Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #41
Wingnut65

Default Re: Salt Life Hideout

mdbeck1: Yes, the handle of both jacks are removed. The orange HF jack has a 1/4" bolt to lock in the handle and still allow it to twist. I only hand tighten it so I can remove it and stand it up near the garage door track. Then they can both fit under the cabinet. As for the bungee cords, I've had some securing stuff and through time and the heat of the garage, they loose their bungeeness. If the chairs are not tightly held in place, the door will not close or will be stiff to open. Not sure they would work for this case.

A1an: Thanks, neighbor. Hope you've gotten settled in your new place.

Bob: Some more nice pix. I agree that doors help hide all the clutter. I don't hoard, but I do have cool collections of 'valuable property' that I keep gathering! I like your cabinet set-up. My problem is if I would have that many, I'd fill them too. Having the full cabinets at the front would be nice to have. BTW, Nice rides you have. Love the engine on the C3. The C3 is my favorite and is on my bucket list.

couchmechanic: Funny you should mention a tankless water heater. Its in the works. Behind the water heater is the Laundry Room. Earlier this year we had an opportunity to get a second fairly new washer and dryer for a song. My wife always wanted two stacing W&D's. So, when I ripped off the Laundry Room drywall for adding the plumbing, electric and vent, I had a hot, cold and drain lines pushed through the wall and capped behind the water heater. So, whenever the water heater tank decides to give up its life, we will go with a tankless and I get a utility sink. Problem is with these newer tanks, it'll probably last another 15 years.

- Shop Sign: WE DO PRECISION GUESSWORK
- Follow along as I work on my

Last edited by Wingnut65; 08-09-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Wingnut65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #42
Red Leader

Gettin' thangs done! I like it!

Great job on the cabinet build. Whats next?

Currently looking for the following vintage Craftsman tools:
1940-1941 Craftsman 101.02180 9" cabinet saw - link
1956-1957 Craftsman 12" Foley-Belsaw planer - link
1940s floor press model 103-0304
1939-1940 10" band saw model 103.0101
Also looking for a 1942 Craftsman shop vise:
http://images116.fotki.com/v693/phot...49_01PM-vi.png
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #43
Wingnut65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post

Thanks, RL. Next up is a spray paint cabinet to fill a normally useless space...

Old 08-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #44
1991Syclone

It looks like you have a high enough ceiling that these might help get some of the clutter off the floor:

http://www.hyloft.com/products-by-ca...g-storage.html

I've got two in packages waiting for the right garage to install them in. Put all the holiday decorations into a bunch of Rubbermaid storage bins and get them out of the way.
1991Syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #45
A1an

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpire View Post
This is the one I have. Its just about perfect.

Now I keep the mower, trimmer, gas, fertilizers, and insecticides in it. Its very versatile.

This is exactly what I have been looking for to get my mower out of the the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut65 View Post
A1an: Thanks, neighbor. Hope you've gotten settled in your new place.
Still working on it...I am sure that will always be the case but I'm hoping I'll get more time to get out there and get stuff done soon.
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #46
mpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
This is exactly what I have been looking for to get my mower out of the the garage.
Yeah, its just about perfect.

The mower handles have nylon lock nuts to hold the handles on, I drilled out the nyloc part and now its a snap to put in and out.

I still keep the rakes and shovels in a cabinet in the garage, but I clean them after use and give them a coat of WD40.

The garage doesn't smell like gas or fertilizer anymore.
mpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #47
shopnut

New avatar, upgraded garage - you got it going on Wingnut65! Both look great.
Mrs. Shopnut's toys: She's too modest

Click to check out: The ASYLUM (w/ apt) //My City Garage // My parents' garages

shopnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #48
Wingnut65

1991Syclone: Great idea, but I've got a lot already happening on the ceiling to go and take up that much space. I will be having some projects where I need the head room. Besides, I've got a tall attic still to fill.

A1an: Those are great cabinets. I will consider them before I go much further. And for your shop, give it time... When I think I have my plans all set, someone posts another cool idea that I want to include. I've found that I don't find time for anything, I must make it. Set an hour a week, half an hour a night, just make some time for positive garage progress. At the end of the week, you could be 2-3 hours further along than if you wait for the time to come to you. Good Luck with it.

mpire: You are disciplined! Usually I am thrilled if I can get all the tools in the garage before the rain. I really should treat them with WD40. I DID sharpen all my shovels last year! Does that count?

shopnut: Thanks for noticing. Sort of an 'Inspiration' shot... I took the photo a while ago and tried to make it into an avatar when I started this thread, but the programs I have won't save it compressed enough. I had to use an online avatar maker. Works great. Now I want to work on the bus, too.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #49
iatros

Ah, I didn't think about the weight issue with the shutters!

One recommendation, when I built my spray can rack, I wish I would have enclosed it! It's great to get all that stuff out of the way, but out of sight would have been even better.

Thanks for the RD invite, I've seen some garages already with it, and I'm pretty much sold. Just waiting to have my Release of Funds approved by the Happiness Czar

Whats the latest update on SaltLife?? I need some more motivation lol

~ Spread my work ethic... Not my wealth
iatros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #50
Wingnut65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatros View Post
Whats the latest update on SaltLife?? I need some more motivation lol
Thanks for asking...

Next up…

Spray Paint Cabinet Build…

In this build, I created a cabinet that fills what normally would be wasted space. Maybe others can use this concept to gain more storage for stuff. Not just any stuff, but Garage Stuff!

Most time consuming part was the design and planning. Spacing of the shelves was based on spray paint cans. I measured all that I had and planned the shelf spacing accordingly. On my ‘Before’ cabinet, I had only one shelf for those ‘Bonus Size’ spray cans. Now I can fit them in.

This is what I started with. Majority of the contents is spray paint, but if its tall or short, liquid or powder or dried solid in the can, it’s probably in here – paints, glues, stains, lubricants, polishes, etc. This cabinet was born out of necessity when I moved in and needed a place to store stuff. I made it from some 1x6’s I found in trash piles as other houses in my neighborhood were being built. A 1x6 will allow stacking of two spray cans deep. The door is a 24x36” single piece of plywood to act as a bulletin board if needed.

Here is the ‘Before’ shot. Besides the clutter, I just don’t like looking in the garage and seeing the water heater and the A/C unit.

Here is my plan to fix this area. I want to put doors across the water heater and the A/C unit to conceal it. (There will be a vented panel above the gas water heater.) But, someone here gave me the idea of putting shelves on the inside of those doors for added storage. Great! More free storage that doesn’t take up floor or wall space! But, the middle section is the A/C return air duct where THIS project takes place. (In the photo, the dashed lines are doors, pointing toward the hinges)

At the bottom, there is about 5-1/2” from the face of the plenum box below and the duct.

The top of the duct offsets to miss a truss. So, the sketch shows that I can only extend up to this angle. BTW, this is actually insulation wrapped around a sheet metal duct. It has no structural integrity and it’s easy to perforate.

Here are my supplies for framing this cabinet and the other two doors that I am planning. (Also, this was RaceDeck layout concept 1)

The left side will be the just the side of the cabinet and a 1x6 is fine. The right side will also be the hinge point for the A/C door. I used a 2x6 for that vertical to carry the load of storage shelves on the inside of the door. I added bracing in the attic between trusses and added plenty of #10 screws into it. This 2x will be carrying a load and needs to be secure.

Since the duct is not perfectly plumb, in order to get the top shelf to fit and the cabinet to be plumb, I had to pull the bottom out a little.

Nest step, the shelves…

Once I measured and marked the shelf spacing on one side, I held a shelf in place with spring clamps while I leveled them. I then secured with 3 screws per side.

The shelves are done and ready for the back of the cabinet.

Due to my spacing I needed, the top shelf actually went above the angle on the ductwork. So, I had to plane down the top corner to make it.

The doors are 5/8” plywood. I painted everything from a spare can I had. The wall colors will be painted on the face when the other two doors are finished. This also shows how critical my planning had to be. Since I will have the hinge side of a door on the right, I need these doors to open and not swing outward into the other door. So…

…On each door, I used 3 surface mounted hinges for frameless cabinets. First time I’ve tried these and they were not that bad. The hardest part was the doors had the Florida humidity warp started and they were not straight when standing open. I guess through time they have accepted their place in this world and have conformed to my wishes.

Here is the finished product! I wish it could have been bigger, but that’s all the space I had available. And remember… Space Creates Vacuum!

HINGE LOCATION NOTE: I must also note that I wish I had loaded the cabinet before mounting the hinges. All I did was to mark the center and then measured in from the top and bottom and mounted them. With these hinges, they need someplace to go when they close. Now, I can’t have tall cans where the hinges are or they will be pushed in when the door closes and jump out of the cabinet when opened. I learned that one quickly! If I would do this again, the hinges would be mounted immediately below the middle and lower shelf and possibly above the top shelf. But if you plan this in your shop, maybe you could use more traditional hinges that would not cause a problem.

Thanks for all the great comments and ideas the GJ members have been offering. These are helpful to me and others.

Now you have been motivated… Go Forth And Build!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #51
A1an

I am stealing your air handler idea. I have the exact same setup in my garage and I've been scratching my head trying to figure out what to do with it.

Good point about allocating a little time each evening to the garage. Luckily for me I work from home so I can get out in the garage during my lunch hour when I'm not doing other things on my break.

Last edited by A1an; 08-10-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #52
A1an

Also...where are you getting your lumber for this project? Looks too straight to be from HD or Lowes.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #53
1991Syclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Also...where are you getting your lumber for this project? Looks too straight to be from HD or Lowes.
You can get straight lumber from these places. They call it "premium" wall studs.
1991Syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #54
flybefree

Wingnut...we have to end this warping madness...can you frame the doors with a little 1 x 2...maybe use some pocket screws to hold it all together and paint the frame with a contrasting color? Would something like that stop the warping you think?

Shaun

All Men are Created Equal...the difference is what they do after that.
flybefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #55
wolflrv

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybefree View Post
Wingnut...we have to end this warping madness...can you frame the doors with a little 1 x 2...maybe use some pocket screws to hold it all together and paint the frame with a contrasting color? Would something like that stop the warping you think?

Shaun
I was thinking about this warping thing too. It might be cool to frame out "Salt Life Hideout" in trim board and paint it as a "theme" anchor point for the garage. The lettering should give it enough stability to not warp....just an idea..
Old 08-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #56
Wingnut65

A1an: If I give you permission, then it wouldn't be stealing, so I won't and you'll have to steal. It took a lot of thinking about every wall in my garage and how to get the most out of the space. It works for me, hope it does for you, too. I think this lumber was from HD. Took a while sorting through the rack to find a couple that I would accept. If I wasn't so cheap, I'd buy the better quality wood.

1991Syclone: Exactly. Took me a while, but I found enough for the project.

flybefree: I think I am to blame for some of it. For a while, the only acreage I had to store plywood was leaning against the wall. That probably added the sag in the middle. These doors I really wanted a smooth finish. But a frame on the inside might still work. I will have this solved on the next two doors - they will be reinforced big time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolflrv View Post
I was thinking about this warping thing too. It might be cool to frame out "Salt Life Hideout" in trim board and paint it as a "theme" anchor point for the garage. The lettering should give it enough stability to not warp....just an idea..
wolflrv: Not a bad idea! I hadn't thought about making a 3-D Logo. I did think about painting it on the side wall. I had been planning on having the front of the garage clean with flush smooth doors. I would continue the 2-tone paint and accent stripe across all the doors and cabinets to make them disappear. But, I like your idea. This cabinet and the right door will be flush and in the same plane. Putting the SLH logo there would strengthen all the doors. Thanks for mentioning it. I might owe you one!

Old 08-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #57
Ole_Red

subscribed! nice work!
Ole_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #58
Bob Heine

Jeff, I've been fighting the Florida warping problems for more than 35 years. In my first Florida house I tried Masonite for the sliding doors and it was horrible. Not sure if it was the tempered kind or not but they were far more warped than your plywood panels. Mine were obviously too big (47"x48") but they actually bowed out - and in - to form an 'S'. I even put them in the driveway with 2"x10" planks and concrete block to try to flatten them. That's why my current garage has the laminate-covered doors. My next cabinet (for the garage electronics) will be MDF.

Those European hinges have grown on me over the years but I hated having the cabinet doors start snapping - followed by flopping - when the hinges wore out. Between the kitchen, bathrooms and garage there are about 120 hinges and every year one or two go bad. I hate to buy a whole new hinge when only the moving part is bad. I found Specialty Supplies in Pompano Beach, FL that sells the individual pieces. Every five or six years, I go there and buy a dozen pieces. The first set ran about $0.80 each but last time they were close to $1.50 each. Still better than paying more than $5.

The store now has a web site:
http://www.specialtysupplies.com/
Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #59
walker450

Great work! Thanks for describing in detail what you are doing. This will help myself and countless other newbies when we start building cabinets, etc.
walker450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #60
Wingnut65

Ole Red: Welcome to the Salt Life Hideout! Glad you stopped by. Feel free to jump in any time. I can still make room for your Stude in there... Nice wagon!

Bob: We've had a lot of humidity this week, and I mean it was think - 4" yesterday and 3" today. For the doors, a while ago, I discussed with 28HopUp about the hardboard doors he put on his workbench and he had great success. Since my 1/4" didn't last, I figured I would give masonite a try. My biggest door is 21-1/2". Now that you bring it up, I may just store mine in the attic until I'm content or need to change back. For the hardware, I haven't had any problems with the ones in my house. Thanks for the info on Specialty Supplies - http://www.specialtysupplies.com/ I've got to save their address. I guess I wasn't aware I could buy just the pieces. I DID learn something new today!

walker450: Thanks for the comments. I've been helped many times by other member's builds and the steps they went through. I want to offer the same step-by-step documentary for you and others as well. I've heard that some members with build threads a couple years old are amazed to go back and read from page 1. Its hard even for me to remember what my garage started like before I built the cabinets. Hang around long enough and I'll keep posting.

Last edited by Wingnut65; 08-10-2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spellcheck

Tags
custom cabinets, racedeck floor, vw bus