Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
johnzcarz

Default Any Snap-on Modis users?

From time to time I see these pop up used for a reasonable (cough, cough, hack) price. Has anyone bought a used one? What has been your experience with it?

Iíve been told that unless itís current with itís software, Snap-on will require you to update it AND buy every year in between what you have and the latest. Is that true? At $1k per update I can see why people donít bother updating them and sell them as-is.

Does not having the latest version really stop you from using the unit Ė for instance, if the software covers up to Ď07 and you plug it into an Ď08 vehicle, does it just not work for that vehicle or is it that some new features aren't available?

What about the diagnostic help/reference feature Ė is that a subscription or something thatís part of the software?

Personality keys???? Is it a problem if they arenít included?
johnzcarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
spoolgarage

Default Re: Any Snap-on Modis users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzcarz View Post
From time to time I see these pop up used for a reasonable (cough, cough, hack) price. Has anyone bought a used one? What has been your experience with it?

Iíve been told that unless itís current with itís software, Snap-on will require you to update it AND buy every year in between what you have and the latest. Is that true? At $1k per update I can see why people donít bother updating them and sell them as-is.

Does not having the latest version really stop you from using the unit Ė for instance, if the software covers up to Ď07 and you plug it into an Ď08 vehicle, does it just not work for that vehicle or is it that some new features aren't available?

What about the diagnostic help/reference feature Ė is that a subscription or something thatís part of the software?

Personality keys???? Is it a problem if they arenít included?
Keys are expensive and needed. Software really isnt that important but to be honest it was around 9.0 that snap on started doing a good job on the software. Diagnostic troubleshooting is built in.
spoolgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-09-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
GrandmaSideways

Yup. I use one at my mechanic friend's shop. Keys are pricey.
GrandmaSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
GeorgiaHybrid

Keys will run around $300 if you don't have them (Domestic and Asian). As noted, the troubleshooter is built in and works fairly well in the later versions (10.4 and up).

Your Snap-on guy can get around some of the update costs if he is a good dealer....

You can use the Modis on a 2011 car with older software but you will be limited to reading generic codes and doing simple testing. The vehicle specific codes will not be in that software. An example of that would be Volvo. Until 11.2 came out, I could only read the generic OBD II codes. I can now read the Volvo specific codes and run 2-way tests on them.
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
asemastertech

ok dude heres the scoop. My shop bought a used modis for 2500 a few years back and it was the best thing we ever did. Yes we had it updated too for 900. It came with all the keys and every adapter and cord we need. We did add a low amp probe to use with the scope and thats the best 300 bucks ever spent. If someone told you that you are required to get it updated they are flat out wrong. Its your tool, you do whatever you want with it. I you wanted to look up a car newer than your update you can on the global obd 2 side. You can get codes and data but the tool will not be bi-directional with the vehicle. My suggestion is get the latest update as soon as you can. Also the scope on the module is suer easy to use and you can diagnose bad motors like fuel pumps and window motors with the low amp probe in about 10 minutes.
asemastertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
asemastertech

also the keys for the modis are the same as the mt2500 scanner. Most guys already have these and you can get them off ebay for a few dollars if need be.
asemastertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
johnzcarz

Thanks asemastertech.
johnzcarz is offline   Reply With Quote