Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
nnoble83

Default Over Garage Door Sheet Goods Storage

I am thinking about building some racks to store my sheet goods over the garage door, i was wondering if any of you guys had opinions on whether or not this is a good idea or if it will too much of a hassle to get too. I am quickly running out of floor and wall space especially since the wife is going to want to park in the garage this winter with the new baby. This is what i am considering building http://www.overallstorage.com/. Between benches, toolboxes, and woodworking equipment i am out of space and need some creative ideas to clean up. Thank you.
nnoble83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Jeff

Default Re: Over Garage Door Sheet Goods Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnoble83 View Post
I am thinking about building some racks to store my sheet goods over the garage door, i was wondering if any of you guys had opinions on whether or not this is a good idea or if it will too much of a hassle to get too. I am quickly running out of floor and wall space especially since the wife is going to want to park in the garage this winter with the new baby. This is what i am considering building http://www.overallstorage.com/. Between benches, toolboxes, and woodworking equipment i am out of space and need some creative ideas to clean up. Thank you.
I've often thought of using that space for sheet goods. I don't see any problems using that space, other than the door must be lowered to access the rack.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
mmhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I've often thought of using that space for sheet goods. I don't see any problems using that space, other than the door must be lowered to access the rack.
And you don't want it going up unexpectedly while you are.
mmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
nnoble83

my garage is deep enough that i will be able to access with the door either up or down i'm just a little concerned about handling drywall and 3/4 ply on a step ladder.
nnoble83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
dittle fart around

I'm liking this idea and I've got a bunch of free bee uni-strut. Used to work high voltage substation electrical stuff and we used uni-strut all the time. A chunk on the top across a couple of rafters, all thread down to another chunk and you're set.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
Zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnoble83 View Post
my garage is deep enough that i will be able to access with the door either up or down i'm just a little concerned about handling drywall and 3/4 ply on a step ladder.
Yeah, I see that as the major problem. Especially if the ply ins on the bottom of the stack.

I like my sheets to stand against a wall. I can slide out the one I need. But if you're out of wall space, that's gonna be tough.

So, can you think of a way to pull a hinged rack up there with pulleys so that when lowered you can pull a sheet out of the middle?
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
kbs2244

That is a good place.
But you are talking the wrong stuff to put there.

Sheets are just to clumsy and heavy to put over your head.

That is where my ladders, long handled pool stuff, stick type wood, etc go.
The individual pieces are light enough to handle.
(The ladders do go up one end at a time.)
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
camarotoolman
Banned

Probable need a helper to get much or then 1/4" ply up like that. Maybe stack it out back with some sheet metal over it to keep it dry. Buy an inclosed trailer or storage container they are cheap.
camarotoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:42 AM   #9
machine_punk

I'm getting ready to build similar storage, but just for my 16 foot aluminum angles, t's, rods, etc. I think the sheet material would be too awkward (I need the bottom sheet on the stack, so I have to remove them all).

HOWEVER, if you could come up with a pulley/winch system to raise and lower the floor, I think you have something there.

Just finished the new logo for The
Aerodrome Studio--my metalworking studio in a 2-car, attached garage, where I build artistic projects, inspired by aeroplanes

- The Aerodrome Studio
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=122188
- Blog:
http://TheAerodromeStudio.com/wordpress
-Twitter @Machine_Punk
machine_punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
73 Mustang Bill

I built this to hold my hurricane plywood panels. I haven't had to take them down since I built this several years ago, and doesn't look like I get to use them this weekend either.

I went up through the drywall ceiling, and nailed into the trusses at the bottom and the top pieces of the truss.

I have a couple window screens stored up there as well, for windows that I never open. If a hurricane is approaching, I take the screens out. They aren't going to stop anything from breaking the windows, and if the window is broken, I'd like to have aa screen that I can put back in to keep the bugs out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hurricane panel storage.jpg (136.6 KB, 173 views)
73 Mustang Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #11
bad_idea

i attached a shelf from the garage door track to the wall. i stole the idea from a board member, original owner of idea feel free to chime in for credit. i store boards up there. 2x4's etc. i also store my saw horses up there.

i also hung a cut table from the ceiling w/ some brackets. i screw the wood frame down to a pair of saw horses and use it to cut up plywood. also stole that idea from the board somewhere. find it much easier to clamp a guide to the plywood rather than try to wrestle it through a table saw.

i installed theses during this past winter and loved them for convenient storage. then summer hit and the door started being open all the time. it is kind of annoying having to shut the door every time i want a hunk of 2x4 or something. but better than tripping over the stuff when i dont need it.

i agree that the sheet goods should be stored leaning against the wall. if you can't dedicate the space permanently then consider building a narrow, wide cart to roll the sheet goods around on. shove the cart somewhere out of the way when you dont need it, roll it out to access your sheet goods when you do. building a good cart is on my list, in the meantime mine leans against the wall.
bad_idea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
JC23

Mine isn't over the door but it could be.

It's made of square, steel tubing. Lemme know if'n you want the details.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JC23 089.jpg (136.7 KB, 117 views)
JC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
4wd4ever

I think I saw a bench in Jack's that he has on a pulley system...don't see why that wouldn't work for storage too! I was thinking of stealing the idea for myself!
4wd4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #14
bad_idea

engrish
Old 02-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #15
35mm

Thumbs down Re: Over Garage Door Sheet Goods Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasschnell View Post
Hey gyus, i am just viewing you all conversation. why are you not opt storageo for storing your goods as there are various benefits of it.
I can show you why we have to go with storageo or you can also read it from here, http://storageo.com/Why-Storageo.php

Lets share your views regarding this idea.
Wow, that is exactly the solution I am looking for. I can box up my sheet goods and ship it to their warehouse. When I need them they will ship them back. What a great idea!

"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

Hunter S. Thompson
35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #16
cruzer75

JC23 -

How tall are your ceilings? I like the idea of storing stuff up top but would be concerned it would make the shop feel small and confined.

cruzer75
cruzer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #17
buzz4041

[QUOTE=cruzer75;2071826]JC23 -

How tall are your ceilings? I like the idea of storing stuff up top but would be concerned it would make the shop feel small and confined.

Feeling small and being small due to clutter is 2 different things. Get that stuff off the ground and reap the rewards of more space.
buzz4041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #18
bad_idea

I found (2) carts on CL for moving 8' folding tables for $50. They measure 26x72" base with removable side rails. The base is made of 2x2 1/2x3/16" angle iron, very stout. I am in process of cutting one down to 18x72" to fit where I want it. I plan on storing my sheet goods on that against the wall. When I need to get the sheet in the back I can wheel the cart out and get to it. I will post a pic when I get it done.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #19
hoho98925

This is my solution using unistrut, all-thread, all-thread anchors.

all-thread anchor

attach allthread anchors to ceiling supporting joists, rafters,or trusses
cut all-thread to desired length screw into anchors. install nut and washer at predetermined distance on all allthread measured from ceiling. install unistrut another nut and washer and tighten up.

It works very well and was cheep, there are different sizes of unistrut and allthread, i know the anchors come in 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" etc, so space your anchors according to the load you plan on it holding.

Last edited by hoho98925; 02-04-2012 at 05:27 PM.
hoho98925 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
gahrajmahal

I used some 1" dia. round tuning I had laying around. I drilled some holes in a 2 x 4 and stuck the tubes in the holes. The 2 x 4's are lag bolted to the ceiling framing. Originally it was just to store the screens for the french doors during the winter. But over time a bit of sheet goods and trim moulding has made its way up there too. It has been OK for 15 years, and we stomp around above it because the living space is above. The extension ladder is a 10 footer and is pretty heavy, but it has been very handy having it up and out of the way,

What mom always told me when I wanted to give up.
gahrajmahal is offline   Reply With Quote