Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
mulepackin

Default Painting/staining T111 Plywood Siding

I'm just finishing up my storage shed project and its ready to paint. For now it is sided with T111 and trimmed with pine. While I will probaly side it with actual lap type siding down the road I just want to get by as is for now. Has anyone had any success with either painting or staining T111? My past experience with it has never been so great. Originally, I was going to prime and paint it white to match my house and garage with grey trim. I'm now leaning toward staining it with a grey deck stain, and painting the trim white. I'm planning on a Kilz primer to seal the knots and pitch pockets, but I'm open to any suggestions on the plywood. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
The Hot Rod Grille

Default Re: Painting/staining T111 Plywood Siding

I installed T-111 for the inside walls in my garage, The Hot Rod Grille, and stained it a "weathered gray" to simulate the outside of an old building. This was done to provide contrast to the vintage signs that I covered the walls with. Obviously, since my use was inside, I was not concerned about weather durability, although I used an oil-based exterior wood stain and gave the walls three coats to get the look that I wanted. T-111 really soaks up the stain, so keep that in mind when you are buying the coating. I have 10 foot walls and would start at the top and coat a section 3 feet wide from top to bottom. By using the grooves as "break points", I was able to minimize the "splotchy" effect that I've seen with other stained wood panels. My garage is 1350 sq. ft. and the project took nine gallons of stain, but I am very pleased with the final results. BTW, I used good quality brushes to apply the stain. The rough texture of the T-111 did not lend itself to using a roller to apply the stain (I tried it on some "scrap" pieces and didn't like the way it looked). Since you will be doing the staining outside, you may be able to spray the stain onto the T-111 and get uniform coverage. Good luck with your project!

Jim Winter
The Hot Rod Grille Garage

www.wvpinball.com
The Hot Rod Grille is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
JCByrd24

I'm in the process of putting up a garage and the majority of it is stained T-111 siding. We used a Behr semi-transparent latex (only thing available in Maine, no oil anymore) siding and deck stain from HD that was a great deal over memorial day when they were giving $25 rebates on 5 gallons, which I believe they are doing this weekend as well. We stained it off the building on saw horses, using the thickest nap roller they had, something like 1". We did the grooves and edges with a big brush. The results are great, especially after a touch up for nail heads and missed spots, basically it's one heavy coat. As mentioned before, it uses a ton of stain. There are no splotches, cleans up with water, and has a 20 some year warranty when used on siding vs. deck. I highly recommend. I've attached Garage Journal sized pics, but send me a PM if you want full rez.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2315.JPG (50.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2418.JPG (50.4 KB, 50 views)
JCByrd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #4
kbs2244

The trick is to put it on heavy. That rough surface will soak up a lot of whatever you use.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

As JCByrd states, I've had good luck with the thickest roller cover they sell... Goes against everything I'd ever consider doing in the woodshop... But rough plywood like that really soaks up the stain!
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
mulepackin

Thanks for the tips. I'm really looking at the Behr products. My questions now are should I go transparent or the semi transparent? It seems the semi transparent would have more solids and thus better protection? Also, has anyone applied the semitransparent with a deck (garden) sprayer and then touched up grooves etc. with a brush? I've done this on the deck with the gray transparent stains (oil based) but not a product like this.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
russlaferrera

I sprayed my shed, using an airless spray system. If the garden sprayer will spray the stain, then go for it. You will get better coverage, better finish , and better protection. As a bonus, LESS WORK!
russlaferrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
mulepackin

Well I went with the Behr semi transparent. Bought a third again as much as it should have taken, and it only did half the building. Now wouldn't you know it they are out of the base needed to make the color I chose. Might come in on Tues or Thurs (of course the sale is over then). Anyway I am using the deck sprayer and back rolling. It is messy but fast, and I think I am getting more stain on and in that way than pure rolling would do.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
russlaferrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulepackin View Post
Well I went with the Behr semi transparent. Bought a third again as much as it should have taken, and it only did half the building. Now wouldn't you know it they are out of the base needed to make the color I chose. Might come in on Tues or Thurs (of course the sale is over then). Anyway I am using the deck sprayer and back rolling. It is messy but fast, and I think I am getting more stain on and in that way than pure rolling would do.
Go to Customer Service and explain your story. That THEY ran out of the product. And you would be very happy to buy more at the sale price " You can do it. We can help" Now is their chance!
russlaferrera is offline   Reply With Quote