Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
scott37300

Default One person brake pedal pumper

I was surfing the web tonight and came across this video on youtube.

Now I have a nice mityvac vacuum brake bleeder, http://www.tooltopia.com/mityvac-mv6835.aspx that works great and I really like. So I wouldn't ever have a "need" for one of these. BUT, I like pneumatic projects and I have most of the parts to make one of these. My last brake job was my cousin's car that the brake lines had rusted through. When I went to bleed the lines I couldn't get one line with the vacuum bleeder. The valve was clogged and I needed to have a helper pump the brakes in order to push the clog out since the vacuum couldn't suck it out. So I see a use for this thing since most of the time I work by myself.

So I went out to the garage to see if I had the main part, a small air cylinder with about six inches of travel. Pulled out my drawer of smaller air cylinders and see a perfect cylinder for the project.

IMG_20110824_164123.jpg

I'll save this one for a different project! Pretty sure we don't need 4240 ft/lbs of pressure to push the brake pedal down!

IMG_20110824_164213.jpg

Grabbed a few fittings.

IMG_20110824_164140.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to pick up some PVC, I'm not a big fan of PVC under pressure but I think it will be alright in this situation. I'm guessing it's not going to take to much PSI to push the pedal down.

For now I am just going to use a pressure regulator and a ball valve in order to use it since I have them laying around and will get one of those fancy valves they use in the video sometime. Will have to play around to see what PSI works best for pumping the pedal without being to much pressure for the PVC to snap.

I don't see much of a use for this thing but I have the parts laying around and I can see it coming in handy once in a while since I usually work alone and every once in a while I need a pedal pumper instead of the vacuum brake bleeder.
scott37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
dwm

Default Re: One person brake pedal pumper

For what it's worth, I've had no trouble using a pressure bleeder or speed bleeder valves on my own vehicles.
dwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
scott37300

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwm View Post
For what it's worth, I've had no trouble using a pressure bleeder or speed bleeder valves on my own vehicles.
Ya I have a vacuum bleeder that works great, this is mainly one of those "because I can projects" since I have the parts laying around.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
dwm

The flex and movement of the steering wheel in that video is slightly disturbing. The pedal depressors I've used (including the ones sold to the dealers) attach under the seat, not to the steering wheel. If I were going to do something like this today, I'd attach it to my fire extinguisher mount that's tucked under the front of my seat. When I'm bleeding my clutch, that's where I brace my fixed depressor.

Be careful with whatever you come up with. It would suck to wind up with something that lances some upholstery or just scars up the steering wheel. I would not use PVC for that very reason.

If you can live with the slowness, you could just use remote switches for a power seat. Or if you happen to own a car with seat settings per keyfob...
dwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
scott37300

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwm View Post
The flex and movement of the steering wheel in that video is slightly disturbing. The pedal depressors I've used (including the ones sold to the dealers) attach under the seat, not to the steering wheel. If I were going to do something like this today, I'd attach it to my fire extinguisher mount that's tucked under the front of my seat. When I'm bleeding my clutch, that's where I brace my fixed depressor.

Be careful with whatever you come up with. It would suck to wind up with something that lances some upholstery or just scars up the steering wheel. I would not use PVC for that very reason.

If you can live with the slowness, you could just use remote switches for a power seat. Or if you happen to own a car with seat settings per keyfob...
The flex also concerned me but I figure that the pressure isn't going to have to be real high in order to depress the brake pedal so I don't think it will snap the PVC or cause any damage to anything.

Remote switches for the seat won't really work unless you do it for every vehicle you need to bleed the brakes on.

I'm going to fab something up and try it out. I won't use it very much since but it will be nice for the rare time I need to pump the brakes and I am by myself. Plus I have all the parts besides the PVC which is pretty cheap so if it is a flop then I'm not out anything.

I'm pretty sure as long as a regulate the air pressure low enough the PVC should be fine. You don't need much pressure at all to lower the pedal when you open a bleeder screw. I'll start out at 20 PSI and go from there. I don't think that place would be selling these for 135 bucks if they had a high failure rate. But guess I"ll find out this weekend.