Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
PoorOwner

Default What is the definition of a 2.5 car garage?

A lot of people use this term, what constitutes a 2.5 car garage?
I think if you can't park 3 cars, then it's a 2 car garage
PoorOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
Danglerb

Default Re: What is the definition of a 2.5 car garage?

I've seen garages that have a small room either off to the side or extending one of the bays. A place for stuff, not really cars.

No idea if it really means anything.
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
poncho62

my 24x24 is called a 2 car, but I can squeeze 3 in................I would think that a 2 1/2 would be 28 or 30 ft wide.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
BlueZero

My house was advertised as having a 2.5 stall. There is a 16' wide door, on one side of the door is about 3' on the other about 6'. I think realtors call it that if there is more room around two cars other than just a walking path.
BlueZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #5
5wndwcpe

Ever see a Nash Metropolitan ?

In the beginning, the Patriot is a scarce man, a brave man, a hated man and scorned man. When his cause succeeds, however,the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.
5wndwcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
boiler7904

Depends on the realtor selling the property.

All of the garages in my subdivision are exactly the same except that half are 1' deeper. The builder called them 2 car garages.

Now that the builder is out and some people are starting to move out of the subdivision, realtors list the garages as 2 1/2 car.

I have one of the deeper garages. It is 19' wide x 22'-6" deep. Nowhere near big enough to be considered 2 1/2 car in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
Oh, and it's BMWPower. I do have powerful BM's but wouldn't want everyone to know all my secrets.
boiler7904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #7
Franz©
Banned

Enough room for a Hyundai Sonata, a 68 Plymouth Fury 3, shelves, containers of various shapes and sizes a row of filing cabinets converted to hold parts, and 1 pissed off wiff announcing the moving pad clipped to the front of the cabinets really isn't sufficient protection for the door of her car being slammed into the pad is a 2 car garage.

A 2˝ car garage is 7 feet wider, allowing the M-37 to be parked inside next to the Fury 3. The 2˝car configuration would also allow installing a turntable for the wiff's car by eliminating the M-37 and Fury parking in the garage.

This configuration does not eliminate the wiff factor, and the yellow lines painted on the floor for her convenience in parking are a BAD idea, wasn't that damn tennis ball insulting enough? Also, a garage of any size should not include any type of electronic sensors to orient the wiff parking her car in an appropriate space.
I will never understand how the hell a woman can squeeze in and out of a space at the Mall that is only 9 feet wide, and have problems getting in and out of a 10 foot wide garage space. Then again, I'm still trying to figure out why I haven't had a garage for my vehicle since the wiff moved in. I remember building the garage so I didn't have to leave my vehicle out in the snow.

Oh hell, you figure it out.
Franz© is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

I think it is sort of like the 2.5 children the average family has...

Basically, half again as much room as a "normal" two car garage. Extra space for the lawn mower, kids' toys, etc...
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #9
SteveL

Before I added on to mine it was 27' x 22' and was wide enough to squeeze three little cars in but only had a two car over head door. The extra space on the side was nice for stuff like the lawn mower, trash cans, etc.

Now it's three and a half!

'06 Mercedes C230
'02 BMW 330ci
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
KELLHAMMER

Basically, a car generally is 5 to 6 feet wide and a midsize SUV is around 15 foot long at the most. If you were to add 30 inches to each side and the ends that would give you the basic dimensions of a simple 1 car garage.
A two car would mean adding 30 inches to the middle space between the two cars. That would gize you the basic dimensions of a simple two car garage interior dimensions. Make the the garage 24 to 25 feet deep and it considered oversized.
KELLHAMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:02 AM   #11
thefairlaneman
Banned

a 2.5 is what I have. I can park 2 full sized cars side by side and still have room to put my little kia sideways on the end. very tight but the door will close so thats why I call it a 2.5
thefairlaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #12
mhoffm911

It surprises me that no one has mentioned "room for a motorcycle". That's generally the determining factor for me. Could I squeeze 2 cars and a motorcycle or riding lawn mower into the extra space? If so, it's a 2.5 car.
mhoffm911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:58 AM   #13
JMURiz

I'd call a garage that can fit two cars and a motorcycle or two a 2.5 car garage...but that's just me. Typically it's a garage that has a people door on the same side as the car doors.
Various cars and motorcycles to be stored inside.
JMURiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #14
christian

mines a tight 3 car-20x30. Theres about 2 feet on each side of the cars on the end bays then about 4 feet between the middle car and the one on each side. pretty much just enough room to walk but we fit a motorcycle and all kinds of cabinets and shit in there too.
christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #15
russlaferrera

You can park 2 full size cars and open the doors to get out from the drivers or passenger side.
russlaferrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #16
ewils35

My garage was considered a 2.5 car and the measurements are 20ft by 20ft

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
ewils35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #17
KCarGuy

When my Parents had their House Built in 1956, some Houses came with Garages that had about 2 feet on each side of the Main Garage Door.
Then Others were Built with 2 feet on one side and 6 feet on the other.
Those were called 1/2 Garages. (1 1/2 car, 2 1/2 Car, etc)

Basically room for Lawn Mowers, work bench and other stuff, this way you didnt need a shed also.

My Parents garage was originally a One and a Half, with a side Porch and overhang.
That part was turned into a screened in porch years later, so they could sit in the shade and keep an eye on us kids, while we were in the pool.
Then, years later, was closed in and became part of the garage. Making it a Two and a Half Car Garage.

My Garage is 30 feet wide and 25 feet deep.
I can fit 3 cars easily and plenty of room to walk around each one.
I call it a Three and a Half car Garage...But all my Friends and Family call it a Four Car.

(My take on it, is if the room next to the Garage door is shallow, Or Deep. Then that makes it a Full Car or Half Car).
KCarGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #18
Milton Shaw

My question is---Who on this forum can actually get cars into a garage without moving/throwing away stuff. I have two garages, the one car that came with the house that almost has enough room for mowers/bikes/yard tools. Then I built a one car garage that was 28x32 for a shop, but still have to move stuff to get a car into. Not enough room to work on a car and anything else. My cars would think they had died and gone to heaven to get parked in a garage. And I am sure not going to spoil my wife by letting her car inside where she doesn't have to scrape frost off in the morning.
Milton Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #19
theoldwizard1

Anything bigger than 20x20.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #20
evildky

Realtors are notorious for overstating garage size. 12 wide is a one car, 18 wide is 1.5, 20-24 wide is 2 car 28-30 is 2.5. it's not about how many cars you can actually fit in there it's about how many 8' wide doors you could fit. obviously if it's long enough to park the cars 2 deep you double the number.
evildky is offline   Reply With Quote