Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
The Dutchman

Default EZ RED quality level

What do people out there think of spline box wrenches, as opposed to 6 point box. I'm talking about the ability to not round off the hex, & also the ability to tackle fasteners with already rounded hexes. It's my understanding that the spline design is best.

Recently I've been searching for a set of long ratcheting double box wrenches, metric, spline. Very hard to find. I have so many wrenches with 15 degree open ends that it's ludicrous, to me, to get "combination" ratcheting box wrenches.

I just came across this:

http://www.tooltopia.com/e-z-red-nf6...n=shopping_r1&

What does anyone think of EzRed (or whoever makes their stuff), when it comes to hand iron? I would rather get Snap-On, or any brand of unimpeachable quality, but there seems to be nothing out there.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I work on cars & light trucks up to one ton.
The Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

Default Re: EZ RED quality level

The quality is great from my experience. EZ Red wrenches and other chrome tools are actually made by a Taiwan company named Kabo. Kabo made the G Pro series of ratcheting wrenches branded SK. They also make some products for cornwell (extra long ratcheting wrenches) and those extra long flex head ratcheting/ fixed boxed end Matco branded wrenches that many people like.
With EZ Red, you get an excellent tool at a decent price.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
The Dutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwrench View Post
The quality is great from my experience. EZ Red wrenches and other chrome tools are actually made by a Taiwan company named Kabo. Kabo made the G Pro series of ratcheting wrenches branded SK. They also make some products for cornwell (extra long ratcheting wrenches) and those extra long flex head ratcheting/ fixed boxed end Matco branded wrenches that many people like.
Thanks for your informative post, Fedwrench. I looked in the Matco catalog & found those extra long flex head ratcheting/ fixed boxed end wrenches. Man, are they long! I may just go with the Matco fixed double box (splined) long wrenches. I figure initially, in trying to remove any fastener, I'll already have a "fast" wrench setup. (Ratcheting box, air ratchet, etc, so no need for speed at the other end of a fixed box web.

Thanks for your info.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Hammer1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwrench View Post
Second this statement. The EZ RED tools do seem to be of good quality. My Snap-on dealer has been carrying a few of the items for a good while now to compiment the Blue Point line and they sell very well. I too came close to buying their longer box end ratcheting wrenches, but chose the Matco. They were just a cut above the EZ RED line, but if money is an object, go for it. My shop has 2 sets of them in it and NO one has utterd one complaint.
Hammer1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
smogtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutchman View Post
Thanks for your informative post, Fedwrench. I looked in the Matco catalog & found those extra long flex head ratcheting/ fixed boxed end wrenches. Man, are they long! I may just go with the Matco fixed double box (splined) long wrenches. I figure initially, in trying to remove any fastener, I'll already have a "fast" wrench setup. (Ratcheting box, air ratchet, etc, so no need for speed at the other end of a fixed box web.

Thanks for your info.
I was trying to find the double box spline non-ratcheting and was unable to see it on their website. you have a part #?
smogtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
bassbone52

I have a couple of their ratchets, the 1/4 and 3/8 long flex head, and could not be happier. They feel great in the hand, they have a soft grip handle, the finish is excellent, quick release button, nice flex action. Excellent value IMHO.
bassbone52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
csargents1546

I have their extendable 3/4 drive ratchet, feels good in the hands, chrome is very good, and for 80 dollars, can't beat it.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
The Dutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by smogtech View Post
I was trying to find the double box spline non-ratcheting and was unable to see it on their website. you have a part #?
http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/wr.../metric/#53072

The above is for metric set SRBZXL62T. This set includes every wrench of this type except for RBZXL2122. (21mm X 22mm)

OK, that's metric.

No sets for inch based wrenches of same configuration (zero deg, double box [spline], fixed). But individual wrenches are:

RBZXLSP810, RBZXLSP1214, RBZXLSP1618, RBZXLSP1820, RBZXLSP2224

Above #'s cover 1/4" - 3/4".
Old 09-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
lynam

Im gonna be picking these up very soon. They look 100% like the SK XL Ratcheting Wrenchs that got discontinued.

Anyone have close up pics of the SK wrenchs to compair?
There made by ATDtools heres the link i have seen them priced from 130$us and here in canada there about 180$.
http://atdtools.com/99650
lynam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
Racr350

Those look identical to the SK G Pro series. I found some for $114 from a website called ToolDesk.com. Reliable site? I think I'd rather get EZ RED's version (part # EZRRM6), but they're scarce and no one seems to have them in stock. Advanced Auto seems to have them but how can I be sure? I can get them online for $145 after their discount and I know they're reputable. Plus warranty would be easier to use. I just don't wanna get screwed over and order them, but when they arrive, be the newer version without the head that extends out a bit to grab fasteners. Suggestions?
Racr350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:05 AM   #11
Danglerb

I've been chewing this over as well, but I've never heard of ATDtools and their lifetime warranty says return to place of purchase, and all the sellers say 30 days or so on returns only.

More concern is why are the EZRed so hard to find? Is EZRed pulling back from "normal" retail to cater to the truck sellers?
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
I've been chewing this over as well, but I've never heard of ATDtools and their lifetime warranty says return to place of purchase, and all the sellers say 30 days or so on returns only.

More concern is why are the EZRed so hard to find? Is EZRed pulling back from "normal" retail to cater to the truck sellers?
I don't think EZ Red is pulling back. You can find EZ red at all of the online vendors like tooltopia, thetoolwarehouse.net, toolsource, and even at sears.com

Tool truck dealers may be their key market but, you can easily find them online.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
Danglerb

I'm finding EZ Red at most of the usual places, but not the full line.

I'm looking specifically for the EZRRM6 Metric double box flex deep drive spline ratcheting set, and not seeing it a lot of places, Tooltopia one of them that doesn't have it and has the ATDtools Platinum 99650 (which looks just like the old SK 99650 set). Advanced Auto Parts has the EZRRM6 set, but for $169.95, then last night I found the VISA coupon code that knocks $50 off, so ordering it from them maybe today.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #14
Danglerb

I emailed EZRED about these deep spline wrench sets and got this reply today, some distributor I guess.

"These are sold exclusively to ISN (Integrated Supply Network)."
Old 11-24-2011, 12:27 AM   #15
defy

If these are the same ones that snap on sell under bluepoint, they have a tendency to crack the ratchet mechanism at the skinniest point, my work mate has a set and has had 3 replaced so far, I know its fairly common as well cause I usually see a few replacement ones in the snap on truck when I go in.
defy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #16
Danglerb

Part of the appeal is the compact size, clearance is going to be an issue I think many times when this is the right wrench for the job. KTD version is a LOT beefier, but maybe too big to fit in situations the EZRed might be fine.

What size is breaking?