibrates every few Minutes .. They sharp leave ..

Saying that .. it works on a relativly small garden .. Some of you guys probably have land the size of Wales .
Rossco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #16
red98gt

I use a Victor Trap. Caught 5 this Spring.

Here is a good article about moles.

Pay close attention to the part about tunnels, straight vs meandering.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/w-fact/0011.html
red98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #17
Lhorn

There were at least a couple of threads about this in the last few years so you might get more suggestions by reading those.
I think the Grub killer can not be expected to get rid of the problem very well on it's own, because I believe moles eat earth worms also.
I wish that mine were predictable enough to wait and pitchfork em, but I'd have to have a lot more time than I have for that. Others have said traps are the only good way to get rid of them, but I have several types of traps and never caught a single one.

In my experience their destructive activity on the lawn tends to occur in spurts. I'd speculate that's why some people swear by a certain method or product while others say it doesn't work. I myself have been fooled into thinking I'm fixing the problem only to find a bunch of hills a few days later.

I know that every years I've been in my house, moles hills have been less and less so I think I'm making some progress. I use grub killer on the lawn about every 3 months. It's easy and maybe it helps.
Whenever a new mound pops up, I get a long HF screw driver (see, they are good for something) and probe around for the tunnels. I then poison the tunnels either with the little pellet style poison or the imitation worm type of poison.

I used to have 3 problem areas of my lawn. This year, one area had no activity. Second area only had one mound - poisoned then no more activity. The third area had the most activity, but it's been about 1/2 of what it has been in the past.

Keep at it. I think it's worth trying other things, but it's cheap and easy to poison the tunnels and mounds in conjuction with whatever else you choose.
Lhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #18
wafrederick

There are poisonous worms called Tom Cats and come in a package of 5 or 10.Don't touch these with your bare fingers and use a screwdriver to take them out of the package shoving them in the hole.My mother's cat,Cleo killed one and can't figure this out although she has no front claws.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #19
Lotek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozyborn View Post
Not an ad for this product but it sound cool and fun.

http://www.rodenator.com/

Blow the suckers up..
Beat me to it.

The wife won't let me build one...

Another example of when God turns to Darwin and says "I thought you were going to fix this s@#t".

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

"I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! Ah, it's great to be male!" -Calvin
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #20
knucklebusted
Banned

I've used this method off and on. It works but the neighbors will hate you.

You get a water hose attached yard sprayer, mix up a 4oz bottle of castor oil and 4oz or dish detergent then top off with water. Water the yard liberally with this stuff. Non-toxic to pets and people and rain just soaks it in that much better.

I'm not sure how it works. I suspect it a) gives them the $h1t$ or b) makes the grubs taste bad. Either way, they will dig a tunnel as far away from the area as they can. I did it to my yard at the last house I was at and he dug straight to the road continued on to the neighbor's yard overnight!

At the current house I used to walk the dog and get her to pee all over the place and put the crap down the holes. They would not come back where the dog had peed or the crap was. She actually caught 2 or 3 in a year before she went deaf at 16.
knucklebusted is offline   Reply With Quote