Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
patman2

Question Barn DEconstruction company in Elmira NY area?

My MIL lives in the Elmira NY area, and her barn needs to come down. She did some looking for places that would dismantle it for her and cart it all away. Problem is...she says there are a bunch of places advertised, and she wants to get hooked up with a reputable one. She'd like to get some $ out of the deal too, but I'm not sure what the market is for that these days.

The barn is (guessing) 40x80 footprint, with a fieldstone foundation basement, the main floor, plus some loft area.

So...does anyone have a recommendation for a reputable company in that area that could deconstruct her barn?
patman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
justanengineer

Location: In a house, attached to a garage, on a street, in a city, in NW Indiana...
Default Re: Barn DEconstruction company in Elmira NY area?

I used to live in Northern NY. From experience, call the nearest farmer that owns a dozer and offer $100 + fuel cost to knock it down. Then place a sign next to the road that says "Free firewood" on it. Whatever is left after the vultures swoop, call the farmer back to bury.

Hate to break her heart, but she isnt going to make money off a project like this. She will only lose it. Free barns for the hauling in the northeast are like fallen barns, there are thousands. I can think of at least a dozen within 10 miles of my brother's farm.

If she wants it deconstructed and removed, and is willing to pay the cash, one of the only building/structure moving companies in NY (I believe) is actually in Elmira. Given a week I could probably come up with the name, but she may know them as they are rather famous for moving some ridiculously large structures .
"I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

WANTED: Super Clean or NOS Peterson Vise-Grips.
Please look here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...28#post3699228

Last edited by justanengineer; 07-30-2011 at 07:12 PM.
justanengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #3
norcaljr

how old is the barn ?

isnt "reclaiming" the wood from old barns the cool eco thing to do now ? seems like there were a couple shows on TV about companys doing stuff like that in the NE.
norcaljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Stuart in MN

This website lists some companies that buy and sell old barns: http://www.thebarnpages.com/SearchCompanies.cfm
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
BillK

Pat,
Get an issue of "This Old House" magazine. There are always a couple of ads for places selling the old barn boards. Might even be on the web site ?

Enginerepairshop.com
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
romafern
Banned

Just curious...why does the barn have to come down?

I am a city slicker always trying to learn something new...
romafern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
colt zantop

depending on the age of the barn....the wood COULD be worth money. some of the large ruff cut beams get big bucks.

NOW OFFERING CUSTOM garage/mancave license plate art!

PM me or check out the classifieds!

ALSO check out my NEW store below!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThePlateFac...ef=seller_info
colt zantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
930dreamer
Super Moderator

Any pics of the old barn?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
patman2

Thanks very much for the replies, keep the info coming...

I wasn't sure if this was a pay or get paid situation, the market fluctuates. Good point on the number of available barns, supply and demand definitely comes into play.

Finding a company isn't too hard, finding a reputable one that will give my MIL a square deal is tougher. Any postive recommendations of companies you have dealt with (or red flags to watch out for) would be greatly appreciated.

The reason it needs to come down is that the back corner wall has slipped off of the supports, and it's slowly shifting more and more in that direction. It'll come down by itself eventually, but that won't be good. Repairing it isn't in the cards.

Here's a picture from about 8 years ago. The front grade is built up to the main floor level, the ground slopes down so the floor is 10' or so above grade at the back. There's drive-in access to the basement from the LH side.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg barnSmall.jpg (137.6 KB, 135 views)
patman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
99LeCouch

See if you can't get paid for some of that wood, or at least break even on the cost of tear-down. If that's like other barns around here, the main supports just don't grow like that anymore. It would be a shame to see that hauled away to the Lowman landfill.
99LeCouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
ishiboo

Looks like smooth barn boards, the wood buyers want rough. Check Craigslist - lots of people selling "barn boards" for $1-2/lf and they never sell any of it.

You're lucky if someone will take that barn for free. Probably the only thing of value is the inside floor, if in reusable shape, and the beams if they're hand hewn and not saw cut. For that, the buyer has to disassemble everything and pay to dispose of all the garbage like the entire roof ($$$).

You'll then have to find someone to demolish and haul the foundation, not chump change either.

It may actually be cheaper to repair it.

If you're set on demoing it, I would get some buyers around to tell you what kind of wood and quantities are in it, but I'm fairly sure you won't get any money for it.
ishiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:11 AM   #12
Nighttrain

If it's in bad shape have her ask the local Fire Dept to see if they need a practice fire house! And if they have done that before who they use to come in after and clean it up. They may even clean up after the fire. Just a thought. It would be nice to salvage some of that wood.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
jhelrey

Just do what my buddy did... Wait for a very foggy night, keyword, very foggy, and light it up!
jhelrey is offline   Reply With Quote