Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
John Dillinger

Default Stop Leak in auto air conditioning

I just got the news that my 2004 chevey truck needs a new evaprator. It is going to cost $1000.00. It looses its charge in a week. I know that there is Stop Leak for air conditioning and it's contriversal but I would like to try it .
What kind of experience have you all had with it?

Thanks
JD
John Dillinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
aussiek2000

Default Re: Stop Leak in auto air conditioning

Don't use it. All your going to do is get that crap in all the good parts such as the compressor and condenser.
aussiek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
HoseB

Don't do it. Replace the evaporator yourself for $117.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base
HoseB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Lotek

Very bad idea, compressors on those are marginal to start with, dumping that crap in the system will cost you a compressor and condenser at the very least, in addition to not permanently sealing the leak because it's too large. No A/C shop that knows what is doing will hook a veh with that junk in it to their recovery equipment.

Another example of when God turns to Darwin and says "I thought you were going to fix this s@#t".

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

"I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! Ah, it's great to be male!" -Calvin
Lotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
Mike007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiek2000 View Post
Don't use it. All your going to do is get that crap in all the good parts such as the compressor and condenser.
What he said.
Mike007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
Lotek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseB View Post
Don't do it. Replace the evaporator yourself for $117.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base
It isn't the parts, it's removing and disassembling the dash and evaporator case. It pays about 10 hours. Not the easiest job in the world, take lots of pictures, figure on having it apart for a couple of days.

Another example of when God turns to Darwin and says "I thought you were going to fix this s@#t".

"I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! Ah, it's great to be male!" -Calvin

Last edited by Lotek; 07-14-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
HoseB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotek View Post
It isn't the parts, it's removing and disassembling the dash and evaporator case. It pays about 10 hours. Not the easiest job in the world, take lots of pictures, figure on having it apart for a couple of days.
I understand that. I'm just offering encouragement to the poster that he do it himself for $117 out-of-pocket.
HoseB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
tcsalvage

there not too bad to take the dash out of. but i just take them out. as for stop leak in ac i also sell compressors.
tcsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
Lotek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseB View Post
I understand that. I'm just offering encouragement to the poster that he do it himself for $117 out-of-pocket.
And I'm just explaining why they want so much to do the repair...

Like I said it's doable but fairly intimidating.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
ninedriver

I just did one on my Jeep. PITA, yes, but well worth the savings. Helps if you have a manual and be sure to take some pics/notes during disassembly. Also, be sure to replace your accumulator as well. Autozone has a vacuum pump and gauges on their loan a tool program so that'll be free. They also have a good DVD on auto a/c, worth a watch if this is your first time.
ninedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

seats , console , steering column , instrument panel , carrier , ac box
15 hours , we have to make money ...those evaps and heater cores have been very durable ..don't do a lot of them
SpiderGearsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
Tarheelgarage

Don't put that crap in there or you will probably be facing a firewall forward replacement of everything in the future if you ever want cold air.
"One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence" - Thomas Sowell
Tarheelgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
mtkst19

i try to fix stuff "properly" but realistically sometimes to fix the a/c is worth more than the car. this stuff works well for those situations and does not f up a shops a/c equipment. As i really dont have another 5k to spend on a new machine at work. pretty much if you can pull a vacuum on it for a period of time, this stuff will seal it up.

http://www.usasealants.com/products/...k-conditioner/

and the faq's about it:

Will it clog the recovery unit or any other A/C components?
No. Red Angel is completely safe for shop equipment and A/C units.

How does it work?
Red Angel is inert until it mixes with R-12 or R-134a. Red Angel is activated by air flow at the site of the leak - forming a chemical weld and repairing the system.

How large of a leak does it repair?
Red Angel will seal leaks in A/C systems that can hold 5 inches of vacuum for 25 minutes or 15 inches of vacuum for 5 minutes.

Does it seal evaporator leaks?
Yes. It also seals leaks in connection hoses, gaskets, o-rings & condensers.

How much do I use?
Use one bottle (2 oz.) for all automotive A/C systems (up to 5 lb. system). When adding Red Angel to an evacuated system, substitute 2 oz. Red Angel for 2 oz. of oil. When a vehicle has a slow leak & maintains a partial charge, add 2 oz. of Red Angel along with the necessary amount of R-12 or R-134a (see service manual).

How long will it stay in the system?
If there are no leaks in the system, Red Angel remains as a liquid lubricant in the system. It can stay in the system until the oil is reclaimed.

What happens if I recycle the refrigerant?
Red Angel is removed from the A/C system with the refrigerant. It is then separated from the refrigerant with the reclaimed oil.

Can I install it without an oil injector?
No, you must use an oil injector.
mtkst19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #14
srmofo

Not to sound rude but I could give a rats ass what the manufacturer says about their stop leak. If it will clog up a hole with 100 psi behind it, then it will clog up my machine. Not worth the risk and I wont touch anything that has had stop leak in it.

We lost our last r12 machine to stop leak. Not worth replacing it with another....sucks too because we were one of the last shops in the area that still serviced r12 systems with r12 instead of a retrofit
srmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #15
mtkst19

my r12 and 134 machine is still going. it has been in contact w/ this stuff. like i said,it is not a go to but a last resort. take it for what it is worth.

also, what r12 machine do you have? i have a spare snap on r12 machine that i have stashed for parts for mine.
mtkst19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #16
toolfreak

I pissed off two mechanics I work with last week when I told them that they didn't have a clue what they were doing after I seen them put stop leak in the bosses truck. Needless to day that went over well, first they asked what i would have done and then they told me if I didn't like it that I could fix it myself.
toolfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #17
dtt454

some shops will pass on servicing your a/c system if they know it has that crap in it.
dtt454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #18
judgethis

When I was working in the dealership and customers would complain how much it was I would tell them A/C is a luxury. If you want it you gotta pay for it.
I wouldnt put stop leak in the A/C system. Just fix it the right way and be done with it.
judgethis is offline   Reply With Quote