Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2007, 12:58 PM   #1
modela

Default Fireproofing Walls and Ceilings

I am setting up a welding station and would like to take precautions in fireproofing walls and ceiling. The outside walls are 2xl6 with 5/8" fire rated sheetrock. The ceiling is open 12" TGI with 1 1/8" decking over the top for the second floor storage. I have looked into some fireproof paint for the walls and ceiling and also have thought of putting 5/8" sheetrock above. Has anyone dealt with this problem?

thanks,

Jim
modela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
PhantomEB

Send a message via MSN to PhantomEB
Default Re: Fireproofing Walls and Ceilings

If its a designated area for welding and grinding etc, in my words, making sparkies, ever think about using corrugated steel to cover the walls/ceiling?
PhantomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
thefairlaneman
Banned

I agree that using metal around this area is the best.Its also a good practice to inspect the area after you finish for the night to insure there are not hot spots subject to start a fire.
thefairlaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
enginerd

How about welding screens?
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
5wndwcpe

Fiberglas Reinforced Panels (FRP's). They're used in the food service industry as a washable wall covering. As long as you don't take a torch to them, they should repel the sparks just fine.

In the beginning, the Patriot is a scarce man, a brave man, a hated man and scorned man. When his cause succeeds, however,the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.
5wndwcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
modela

Corrugated steel should be a great idea. Readily available too. I will also take a look at the FRP's.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 09-16-2007, 09:14 PM   #7
Truckguy

I got some metal shelf backing for free from work. It is 7 ft by 3 ft. I plan on adding a welding screen hung from the ceiling to keep sparks out of the rest of the shop.

Last edited by Truckguy; 04-29-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #8
ersatzs2

I am still intrigued by Magnesiacore. http://www.magnesiacore.com/ I asked my builder to get some samples but still haven't heard if they are in. But I'd like to use it for the entire interior once I'm ready to insulate and close it all in.

According to specs: -Non-combustible Class A Building Material - 3000PSI (20MpA)
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=217642

Ready to go racing? Formula Ford (F1600) highly developed, for sale:
http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53152

Collecting all things related to Mercer Motors of Trenton, NJ, 1909-1925. Automobiles, signs, stock certificates, tools, photos...
ersatzs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #9
Uncle Buck
Banned

I like the idea of using a metal skin to cover the walls too. When OSHA speaks to the issue of a two hour fire rated wall that means two layers of 5/8" sheetrock stacked one over the other. That was just an FYI, welding partitions could easily be made from conduit and cheap tarps.
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
modela

Has anyone used fireproof paint or an additive for latex paint?

Jim
Old 09-16-2007, 11:05 PM   #11
Franzę
Banned

Why not do it the time honored cost effective way? Spray the wood and other flamable surfaces with 2 or 3 coats of Sodium Silicate, and let that dry.
Then you can spray a coat of latex paint over that.

Unless you're a nutjob arsonist, welding really isn't much of an issue. A little housekeeping, and you have very little to worry about. Invest the savings in decent extinguishers.
Franzę is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:30 PM   #12
Uncle Buck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzę View Post
Why not do it the time honored cost effective way? Spray the wood and other flamable surfaces with 2 or 3 coats of Sodium Silicate, and let that dry.
Then you can spray a coat of latex paint over that.

Unless you're a nutjob arsonist, welding really isn't much of an issue. A little housekeeping, and you have very little to worry about. Invest the savings in decent extinguishers.
Best idea yet!
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #13
modela

Do you know the mixture rates for this? I have heard that Sodium Silicate is good way.

I may be a bit paranoid about this but I used to be in the stove/fireplace business and have seen a lot of things you would not think would happen. We recently had a restaurant burn due to spontaneous combustion of animal fats. We see a lot of wood mills go down in flames for things you wouldn't think would happen. Since my shop is adjacent to a retail establishment I am pretty cautious.

Jim
Old 09-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #14
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

Definitely pays to be cautious, but I think that housekeeping issues with flammable materials, sawdust, and other debris as well as proper storage of solvents and fuels would be a bigger concern than how flammable paint may be on fire-rated gyp board. Chances are low that a spark is going to be enough to start the paint on fire and if the paint catches, you probably have quite a few other things already burning at that point.
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
Franzę
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by modela View Post
Do you know the mixture rates for this? I have heard that Sodium Silicate is good way.

I may be a bit paranoid about this but I used to be in the stove/fireplace business and have seen a lot of things you would not think would happen. We recently had a restaurant burn due to spontaneous combustion of animal fats. We see a lot of wood mills go down in flames for things you wouldn't think would happen. Since my shop is adjacent to a retail establishment I am pretty cautious.

Jim
The superscientific dilution ratio- mix it into water until it floats an egg. If you get too saturated of a solution you loose some penetration value, and only have a surface coating.
My preference is to continue spraying the wood until the solution no longer penetrates into the wood. It works best by starting at a point on the wall, and working your way around the room. If a coat is allowed to fully dry, you are sort of screwed getting the next coat to hang.

Wood & strange things, well, there is the cumulative effect of constant exposure to temperature lower than the kindling point, such as tossing a crumpled electric blanket on the footboard of a bed. Seen that cook a house pretty well.
Spontaneous combustion of animal fat, I'd like to hear how the person who made that call justified the conclusion. Seems like there is too much water in animal fat for the reaction to occurr. Now, if the fat was in contact with pool chlorine, it could get interesting fairly quick.
Wood mills, are often a lot like grain storage. Fine dust explosions require very little to ignite them, and the combustion ratio of dust is very easy to acheive. Then there are those friendly folks who just toss a cigarette butt because they were born stupid and stayed that way.
Franzę is offline   Reply With Quote