Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
battsup

Default Kobalt KWM Wall mount Vac

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking this forum for quite a while and finally decided to join because I couldnt see any of the pictures(because many ppl put them up as attachments as opposed to hosting them on photobucket etc). Anyhow i'm in the middle of my garage remodel of which I will start a thread when i'm done next weekend and I need/want a new Shop Vac.

There are many threads here on the Rigid WD5500 which is no longer available, its Craftsman equivalent the 17925(they're both made by Emerson tool company) is available. It's 8.5A 5hp unit, but it only flows 94 CFM. It was on sale a few days ago down to $74.62 but after taxes and shipping it came up to $95(there are no local stores in WA that stock this item for some reason). As I was about to bite the bullet i decided to look at the Kobalt KWM508 from Lowes which is also a 5hp 5 gallon but it is only 8A and flows 160CFM. It is $99, but again there are no local stores in WA that stock this item. The Kobalt seems like a better deal as it flows more, should theoretically use less power, is quieter and looks nicer.

Now my question is, has anyone had experience having something like this special ordered at their local Lowes? Call me a cheapa$$ but i'd like to save the $10 on shipping and spend it towards a retracting power cord.

For those that don't know what i'm talking about here are some pictures.

http://www.emersontoolcompany.com/en...allonWall.aspx

http://www.lowes.com/pd_120940-10345...0051&langId=-1

Last edited by battsup; 07-21-2011 at 12:51 AM.
battsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:54 AM   #2
gcan

Default Re: Kobalt KWM Wall mount Vac

I haven't special ordered anything from Lowes but I do have the Kobalt vac your looking at and am very pleased.....it was a good choice for me.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
chickenhauler

A lot of times you can special order it online to be picked up at your store. I've done it on several things. You'll get an email and/or they'll call you when it's ready to be picked up.
chickenhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
SyTyJim

I own that Crasftman for about 8 years and like it alot.

Jimmy
1991 GMC Syclone #0797 Black/Black <-- SOLD
1993 GMC Typhoon #1754 White/White <-- SOLD
2003 Corvette Black/Black
SyTyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Mike_C

I have the kobalt in my garage, I am happy with it. For the size it works well, doesn't have the power of a larger shop vac. I really like the wireless switch on the hose handle though. I hate having to listen to a vacuum that doesn't need to be running.
Mike_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
dankicksass

Not considering Shop Vac's models? (regular) (pro)

All of those things use small hose, for my small vac needs I use a 5gal bucket shop vac from Home Depot ($20) mounted to a wall with 50ft of hose next to it.
dankicksass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
NWphotog

Costco has a verticle stainless steel model. Doesn't come with a bracket but that would be easy to to fab. I think cost was $30.
NWphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
Roman G

I was in big lots a while back, and they had a shop vac brand wall mount one for 45 i think it was. Seemed like a good deal.

Roman
Roman G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
musgofasta

Also have the Craftsman - no complaints at all. Great suction and out of the way.
musgofasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
Matt M, PA

While it's not a wet vac, I am very pleased with my Metropolitan wall mounted Vac. It came with 24' of hose..I added another two lengths. For a "remote", I wired a 120 relay into the line that feeds the vac outlet. I use a cheap remote for turning on lamps to activate.
Matt M, PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
Zeke

Big Lots can have some great deals.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
battsup

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I've been on the phone with Lowes.com and they say they can't send it to the store. I just got off the phone with the local store and the tools guy gave me the full scoop. He says that the reason no stores have it is because it's being discontinued and that's why they can't order one in. I'm waiting for my moving coupon code to come in and I'm going to place my order, I believe the website was showing about 70 remaining so if anyone was looking at it I suggest you jump on it. I did look at the yellow shop vac models but I liked these removable ones better. Plus I'm in Canada so no one else will have this item either so it gives my garage more unique in a way. Plus the remote on off is cool. Those of you that are interested in the shop vac model go to amazon.com they have 50% off their 4 and 5 star rated power tools.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
kngelv

I have been debating the purchase of one of the Kobalt Vacuums. I like the idea of the remote at the end of the hose plus I want a wall mount. I think the Kobalt is a reconfigured VacMaster http://www.vacmaster.com/product.cfm?p=16 I like that the hose attaches to the side of the Kobalt vs. the front on almost every other wall mount. Could those with the Kobalt give a more detailed review? Also can it be used without the bags? Thanks.

James
kngelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
chrommagman

I would go with the Kobalt! if you are going to wall mount you could put some pvc lines in so you don't have to have a supper long hose. kinda like what you would do with a air compressor.

Quote:
Women are like Ferrari's. Expensive to acquire, highly tempermental, a huge pain to try and fix yourself, require constant maintenance yet are the subject of our lust.
chrommagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #15
matty d

Hey that Kobalt is cool. I wanted a wall-mount but already had a Rigid 5.0 portable. Here's my silly attempt to make it into a wall mount using a Gladiator bin holder. Actually it works pretty well in the bin holder and I actually like it I can store some of the tools on the shelf above...the next step is a longer hose and car cleaning attachments...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rigid rig.jpg (142.1 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by matty d; 07-21-2011 at 02:49 PM.
matty d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #16
kngelv

Does anyone have a Vac Master?
kngelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #17
ket-tek

Just search for the word 'vacmaster' and you'll find the past threads comparing this and many other vacuums.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...archid=5448741

I have the vacmaster and it's been great. Plenty of power, the remote is great, has big diameter hoses, and is not to loud.

The kobalt does seem to have the similar remote. but keep in mind folks the kobalt uses BAGS! The vacmaster and most other brands talked about here don't. I will never own another vacuum indoor or garage that uses bags..

Here's mine:

Last edited by ket-tek; 07-21-2011 at 09:41 PM.
ket-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:27 AM   #18
battsup

See i specifically want to be able use bags, my current shop vac brand shop vac that I used for cleaning up my basement renovations was useless because it spread dust all over the air. Bags keep the dust sealed up, I went bagless for my home vacuum before as well. Now i'm back to a bagged vacuum and couldnt be happier. It's ridiculous when you need to vacuum using a dust mask.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #19
kartracer23

I've got the VacMaster. Pretty nice - Probably comparable to my Craftsman Wall mount. I like that it has a mid-size hose - sometimes the big ones like on the Craftsman (2"?) are just too big to get suction and won't pick up things like nails.

One caution on the VacMaster: Never leave it on the remote setting! I came into my shop one Monday and mine was running - don't know for how long, but it was hot as hell. I suppose some radio transmission, garage door opener, etc. turned it on.

I did contact VacMaster about it and although they had never heard of it happening, I guess they were going to start putting a warning on them.
kartracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #20
boosteddsm92

Just got back from Lowes after reading this post They had a bunch of them there so I picked one up. BTW, it has a filter, using a bag w/it is optional.
boosteddsm92 is offline   Reply With Quote