Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:53 PM   #1361
Riley

Default Re: Grunge Garage

Bill,

Let me say I admire your efforts and selflessness in sharing your situation with us all. It's been advised several times before and you probably don't need to hear it again but here ya go...

Get a 20 yrd dumpster dropped off and fill it up. When that one is done, get another one. Repeat until finished.

You'll be shocked that you can fill it to the top and it won't look like you've made much progress, that's OK. Make it a race to see how fast you can fill it. Some good stuff might get tossed, but does it really matter?

It will still represent not only real progress, but a real acceptance of the depth of your challenge.

http://www.google.com/search?q=detro...=hp&channel=np

Pick your favorite and go to town.

Good luck and best wishes. Back to lurk mode.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #1362
marty_p

Bill:

I'm praying for your success, Boss.

-Marty
> 2008 Kia Rondo LX (princess #1)
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #1363
bczygan

7 trash cans picked up today. Now it's time to fill them again!

Did my good deed for the week.
Lady 4 doors down moved after being broken into 6 times. She left lots of things in the house and garage. Leaves un-raked from the fall. Dozens of newspapers on the porch.
2 guys have been in there in the last few days and took the furnace and water heater. They strew things all over the front yard.
The owners want to protect the house and leave the lights on.
Told them I would help. I cleaned off the porch, trimmed the bushes so you can see inside, picked up leaves from the curb and gutter and raked piles in the driveway, removed the curtains so you can see what's going on and filled 2 trash cans for pick up today.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #1364
jeffmoss26

Sounds like more excuses for not getting your house cleaned out, but that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkling View Post
I really hope this guy drinks heavily then gets on this forum, otherwise, wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3baygarage View Post
Where is the LOCKJEFF MOSSTER of Cleveland?

Paging Jeff Moss.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #1365
bczygan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmoss26 View Post
Sounds like more excuses for not getting your house cleaned out, but that's just me.
Jeff,
I think you are right. It is sure more fun to work on the neighbors rather than my own. But it's not only that. It is also a way to feel good about myself by contributing to the community. A lot of this problem is depression. And depression brought on, and made even worse, by feelings of guilt about not doing what I should have in life, as a husband, and as a man. I need to feel like I am worthwhile as a person. Doing these neighborhood things gives me a quick hit of "I'm OK". But I realize that the only way to get the full and permanent feeling, is to be by fully facing and fully dealing with and overcoming this.
AFTER I got my Courvilles full, by doing a few days work at my house and yard, I did the work there. Now that the Courvilles are empty again, it's back to doing my stuff
Not every minute of my life is spent on this project. I actually do other things. Maybe too many other things and not enough work on the project. It's a balance I have to strike.
I am disappointed in myself for not throwing out the Courville full of disks. I will go out today and go through them and retrieve the ones that have personal data and trash the rest by dumping the trays out into the dumpster and throwing other trash on them.
I know there is enough stuff to fill the Courvilles again in the next few days. That is my next goal.
Gotta go. I want to work as long and as hard on my stuff as I did on the neighbors house, for the rest of the day. Maybe clean an entire room with photos!

Bill
Old 03-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #1366
Bronson

Bill, just clean one damn room and post pics......THAT will give You a real boost. Me too, You are wearing Me out, Buddy! Git 'er done!!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #1367
vartz04

so you are willing to help anyone who asks but not willing to ask for help yourself? Its gorgeous out, get it done.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #1368
Nighttrain

How much stuff did you take from that ladies house and bring home to yours?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #1369
fergus

So Bill, in total, how many trashcans full of "stuff" (things that you've been hoarding, not just regular trash) have you actually thrown out since this whole thing started?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #1370
klaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighttrain View Post
great question
Old 03-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #1371
burlybrute

Sounds like the furnace and hot water heater....
Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #1372
jjpp

Quote:
My first thought too.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #1373
bczygan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
So Bill, in total, how many trashcans full of "stuff" (things that you've been hoarding, not just regular trash) have you actually thrown out since this whole thing started?
Hard to estimate because much stuff was good until I left it in the yard to get rained on and ruined. Rough estimate is 1/3 normal household trash, 1/3 things that got ruined inside the house and 1/3 things that got ruined outside. Maybe 1/2 of the inside stuff wasn't ruined, but rather stuff I decided wasn't needed. Hardest thing is still to dispose of working items, even if I can't see a place for them. This is especially true when I see the resale shop price still on the item. It hurts enough when the item is ruined and I can remember what it was like when new. But the deciding factor is "CAN I SEE A PARTICULAR PLACE FOR IT AND A PARTICULAR USE FOR IT"! Even then, my space requirements are skewed in my head and I imagine that I can fit more in a space than I can. I have to keep picking away at things and eliminating them until the spaces are empty enough.

I just thought about what I said above and it's wrong. Picking away isn't getting it there. Shifting things around isn't working. Letting things get destroyed is too slow. I need to completely empty a room and only put back the appropriate things and dispose of everything else that was removed. I'm going to start with the dining room first as it's the simplest. Before pics coming tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burlybrute View Post
Sounds like the furnace and hot water heater....
Thanks for the chuckle. I really need to see the humor!

Quote:
Honestly, some rakes and shovels and a shoebox of fasteners and odds and ends including a caulk gun, some cleaning supplies, a saw and a grater.
Tools will be used to clean up that property and others in the neighborhood. I will give them to the neighborhood organization when finished with this house.

I learned 2 things while seeing these abandoned houses. First, it's amazing the trash people accumulate and then abandon (And boy, their junk is way better than mine, which means mine is REALLY junk and needs disposing of). And second, these houses, though small, really feel expansive when cleaned out. I'm going to have 20 times the space when I'm finished.

Last edited by bczygan; 03-16-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #1374
bczygan

Here are Dining Room before photos:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01401.JPG (115.7 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01402.JPG (101.9 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01403.JPG (116.2 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01405.JPG (75.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01406.JPG (101.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01407.JPG (101.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01408.JPG (112.5 KB, 132 views)
Old 03-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #1375
bczygan

And here are some Living Room before photos:
I can't get to and clean out the dining room without first cleaning out the living room. The kitchen will have to be done in conjunction with them as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01410.JPG (121.3 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01412.JPG (131.5 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01413.JPG (108.1 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01414.JPG (122.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01415.JPG (118.2 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01416.JPG (112.8 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01417.JPG (109.7 KB, 105 views)
Old 03-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #1376
fergus

Bill, I see about five things that are worth keeping amongst the 14 photos above. Honestly.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #1377
bczygan

If the mini fridge is on your list, take it off. It doesn't work (Won't cool down). I am in the middle of pulling things out of the living room. Mini fridge is outside. Porch is stacked full and 2 Courvilles are full. I expect to have much of the Living Room empty by this evening (Except refrigerator, file cabinet and tool cabinet). That will give me access to the Dining Room for tomorrow and Kitchen the next day.
Back to it.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #1378
JimVonBaden

I have not posted yet. Not because I haven't read it or do not have an opinion, but because everyone else have said all that needed to be said.

However, no offense, but those pictures show nothing but junk. IMHO, unless there are gold ingots in those boxes, I would call in the junk removal guys and have them haul it all out. At this point there is little left to save except maybe a few tools and appliances.

Good luck, this is one hell of a lot of work to fix, and sorting it, IMHO, will never work. Your natural inclination to keep things will disallow you from tossing them out.

Jim
Old 03-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #1379
fergus

Well, make that four things! Glad we're on the same page. Keep crackin at it.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #1380
Homerr

Bill,

I've been pouring over various threads here the last few days looking at great garages. I've spent the afternoon on and off going though this thread waiting for the "payoff" of real progress or even an empty garage. Out of exasperation I have ended up skipping ahead a few times so I have missed some posts.

I see that there has been attempts made, but this thread has me to the point that I feel like drinking beers as Holedgr did after visiting.

This is my first post here on GJ. I'd like to offer that you are putting too much effort in on the wrong front. You've quite wisely acknowledged fear as a huge factor in getting where you are now. I believe the squalor, and it is squalor, that you live in is beyond you fixing yourselves. Yes, you are making attempts - but grabbing items from the lady moving out down the street really shows that you have no power over this.

I'd suggest you and your wife each seeking out a counselor to work on the triggers that have caused this hoarding. Only when you become clear on these triggers and learn mechanisms to cope with them will you be able to really start cleaning.

And we'll know you're making progress when the excuses stop and a half-dozen of these have been filled and taken away:

And if this sounds harsh - I have all my own issues and triggers that I've spent the last 5 years working out and I know that it may take many voices to help get us on our path. Our issues are worlds apart in their nature but I can still see bits and pieces of similarity between us in the way you talk about fear and letting go. It does get better if you work on 'self' and leave the rearranging of the Titanic deck chairs be.

All the best to you.
Closed Thread