Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Ahsai

Default How to repair snapon FAR7200 air ratchet

Hi all, I just purchased a FAR7200 but there's a leak around the trigger even when the trigger is not touched. The manual calls for replacing the trigger valve and valve seat. Parts #4 and 5 shown below

FAR7200.jpg

Has anyone done that before? Is it just a matter of removing the inlet bushing (part #1) and go from there? Any special tools needed to remove/install part #5?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Ahsai; 08-08-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Ahsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
mrshaun

Default Re: How to repair snapon FAR7200 air ratchet

i send them in. the local repair shops will not attempt repair because they cannot get the big nut on the outside to torque down and stay in place.

Snap On ratchet repair tool SPP744
Holds the ball to the spring while installing new parts.

Old style track drawer removal tool 52638 ( remover)
thin little piece of metal used to release the latches on older snap on boxes.

Snap On Hard handles are back.
hard handle numbers thread:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...handle+numbers
If you have a ? email me, you will get a faster response than a PM.
mrshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
Ahsai

Thanks for the reply. The problem is mine is brand new and it does not make much sense to pay $127 (flat rate fee) for snapon to repair it when all I need are #4 and #5 ($7 total) replaced. Those could be replaced by removing the lower part of the ratchet (i.e., inlet bushing #1 only) without touching the rotor and ratchat head (at least that's what the owner's manual says). When you said "big nut", I assume you refer to part $43 above? The inlet bushing is a 18mm and should be easy to tighten to 20ftlb or so.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
Boiler

I just repaired a 720 (not 7200) last night in fact. It has basically the same parts you are going to be dealing with. Mine had a boot over the trigger button which was a NIGHTMARE to get the new one on (old was torn). I jacked with that for about 45 minutes, but I digress...

Take the inlet bushing out, make sure it has a good O'ring, make sure your spring is good, or if you can get one, get a replacement, should be cheap. Part 4 basically should just fall out if you have the spring out, but you might tap on the trigger a little if it won't. To get part #5 out I had to straighten a coathanger, then put a tiny 90 dgree bend on the end. easiest way to do this is bend it with some extra wire and then cut it real short, like a 1/8" finger sticking out. Send that in past the little plastic seat and then when you carefully pull it back out try to snag the seat with it. It should come out in a few tries.

Note the orientation in which it came out. Mine had a little raised area on one side, which was faced into the ratchet.

Finally I put the new #4 and #5 on my spring, held it vertical so it wouldn't fall off, and fed it up into the unit. My trigger button was accessible (no boot) so I took it out and watched inside for the valve stem. Then you bring it in and out until you get it through the trigger. Once through, reinstall inlet fitting and you're done. I had to then start trying to weasel a new trigger boot in but after some swearing I got it done. Works great now.

PS I could find nothing wrong with my old parts...but I still used the new ones.
Boiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Ahsai

Hi Boiler, extactly the info I need and thank you so much!! Mine has a rubber boot over the handle as well. How do you grip the handle/body preventing it from rotating when you took out the inlet bushing? I plan to use a slip joint plier with some padding and an impact gun to zap it out.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
wafrederick

I have mine sent in to get rebuilt least once a year by The Snap On dealer down the road in my area,I use mine a lot.It cost me last time $87.00 and some change to have my FAR7200 to get rebuilt.I had a leaky trigger with my FAR72B once after I recieved it back after getting it rebuilt.Sent it back again with no charge to fix it.My father gets mad at both of his,the lever to change direction sticks and have to use a pair of pliers to change direction.Geased it and still sticks.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
Ahsai

Thanks wafrederick for the info. I wish it was $87 in my area. Called two snapon local dealers, they charge $127-140. Inflation I guess.

It's interesting to know that the trigger could leak even right after a snapon rebuilt. Now I don't feel so bad about it leaking even though it's brand new I got it from eBay for $230 so I think it's a good deal even if it means I have to open it up to replace the valve and valve seat. The ratchet appears brand new.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
wafrederick

Dealer I handed mine to never quoted me a price.It only happened to me once with the leaking trigger after I got it back.The Snap On air ratchets are not throw aways and not cheap brand new.I admit Snap On makes the best 3/8 drive air ratchets,powerful and I bought my FAR7200 and FAR72B used on Ebay from pawn shops.The FAR72B came from a pawn shop in Virginia and the FAR7200 came from a Pawn shop in Colorado.This is the reason why I call them my pawn shop specials.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #9
MrMark

I would wrap it in an old serpentine belt or real leather belt and lightly clamp it in a vise to hold it. I would turn it out by hand.
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
Ahsai

Leather belt is a good idea. I would probably try to loosen it by hand first like you said.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #11
Ahsai

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafrederick View Post
Dealer I handed mine to never quoted me a price.It only happened to me once with the leaking trigger after I got it back.The Snap On air ratchets are not throw aways and not cheap brand new.I admit Snap On makes the best 3/8 drive air ratchets,powerful and I bought my FAR7200 and FAR72B used on Ebay from pawn shops.The FAR72B came from a pawn shop in Virginia and the FAR7200 came from a Pawn shop in Colorado.This is the reason why I call them my pawn shop specials.
Yes, the FAR7200 looks awesome. A quality product for sure...like all other snapon tools. They just feel right to your hands the first time and every time.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #12
I can fix anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahsai View Post
Thanks for the reply. The problem is mine is brand new and it does not make much sense to pay $127 (flat rate fee) for snapon to repair it when all I need are #4 and #5 ($7 total) replaced. Those could be replaced by removing the lower part of the ratchet (i.e., inlet bushing #1 only) without touching the rotor and ratchat head (at least that's what the owner's manual says). When you said "big nut", I assume you refer to part $43 above? The inlet bushing is a 18mm and should be easy to tighten to 20ftlb or so.
Brand new = warranty
I can fix anything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
Ahsai

Quote:
Originally Posted by I can fix anything View Post
Brand new = warranty
Except it's not bought from Snapon or Snapon dealer. It was bought from a third party from eBay. Called Snapon and they said they would not warranty tools that were bought from eBay
Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
emeraldcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshaun View Post
i send them in. the local repair shops will not attempt repair because they cannot get the big nut on the outside to torque down and stay in place.
the locals suck then,lol. i've repaired tons and tons of them. easy to do.
emeraldcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #15
mrshaun

if your serial number starts with 11 then send it in and it will be covered.
also repair rates are only disounted to industrial customers. your dealer lost money by charging you that much.

Snap On ratchet repair tool SPP744
Holds the ball to the spring while installing new parts.

Old style track drawer removal tool 52638 ( remover)
thin little piece of metal used to release the latches on older snap on boxes.

Snap On Hard handles are back.
hard handle numbers thread:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...handle+numbers
If you have a ? email me, you will get a faster response than a PM.
mrshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
Ahsai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshaun View Post
if your serial number starts with 11 then send it in and it will be covered.
also repair rates are only disounted to industrial customers. your dealer lost money by charging you that much.
Ah, that would be nice and thanks for the info. I'll check my serial number tonight. Does "11" mean the tool was manufcatured in 2011?

The $127 and $140 rates were quoted to me as a retail customer. If all they do is replacing parts 4 and 5, I doubt anyone except me will lose money. But of course these are flat rates and they don't know what needs to be replaced until they open it up. They got to price in the possibility of gear/head replacement.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #17
4x4gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by I can fix anything View Post
Brand new = warranty
agreed that would be handed to the snap on rep next time I saw him, I spent something like $390 for my far72c so for that kind of money they would be fixing it. p.s. i can fix anything nice bubbles avatar
Old 08-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #18
billymade

I paid $30 for a broken one at a pawn shop; I shipped it out with snap-on and had it rebuilt. This is the: best, most powerful, enjoyable and easy to use air ratchet I have owned so far.... worlds away from the low end stuff you may have used in the past. My far25A and far7200 are some of my favorite air tools I have!

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #19
4x4gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymade View Post
I paid $30 for a broken one at a pawn shop; I shipped it out with snap-on and had it rebuilt. This is the: best, most powerful, enjoyable and easy to use air ratchet I have owned so far.... worlds away from the low end stuff you may have used in the past. My far25A and far7200 are some of my favorite air tools I have!
I had the far25 for a little while when I started out, It was nothing compared to my 72c but man for how old it was (but lightly used when I got ahold of it) it cranked, The reason I bought my far72c was because it was able to break the bolts on pretty much any split flange hydraulic fitting I put it on. Most impressive.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #20
billymade

I started with habour freight junk and a bluepoint 1/4" air ratchet... the 25/7200 are just in a different class; I'm glad I have them. I have had all the used snap-on air ratchets that I purchased used; rebuilt by snap-on... it seems many pawn shop air ratchets need repaired. Air ratchets of all the air tools I have; need serviced and repaired the most... its a matter of "when" not "if" they will need rebuilt. Once you get used to them; they really speed up work... if you work on things for a living; they really do make you money!

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote