Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #1
slickgt1

Default So I Come Home to Find My Garage Door Opened for 10 Hours

Nothing was stolen.

So I get home and see my garage door opened all the way up.

I am praying that my nanny is outside with my baby or something. Nope. Now I am getting tight. Go inside, check that all is ok, everything looks to be in place. Right away look for all the high dollar, small / easy to take items. Everything is in place. OK. Closed the garage door and let the nanny have it, not too harsh, as this person is taking care of my child.

Loaded up my cameras, and started going through the 1550 emails, with 6 pictures each. I live in NYC, so lots of foot traffic, and the camera managed to get every person walking by my house. This cam is inside the garage facing the main door. So when its open, it sees the street. So no one even came close to the garage. Even my neighbors passed by, looked, but no one came over or called me. Asked them last night, and all said that they though I was inside. I did not tell them that I wasn't.

I figure no one went in because people always see me working in there, and know that I might have been inside.

So I need some advise.
1. I want to get an active door closer thing. I have seen them before. But I would like it if you guys could recommend one that works really well with a liftmaster chain drive motor. I am willing to pay for the best out there. Something that has motion detection, and if no one is in for 15 min, to close the door by itself. Something that I can turn off if I need to.

2. Anything else you can suggest to make my garage security more active. My camera sends me email, but I made this one in particular stop nagging me all day long. Plus it would shoot an email to my phone when I am there, and that is just a ton of emails.

Thanks in advance.
slickgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
slickgt1

Default Re: So I Come Home to Find My Garage Door Opened for 10 Hours

Oh. After investigating all the cameras pics. It looks like the nanny came home after taking the baby outside, closed the garage, but as she was walking up the stairs, she must have pressed the remote button again, and the garage opened up 45 seconds after closing. It must have been an accident. She went pale when I told her about the door being left open. She knows how much $$$ is in there.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
petee_c

glad nothing was taken....

kinda spooky that u have camera's on at home.....

are u on camera at work?

P
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
Plump

Shoot, that's nothing. I went on a skiing trip for 5 days and left the garage door open. Nothing stolen, just a few frozen beers!
Plump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
porphyre
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickgt1 View Post
I figure no one went in because people always see me working in there, and know that I might have been inside.

So I need some advise.
2. Anything else you can suggest to make my garage security more active. My camera sends me email, but I made this one in particular stop nagging me all day long. Plus it would shoot an email to my phone when I am there, and that is just a ton of emails.

Thanks in advance.
Advice? Neighbors are your best defense.

You apparently work with your GD open often enough that they don't see it as strange. So, work with your GD closed. I work with my door closed, so my neighbors know if the door is open and a car or the trash bin isn't going in/out, something is probably wrong.

I have a balky closer and have twice had a neighbor close my door for me after it was left open as I drove off to work.

If you have a nanny home while you're away, if the interior access door is in a well traveled area, install an 18" square window in the door. Nanny walks by and will see sunlight streaming in and know the GD is open.
porphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
slickgt1

Cameras inside are motion activated and linked to alarm. When armed, they turn on, and will only email me when there is actual motion. When alarm is off. They do nothing unless I log in remotely to watch/check up on baby. I am a paranoid person. And when I hired the nanny, I made her aware of them.

For the $600 per week I pay her (cash), she better not mind the cameras.

Yea I would probably find and empty garage if I left it open for a week. I am sure that some neighbor would call me by that time though.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
slickgt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by porphyre View Post
Advice? Neighbors are your best defense.

You apparently work with your GD open often enough that they don't see it as strange. So, work with your GD closed. I work with my door closed, so my neighbors know if the door is open and a car or the trash bin isn't going in/out, something is probably wrong.

I have a balky closer and have twice had a neighbor close my door for me after it was left open as I drove off to work.

If you have a nanny home while you're away, if the interior access door is in a well traveled area, install an 18" square window in the door. Nanny walks by and will see sunlight streaming in and know the GD is open.
Yes I work with door open. I am not finished with the reno in there, so no cooling yet. In the city, so all the buildings are tight to each other, and it is always hot. I feel the heat come off the bricks and concrete, even at night. I would probably die if I kept the door closed, especially in this weather.

Garage is also under the house, so no way the nanny can see it from upstairs. I don't want to give her access to my cameras.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
BHR4CE1

Quote:
1. I want to get an active door closer thing. I have seen them before. But I would like it if you guys could recommend one that works really well with a liftmaster chain drive motor. I am willing to pay for the best out there. Something that has motion detection, and if no one is in for 15 min, to close the door by itself. Something that I can turn off if I need to.
I have this EXACT thing. I have mine set for 15 minutes, but it can be set for any amount of time. It is part of the CONTROL4 system. You can read more about it in my garage build below. I have a lift master unit as well.

My Garage Build Thread:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=96418

Installing the flush mount Bendpak lift (part 1)

http://s128.photobucket.com/user/swf...l?sort=6&o=268
BHR4CE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Interex

http://www.amazon.com/Garage-Butler-...3164571&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/XCELTRONIX-Gar...3164571&sr=8-1
Interex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
66HertzClone
Alliance Member

I have these at my house,

The garage has three doors and I have a shed with another roll up, is is pretty handy to have and works well.

Open door alarm

My Mustang

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts

I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake.

Home, home again, I like to be there when I can

Ignorance is bliss, but stupidity is orgasmic

Great thoughts overwhelm a feeble mind

Quote:
She does have a great rack...

-Raccoon-
66HertzClone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
Schtauffer

Lift Master's newest operators have an option to set a timer to close, as well as internet ready; you will be able to open/close your door and/or check to see if it is currently open of closed from a smart phone or other internet portal. Look for model # 8550. These are brand new, we have not received any yet.

Last edited by Schtauffer; 08-12-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Schtauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
Zeke

Jeez, with cameras that email you I can't imagine you not being able to close the door, turn on and off the lights, set the alarm and more.
Zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
gahrajmahal

Hadn't thought of an auto closer before. After reading the xceletronix specs (I like the disable button), I may have to get this.

What mom always told me when I wanted to give up.
gahrajmahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
slickgt1

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Yea I going to get something today. I am too nervous.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
jmauld

Quote:
Oh. After investigating all the cameras pics. It looks like the nanny came home after taking the baby outside, closed the garage, but as she was walking up the stairs, she must have pressed the remote button again, and the garage opened up 45 seconds after closing. It must have been an accident. She went pale when I told her about the door being left open. She knows how much $$$ is in there.
You might also check your sensor alignment, if you have those. Mine are mounted to the bottom of the track and they have been known to flex enough to get out of alignment.

It usually happens after my wife or child has bumped against the sensors with something.
jmauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #16
larryq

Must have been cold-sweat time when you saw the door open. I live in a city too, and it's a different vibe than the suburbs or in the countryside, where leaving the garage open all day isn't nearly as big a deal. (Not recommended of course.)

I don't live in NYC however, which is about the busiest place this could happen. Frankly I'm a little surprised nothing was swiped. Was this Manhattan proper or just outside the city limits? Glad nothing was gone, this may be your day to buy a Powerball ticket.
larryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #17
minhster

I might not have the same problem as you because I dont park in the garage which also means that I don't leave from the garage. But I never forget because I have a sliding deadbolt on each side of the door that I manually lock each time so it's hard for me to forget.
minhster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #18
petee_c

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Yea I going to get something today. I am too nervous.
Move to the burbs or a rural village....

get counselling....

and good insurance.....

(it all can be replaced)
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #19
P1et

I have several cameras inside my house (one watching the front, one watching the rear and one inside). I can monitor them all from my iPhone, streams live video.

Good thing: I can make sure my garage door is closed. Bad thing: if it's open, nothing much I can do about it but drive home and close it.
P1et is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #20
slickgt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryq View Post
Must have been cold-sweat time when you saw the door open. I live in a city too, and it's a different vibe than the suburbs or in the countryside, where leaving the garage open all day isn't nearly as big a deal. (Not recommended of course.)

I don't live in NYC however, which is about the busiest place this could happen. Frankly I'm a little surprised nothing was swiped. Was this Manhattan proper or just outside the city limits? Glad nothing was gone, this may be your day to buy a Powerball ticket.
Brooklyn. Right out of the city. I live 2 blocks from the train, and right off of one of the busiest streets. Buses, shops, park, everything right by me. I gotta say I am shocked nothing was taken. SHOCKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhster View Post
I might not have the same problem as you because I dont park in the garage which also means that I don't leave from the garage. But I never forget because I have a sliding deadbolt on each side of the door that I manually lock each time so it's hard for me to forget.
I never forget. I also never open my garage with remote. I use a key to enter my side alley door. I would have the nanny do that, but she carries the baby, and I don't want her to maneuver through the tight space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee_c View Post
Move to the burbs or a rural village....

get counselling....

and good insurance.....

(it all can be replaced)
Yea I know, still. I mean that is a lot of tools to replace. I went for my festool boxes right away. Once I saw those, I knew I was good. Then the drills. Then the air tools, then the hand tools. I still can't believe it is all there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmauld View Post
You might also check your sensor alignment, if you have those. Mine are mounted to the bottom of the track and they have been known to flex enough to get out of alignment.

It usually happens after my wife or child has bumped against the sensors with something.
I had this problem before. It is not that. I actually removed my sensors from the track and mounted them to the wall. Plus, according to the cam times, the door was actually closed for 45 seconds before opening again.

By the way, those craftsman key remotes, they have some serious range. I cannot believe how far away I can open my garage. I swear it has better range than my wifi. lol. The old remote I had used to only work when right by the door. This one I can be half a block away.