Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower
Default Current cost/yard for concrete in your area?

Trying to do some estimating for a driveway.

What's the cost in your area? I seem to remember it being around $100/yard delivered.

Just ran the numbers, I need 106 yards @ 6" or 71 yards @ 4" for the whole driveway...

Calculator:
http://tcapps.solarvelocity.com/calculator.asp
Old 09-01-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
kutza

Default Re: Current cost/yard for concrete in your area?

Just pricd this out 8/30/07, In Yorktown VA, 23692
4000 PSI, @ $91.50
4000 PSI Fiber-Crete @97.50
Old 09-01-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
dxdexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
Trying to do some estimating for a driveway.

What's the cost in your area? I seem to remember it being around $100/yard delivered.

Just ran the numbers, I need 106 yards @ 6" or 71 yards @ 4" for the whole driveway...

Calculator:
http://tcapps.solarvelocity.com/calculator.asp
The scary part is you can expect to double the cost with grading, forming, placing and finishing. We also have similar costs for concrete here in Canada. We generally specify 5000psi air entrained concrete for driveways and walks.
dxdexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
OldCarGuy

You should be able to negotiate a better price per yard with the purchase of a 100 yards. In my area of Ohio, there’s a fair amount of competition, it’d be around $85.00 per yard 4,500 PSI air entrained.

My "Class Act" Car Hauler's===> Structural Failure

OldCarGuy's New Toy Shop Complex
OldCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
Junkman

In NJ with the harsh winters, I would use asphalt instead of concrete. You can get a very good quality 2" base coat driveway that will last for many years if you take care of it, and when you have the extra money, have the top coat laid. This is what I did with my driveway.... It is about 2000' x 10' wide.

Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
327-365hp

I just paid $80 per yard here in central Mass. That was my concrete guys price. If I bought it myself it would have been $100.
327-365hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #7
RacerX

Last I checked a short time ago in Houston, Tx the price is $78 / yd

My guy's price is $6 /sq ft including concrete - forms, rebar, mesh, all.
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #8
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman View Post
In NJ with the harsh winters, I would use asphalt instead of concrete. You can get a very good quality 2" base coat driveway that will last for many years if you take care of it, and when you have the extra money, have the top coat laid. This is what I did with my driveway.... It is about 2000' x 10' wide.
I thought about that, but I'm not sure I want to coat the thing every 1-2 years. I have a lot of sqft. Plus, I was thinking of doing the concrete in sections...and by myself (with help) = less labor cost.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #9
Junkman

I had a base coat put down and never coated it once. The reason I mentioned "maintenance" was that you need to treat it with respect. You can't park cars on it and forget them. You can't jack your car up on it. It requires some common sense if you expect it to last. You also have to "back up" the edges and make sure that they are solid. If you allow grass to get started in a crack, it will get worse. If a hole develops, you have to fix it before it gets big, or it will only get worse. In my driveway, it had 24" of good gravel fill over the ground. The top soil was removed prior to putting down the gravel. About 5 years after doing the base coat, I noticed a large bulge in the pavement. When they dug it out, there was a boulder that was at least 28" in diameter. It had come up from below as a result of the freeze thaw freeze cycle that we have in New England. Around here, rocks grow in the lawn ever winter like potatoes. This is why I don't like concrete for cold climates. It has a tendency to crack, unlike asphalt which has a lot of "give" to it. The important thing is to find a honest contractor that will do a good job. That is difficult in the asphalt business since it is often filled with schemers that take your money and leave you with what looks good, but falls apart in a few years. A good asphalt driveway isn't cheaper than concrete if done properly, but has a lot of benefits over concrete. It is a lot easier to repair a asphalt driveway than it is to replace a concrete section.
PS..... I have had my driveway sealed once since the top coat was installed. I have a friend that has a 40 year old parking lot that has been sealed every 3 years since new, and it is as good today as the day it was installed.

Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Good info, Junk. But I can't DIY asphalt. I thought I'd give it a go with concrete.

Why do you think the harsh winter will have an affect? Because of the salt from the road?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #11
carguy123

Concrete is $2.30 - $2.50 a square foot here for 4" thick flatwork like a driveway. That includes all the prep and all the rebar.
3 wipe your butt with your bare left hand, but consider bacon unclean.
4 think vests come in two styles: bullet-proof & suicide.
5 consider TV dangerous, but carry explosives in your clothing.
6 were amazed to discover that cell phones have uses other than setting off roadside bombs.
carguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:57 PM   #12
OldCarGuy

Been there done that,, I would never consider asphalt as a paving surface. Neither for my home nor rental properties, residential or industrial. Years ago I went that route to save a few dollars. But I quickly learned in the long run it cost me more aggravation and money than it was worth. I ended up replacing that asphalt within seven years. The replacement concrete looks very acceptable after 30 years use..

Parking vehicles, particularly close to the edges spells disaster. You cannot use a bicycle stand let alone a motor cycle. Don’t even think about any heavy vehicles or maneuvering dulies or two axle trailers. And with our drastic climate changes, and even with a proper base and drainage, seal coating every two years is a necessity to receive any kind of life expectancy. Then on hot days there’s always tracking into house.

No doubt concrete will crack. However with the proper base and drainage, life expectancy of concrete far out weights any minor savings over asphalt...

My "Class Act" Car Hauler's===> Structural Failure

OldCarGuy's New Toy Shop Complex
OldCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:31 AM   #13
bluesman2a

$95 a yard for air entrained 4500 psi... in atlanta, ga.
bluesman2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:22 AM   #14
Charles (in GA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman2a View Post
$95 a yard for air entrained 4500 psi... in atlanta, ga.
Thats cheap, many plants around Atlanta are $100 (and higher) a yard for "3000 commercial". A guy at work just got it for $85 a yard by paying for all of his estimated use in advance for a poured basement and everything on a new house construction.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:39 AM   #15
bluesman2a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles (in GA) View Post
Thats cheap, many plants around Atlanta are $100 (and higher) a yard for "3000 commercial". A guy at work just got it for $85 a yard by paying for all of his estimated use in advance for a poured basement and everything on a new house construction.
That was from ReadyMix out of Lawrenceville, based on 48 yards. I also had to buy 2.5" line-pump mix for my poured wall, it came in at $112 per yard. One thing I have heard locally, they are hurting for business, so I pushed them pretty hard on price. Since it was part of my contractor debacle, I gave the guy a choice of cash today at my price, or you can chase my loser-ass contractor. Needless to say, he came to pick up the check the same day.
bluesman2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 07:09 AM   #16
shocksystems

Send a message via MSN to shocksystems

Things must be very different in Ohio than they are here in New England. In my area of MA concrete driveways are almost unheard of. It is not for lack of money or unwillingness to pay. The new construction around here spare no expense (and charge accordingly). Over the years the few concrete driveways I have encountered end up looking terrible. I am with Junk on this one, at least in New England.

Cheers!

Jim
shocksystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #17
dxdexter

I am in Eastern Canada and our winters and freeze/thaw conditions are similar if not worse than New England and I would always recomend concrete over asphalt, but I work in the industry, so maybe my view is slanted.

The main reason many concrete driveways look terrible is that they are more often than not poorly executed. When constructed properly concrete will last many many years longer than asphalt with less maintenance.

The most common problems are:
  • Improper base preparation (gravel thickness, compaction)
  • Use of non-air entrained concrete in areas with freeze/thaw. It should be air entrained (5% to 8%) and tested, in the plastic state, to verify that air is actually in the mix.
  • Use of low strength concretes (3000psi). The Canadian Standards recommend at least 32Mpa (4700psi) for exterior use in presence of freeze/thaw and deicing chemicals.
  • High water to cementitious materials ratio (w/cm). In laymans terms "wet" or "high slump" concretes which results in low strength and high rates of shirkage resulting in cracking and poor durability.
  • To much working of the surface while finishing. Concrete should be straight edged, floated and broomed with as little manipulation as possible. Overworking and/or addition of water to finish surface will result in a less durable product.
  • Not saw cutting at proper spacing ASAP (24hrs or less) to at least 1/4 the slab depth.
  • Improper moist curing (seven days recomended)
  • Not Filling joints with proper joint filler and maintaining which allows moisture to sit in joints and freeze resulting damage in the joint area.

Although all of the above are important the one that will show up as a major failure of the product is the use of non-air entrained concretes. The surface can spall or delaminate in just one season with non-air entrained mixes.

Ill-informed DIY'ers ,or contractors who think all there is to placing concrete is to place it between some forms and run a 2x4 straight edge across to level it, give the whole industry a bad name.

No disrespect intended for DIY'ers. Just be aware of the potential problems that can result when concretes are placed improperly.

Last edited by dxdexter; 09-03-2007 at 07:31 AM. Reason: reduce font size
dxdexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #18
Deltarat

$100 in Ms.
Deltarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #19
Falcon05Dad

Not a driveway but to give you a comparison on material and labor:

White County, TN - approx halfway between Nashville and Knoxville

42'x32' pad - 5 inches thick

$76/yd - 4000 psi

My finisher charged $.65 sq. ft. and did a fantastic job.

My framer charged $350 to form up the doorways (block foundation) and a utility slab, level the stone, lay the plastic, put down rebar grid, and install the grade stakes. Acting as my own GC, I purchased all materials.

Last edited by Falcon05Dad; 09-02-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Falcon05Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:38 PM   #20
Mr. Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
Good info, Junk. But I can't DIY asphalt. I thought I'd give it a go with concrete.
Do you have friends who can supply the tools, equipment, labor, and knowledge?

Last edited by Mr. Welsh; 09-02-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Mr. Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote