Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #241
Faria

Default Re: 44 Bikes Frame Shop

Hi!
Very nice shop and very cool bike frames!Great skils to!
Keep the good work!
Faria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #242
mellephants

I love the shop, looks like you have a nice life going here
mellephants is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #243
fortyfour

@Paredown: Early on I found this Flickr set to be incredibly inspirational. The integration of natural surroundings with the structure in Japanese Architecture is something I have always admired. It's a bit controlled at times, but I like their open floor plans and studio like feel. Thanks for the kind words on the build out.
44 Bikes Shop Build
fortyfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #244
smsteve

Hi Fourtyfour, I've posted your thread before, still subscribed and enjoying every one of your posts.

Looking at this picture and knowing your floor issues had me thinking of another thread on GJ.

Why not, put down a raised wood floor? You could install it to deal with the 1" down on that side, good in the middle and 3" down on the other side. As others have said apparently the NH winter can make a cement floor hell, well that would no longer be as major a concern.

Linked below is one of my other favorite threads as the OP, Wbrian63, is so good at detailing his work and is also quite detail oriented, but in the wood world. He is running a wood shop and wanted the ability for under floor dust collection as well as some of the natural flex for comfort that the raised wood floor offers.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=60859

I'm not sure if it is even a good idea for what your work entails, but you seem to be as good at building with wood as you are with metals, so I just thought maybe it could solve multiple issues with your older building. Perhaps you could even lay down some interesting hardwood and just richen that already sweet workspace even more. I think with your eye it could be an amazing addition.

The Little Garage That Could
smsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #245
Red Leader

Haven't stopped by for a while but I wanted to congratulate you on your shop hitting the front pages of GJ

Things are looking just as beautiful as ever. Keep it up!

Currently looking for the following vintage Craftsman tools:
1940-1941 Craftsman 101.02180 9" cabinet saw - link
1956-1957 Craftsman 12" Foley-Belsaw planer - link
1940s floor press model 103-0304
1939-1940 10" band saw model 103.0101
Also looking for a 1942 Craftsman shop vise:
http://images116.fotki.com/v693/phot...49_01PM-vi.png
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #246
fortyfour

smsteve: That's a great thread and a great suggestion. I have indeed considered raising the south facing half of the shop as there will not be any machines on that side for a while. But I believe in the end I will have the shop side poured. Proper surface prep is essential as I understand it and I will not go on the cheap for that. But a great option in the meantime to consider.

Since I have been working the space for a bit I've become accustomed to the nuances of the heaves and holes.

Using the drywall lift however was an exercise in patience...

On another note, been going through some old photos lately. From the archive: Manually milling a hub shell on a South Bend Heavy 10 and 4 jaw chuck:

I had just finished boring the center out and was preparing to start in on the bearing faces. I left those long ends on the shell so I could hold it (They were later parted off one at a time after the holes for the spokes were drilled on an indexing head).

Makes me want a lathe sooner than later and will be nice to make round parts. That will most definitely be my big purchase sometime in 2012...
44 Bikes Shop Build
Old 01-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #247
fortyfour

Looks like winter has finally decided to show up with it's game face on:

Tentatively have scheduled to finish the lighting this weekend with a buddy. May have to put it off if the weather report turns out to be high of 5 deg. Don't want to put my friend through a frozen hell just to put these up. Going to be putting up some nice pendants I found at a farm supply shop:

The temporary florescent didn't have the 'glow' I was after. With the right bulbs I think I can get some nice light when the switch needs to be turned on.

Also finally got myself a rolling tool chest from the good folks at Boston Industrial. Great service and wonderful to work with. Had a nice chat with the freight company fellow who delivered them. Apparently he was a machinist in the late 80's. These are made by Excel. I have to say I did a bunch of research as I wanted a reliable set but something that wasn't going to burn a hole in my pocket. For the price, these are incredibly well built:

Step 1 was to unpack. Step two was put the wheels and handle on. Step 3 was to peel off the logos.

And last but not least, the Officially Unofficial Shop Rules supplied by my good pal Elise:

44 Bikes Shop Build
Old 01-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #248
scootermcrad

Really great shop space and transformation. I dig it for sure! And pretty inspirational business you have there! Keep the updates coming on your work space. Great pictures!
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #249
smsteve

Wow, just breathtaking! It probably looks colder than it really is right?

Love those "Unofficail Shop Rules".

Sorry to say, but it's sunny and 73 degrees here in Glendale, CA right now. I'll be taking the ZRX1200R out tomorrow for a ride up Angeles Crest Highway with some friends. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

The Little Garage That Could

Last edited by smsteve; 01-13-2012 at 05:17 PM.
smsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #250
fortyfour

smsteve: When winter happens here, it is pretty breathtaking indeed. When I took that shot it was about 25-30 deg. out. By the end of February I'm ready for things to melt though. I can't complain-we've had a pretty mild fall/winter thus far. 73 sounds nice though.

I spoke with my buddy this evening. Sunday's on for getting the lights hung and wired. He's ready to "wire the sh*t out of that place" if I may quote him... Gotta love devoted friends.
44 Bikes Shop Build
Old 01-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #251
mixxmstrmike

Send a message via Yahoo to mixxmstrmike

I love how the blue doors "pop" in that snow picture.

I read through all of the pages thus far and have to commend you on your great can-do attitude. Tenacious is a word I would describe you, and your workshop reflects your hardworking persona.

I would post this on mtbr, but I believe someone may have done that already.

If you ever make it to northern California, I'll have to get you in touch with Francis, aka Mr. MTBR. I'm sure he can gather up some riders and give you a tour of our local spots.

Continued success,
Mike
mixxmstrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #252
paredown

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
@Paredown: Early on I found this Flickr set to be incredibly inspirational. The integration of natural surroundings with the structure in Japanese Architecture is something I have always admired. It's a bit controlled at times, but I like their open floor plans and studio like feel. Thanks for the kind words on the build out.
Lovely photos--thanks--bookmarked and noted. I swear you can see the direct influence of some of those techniques on Frank Lloyd Wright--but even in Charles and Ray Eames, although they were using more metal...

The house we are working on is a 1960s contemporary--post and beam center section (tulip poplar--not sure it if was site cut or not), designed by Ferdinand Gottleib for a family whose paterfamilias was a well-known architectural photographer. It's been a labor of love, since it went through some hard years--neglect, water damage etc. But it definitely was well sited and has some of that natural, open but grounded feel to it.

I'm currently finishing up a new door rough-in, laundry (in the former darkroom space) and master bath/bedroom.

Then it will be garage time.
paredown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #253
fortyfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxmstrmike View Post

I read through all of the pages thus far and have to commend you on your great can-do attitude. Tenacious is a word I would describe you, and your workshop reflects your hardworking persona.

If you ever make it to northern California, I'll have to get you in touch with Francis, aka Mr. MTBR. I'm sure he can gather up some riders and give you a tour of our local spots.

Continued success,
Mike
Hey Thanks! I don't believe I have seen in on MTBR but it has been linked on the Road Bike side of things. Would be great to get a tour of local spots. I'll have to come with a few bike in tow...
44 Bikes Shop Build
Old 01-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #254
fortyfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxmstrmike View Post

Continued success,
Mike
Hey Thanks! I don't believe I have seen this thread mentioned on MTBR but it has been linked on the Road Bike side of things. Post up if you wish! Would be great to get a tour of local spots. I'll have to come with a few bike in tow...
44 Bikes Shop Build
Old 01-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #255
motorbreath53

I thought about this thread yesterday morning while trucking around on my mtn bike. There is a home visible from one of my often visited single track spots that looks very similar to your shop.

Anyway, I dig your shop, and am beyond impressed with your machine/fab work. Your giving me something to aspire to for sure.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #256
BlazenXLT

One of my favorite shops on the board. LOVE the snow pic

BlazenXLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #257
ct71rr

Very nice. You definitely have some serious skills with bike fab! Like many have stated, the doors came out awesome and I like the color. That floor would drive me nuts. Any plans to bust it out and repour? I live in MA. (dont laugh) and we havent had any snow, well, except from that freak storm back in October.
ct71rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #258
fortyfour

Just finished up the lighting with my buddy early this evening. I'll take another shot in the day time so you can see the fixtures. I had some florescent lights installed temporarily but just did not like the light and the buzz. Going to try out a bunch of different bulbs to fine tune the light quality. We set up the two pairs of lights so I could turn the two pairs on/off separately and I can add another pair of them to the center boxes in the future if I need more light:

Things are also prepped for running receptacles down the south facing wall too. I picked up the conduit for that when I got all the parts for this phase.

And a little "upgrade" for my tool chest: My Grandpop's business name plate. I've got a bunch of these and they go on choice places to add that little extra something:

44 Bikes Shop Build
Old 01-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #259
superspec

love the name plate ! im also following you on FB 44 bikes is def on my short list of bikes to own!
superspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #260
thk2c

Your posts are awesome! Seriously, keep it up. By far, my favorite thread in garagejournal. Someday I hope to have a place like that!!!
thk2c is offline   Reply With Quote