Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
jaredfloyd

Default 40 X 60 Northwest Garage Build

The Plan:

40 X 60 with 14 foot wall stick frame - vaulted ceiling with scissor trusses
6" reinforced slab with geothermal heat pump - radiant floor heat
Two 10 x 10 doors and one 12 x 12 door
Lots of windows up high for natural light
12 X 18 office
18 X 28 fab room (dirty bay)
320 amp electrical service with plans for PT-355 Digital Phase Converter
Two 2 post lifts
Plumbing for bathroom and water spigots
Wired for communications from house
Primary use will be street and track car design, fabrication, and tuning
Comments and suggestions welcome

Project begins - June 10, 2011 Day 1

June 16, 2011 - Dug down to solid clay and added pitrun to footing grade

I'm getting a shop so the family gets a new garden and playground

Running water from house to garden

June 26, 2011 Garden almost complete

Shop construction took a 2 week break
July 6, 2011 Garden and Playground

July 8, 2011 Shop construction resumes, drain plumbed to septic system and footing forms in place

July 11, 2011 Footing reinforcement, drain cleanout, conduit for water, com, extra 2" for future use

Pump truck

First pour
jaredfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
hick

Default Re: 40 X 60 Northwest Garage Build

Wow.

I am printing off those designed and hanging them on my wall. Perfect.

Can you tell me what program you used for that? I don't care for google sketch up.
hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
jaredfloyd

SolidWorks CAD software. Not the greatest for achitecture but I can't stand working in 2D (autocad, etc).
Old 07-13-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
Bib Overalls

Going to be nice. Taking care of the wife and kids is good family politics. When I retired my wife got a pool and deck. I got a shop.

Fast forward. Currently building a garden shed for my wife with a storage section for me. Win win is better than alimony!

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpoison/

When I am dead and gone a new owner will walk into my 99% completed dream shop and say "this place has potential."
Bib Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
larry_g

It looks like you have two lifts in the same bay. Do you plan to lift two rigs that are in the bay end to end and only a 40' bay. Wouldn't that get kinda tight? I know from working in many 24' deep shops that 24' is to short to work comfortably around a single rig so two in 40' seems really tight.

Otherwise I think your plan looks great. Are you going to give us a plan wth the interior walls?

lg
no neat sig line

Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
neonnblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
It looks like you have two lifts in the same bay. Do you plan to lift two rigs that are in the bay end to end and only a 40' bay. Wouldn't that get kinda tight? I know from working in many 24' deep shops that 24' is to short to work comfortably around a single rig so two in 40' seems really tight.

Otherwise I think your plan looks great. Are you going to give us a plan wth the interior walls?

lg
no neat sig line
I noticed that also, im thinking he couldnt find a 4 post model to fit in their so used two, two posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Pmech View Post
It's the equivalent of shooting a puppy in the face for crapping behind the couch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkk View Post
MAN! I'd powder that bitch up, run her around til she got all sweaty then I'd lick the sludge out of the cracks! HmmmmmHmmmmm....
neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
YNOT2K

where are you in the Northwest? i'm in Lynnwood, WA and would be interested in hearing more about your work on street/track cars and tuning. if you're close by maybe i could stop by and check the progress of your build too. looks like you have it under control so far!
YNOT2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
jaredfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post

Working on the exact placement of the lifts now. It will be tight but most of the vehicles on the lifts will be very small (sports cars). I'm used to working in a 22' long bay with a single asymmetric lift which is fine for sports cars but gets a little cramped with larger vehicles. Planning to have 8'6" in front of the forward lift and 12' behind the rear lift (using two asymmetric two post lifts). Most long vehicles (trucks) eat up space on the rear side so I can either use the forward lift with nothing on the rear lift and have 30' of clearance or use the rear lift with the 10' x 10' door open. I'm planning to put work benches on the side of the lifts rather than in front to get as much working clearance as possible. One thing to consider is that a tandem lift setup can share the clearance at one end (rear clearance of front lift can overlap the front clearance of the rear lift - clear as mud right).

If it ends up too cramped, I'll move one lift to the center bay.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
jaredfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNOT2K View Post
where are you in the Northwest? i'm in Lynnwood, WA and would be interested in hearing more about your work on street/track cars and tuning. if you're close by maybe i could stop by and check the progress of your build too. looks like you have it under control so far!
In Bellingham area. Moved from Lynnwood a few years ago.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
jaredfloyd

July 12, 2011 Stem Wall Forms

July 13, 2011 Stem Wall Pour

July 14, 2011
Old 07-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
tinbender 66

Gonna be a nice big building!! Looking at the surrounding area, I guessed that you were north of me. Those foothills looked familiar. I live in Arlington. My son lives in B'ham and goes to Western. Looking forward to seeing this one take shape.

Paul

The never ending project:

THE PEDESTRIAN GARAGE
tinbender 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #12
redman43

I went to Western too a few years back. If that's the B'ham area, you must be out there. I don't recall seeing that much space anywhere near town or campus.

Looks like its going to be a great building.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #13
combatic

Holy chinchilla! I can not believe how much room you have up north Jared! If I ever get out of my shop I will stop by! About to put the 911 on blocks and do some rust surgery on the front so I might be 'offline' for a while 14' walls eh! You just had to go 1' 8" taller than me ...ha ha. Good call on the high windows. The wall space is going to be a premium once you start moving in. Ask me how I know. Very cool shop and congrats on breaking ground.

Bryan
combatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #14
jaredfloyd

Lots of Western Alumni on here including myself (Class of '99) and Bryan (combatic).
Bryan, I realize building a shop and a 911 make it hard to find the time to update a build thread but you should really have your shop build on here.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
Highbeam

The good alumni are from UW (99 myself)!
Highbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #16
IdahoJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbeam View Post
The good alumni are from UW (99 myself)!
No. They aren't.
IdahoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:18 AM   #17
CamarosRus

I'd like to learn what is the purpose of having the stem walls, instead of framing the wall on top of a shorter footing.

I'm a naive newby when it comes to cement pouring and wood framing.

Also would like comments from Western WA locals as to pros and cons of a stick framed shop vs a "pole bldg" design vs steel (for that matter)

Thanks for the education

FYI, I live in Renton,WA and am wanting to buy a home with shop in South King County
or House with land and have shop built.
ILWU Longshore member
Viet-Nam 68'/69'
Collect/Restore/Judge
69'/70' Camaros

CamarosRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:45 AM   #18
Motofixxer

The most obvious is the moisture aspect from washing the floor or vehicles in there. Another advantage is the termite issue in those area's with them. Get the wood up as high as possible.

Click Here for INFORMATIVE Legal Info and videos

Our INALIENABLE Right to Travel Defined Legal Style

Don't Talk to Cops (PLEASE WATCH, Important for any and all Law Enforcement Encounters)
Motofixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #19
klkruser

Make sure you run the gable studs full length to the underside of the roof deck or you will have a hinge rather than solid lateral support.

Ask me why I know...LOL...I had to cut out every 3rd plate to scab on some full height studs after my truss engineer pointed it out for my scissor trusses. I'm just 20 minutes north of you in Langley BC. Check out my build:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=106028
klkruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:19 AM   #20
combatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamarosRus View Post
I'd like to learn what is the purpose of having the stem walls, instead of framing the wall on top of a shorter footing.

I'm a naive newby when it comes to cement pouring and wood framing.

Also would like comments from Western WA locals as to pros and cons of a stick framed shop vs a "pole bldg" design vs steel (for that matter)

Thanks for the education

FYI, I live in Renton,WA and am wanting to buy a home with shop in South King County
or House with land and have shop built.
CamarosRUS,
You will have to check your local building code. Pole buildings go up very fast and are usually much cheaper than stick frame buildings but I don't thing they can go up in 'city limits'

In hindsight I should have built stem walls and a foundation but I poured a turn down slab (forms only on the outside) to 'save time and money' b/c I was the one building all the forms. I ended up spending way more on concrete and I ended up having to seal all my base boards and used plastic 1x6 base boards so I can rinse my shop out if need be. PITA to build and caulk everything. I wasted time and money in the end.

Pole buildings will last usually 15-20 years or longer if you set pressure treated poles in gravel for drainage. Concrete is a no no. It seals the moisture in according to some research I did a while back. Drainage will have a direct impact on the longevity of your poles. Or these could be compelling and maybe cost effective. I just stumbled onto these...permacolumn

Btw- Think about wooden telephone poles...they last a while but I think the bases are soaked in creosote or oil...just like back on the farm

Steel buildings go up fast and are generally cheaper than a stick frame building. When I was considering building I didn't feel comfortable trying to finish the interior and have a good result. As a matter of personal taste I generally don't like steel buildings, they stick out like a sore thumb and they can be so much bigger than the residence. Durability is similar to a stick frame building if taken care of and you can have very wide spans engineered for no posts. Stick frame starts limiting out at 40' wide for clear spans anything wider and costs go up up up.

Stick Frame is what I went with for the following reasons. a) I have done enough remodels and building over the years that I am very comfortable working with wood walls and I know how to attach to it, modify the layout, make it structural etc. b) I wanted my step-dad to help me frame it up because he was a carpenter long ago and I got to spend time with him while building my shop. c) my shop is very close to my house so eventually I will shingle it and then the two buildings will look the same and not hodge podge. Also, since I built it I did not incur all the labor costs. I actually only paid to have the concrete poured and finished my building is worth 3 or 4x than what I paid in materials.

whew, a lot to write but the takeaway is- cost, looks and durability are what you will be debating. If you build it yourself then you have to factor in what you are comfortable building...steel buildings are like erector sets with plans. Stick frame is straightforward IF you know what you are doing.

Good luck!

Bryan

Last edited by combatic; 07-19-2011 at 03:51 AM.
combatic is offline   Reply With Quote