Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
t1snwbrdr12

Default how to hang a rod from floor joists to be used for clothes hanging

trying to find an alternative to the old clothes line that droops and is just dated...got the idea to hang a rod, such as a curtain rod, from the floor joists of the above floor of the house (this is in a basement laundry room which isn't finished with drywall). my question is, what are your ideas of hanging the rod? what immediately comes to mind is eyelets in the exposed joists, chain down to a bolt or something to secure it to the rod. i think instead of chain, a cable would look better, or even all-thread or something, but regardless, all looks a bit industrial for being inside a house. what alternatives can you guys think of? i need the rod to hang approximately four feet or so lower than the joists that i will be hanging it from. i'm sure 1x or 2x4s could be used as well, but i don't think that would look very good. any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
t1snwbrdr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Flathead Red

Default Re: how to hang a rod from floor joists to be used for clothes hanging

I think that what ever is functional fits as it is an unfinished basement.

Red
Old 09-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
koditten

Most home stores have pipe hanging brackets. They have a long u shape to them with the ends bent at a right angle so you can nail them into the sides of the joist. Once installed you just slide your choice of pipe. I used 1/2" thin wall (EMT) conduit. Cheap and works great. I seem to recall spending 4 bucks for 12 of them. I found mine in the plumbing section. Remember, no drilling holes in trusses or floor joists or, but you can nail into them.
koditten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
t1snwbrdr12

was thinking the same thing but don't mind spending some money for a better look because i've been improving it. the rest of the basement is actually finished but the laundry room isn't. with cables, do you need special tools to cut it to length? and do the ends (loops, eyelets, whatever is to be used) do they bolt on to the cable or will i need special cripming tools? i haven't worked with cable obviously...but any other ingenious ideas are appreciated.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
neonnblack

If you want it cheap, buy an 8 foot 2x4, cut it in half, drill holes the diam of the bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Pmech View Post
It's the equivalent of shooting a puppy in the face for crapping behind the couch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkk View Post
MAN! I'd powder that bitch up, run her around til she got all sweaty then I'd lick the sludge out of the cracks! HmmmmmHmmmmm....
neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
t1snwbrdr12

Quote:
Originally Posted by koditten View Post
Most home stores have pipe hanging brackets. They have a long u shape to them with the ends bent at a right angle so you can nail them into the sides of the joist. Once installed you just slide your choice of pipe. I used 1/2" thin wall (EMT) conduit. Cheap and works great. I seem to recall spending 4 bucks for 12 of them. I found mine in the plumbing section. Remember, no drilling holes in trusses or floor joists or, but you can nail into them.
i will check that out, sounds cost efficient (cheap) enough to forget about doing something nicer but spending more money.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
ev2mopar

Don't know if this helps but I put some large eyelets in the floor joists and slipped clothes line through, tied off in a clove hitch knot. 3 strings of this and there is more than enough room to dry our her stuff.
I bought clothes line at the food store for 3 bucks and I had the eyelets. I could have made a big production over crafting something amazing, but my wifes would have complained anyway and I'm kinda cheap.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
Aspen RT

If your tall enough to reach it ,( I'am), I used two of those rubber coated hooks used for hanging bicycles from the ceiling and a shower rod.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:22 AM   #9
t1snwbrdr12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen RT View Post
If your tall enough to reach it ,( I'am), I used two of those rubber coated hooks used for hanging bicycles from the ceiling and a shower rod.
i am, but the others who use it (will likely use it more than me) are not tall enough. i need it to drop down a few feet.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #10
kbs2244

Just be sure you get a big dehumidifier setting next to the sump pump hole.
And a window fan in the oppsite corner set on low and never turned off.
Otherwise you are asking for mold, mildew, and moss to be growing on those joists.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
70redbee

You can buy colored chain in many different colors at the box stores. If you want it to look nice use the colored chain and a pc. of emt with hooks in the joist and bolt it to the emt.
70redbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #12
tcianci

Send a message via AIM to tcianci

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs2244 View Post
Just be sure you get a big dehumidifier setting next to the sump pump hole.
And a window fan in the oppsite corner set on low and never turned off.
Otherwise you are asking for mold, mildew, and moss to be growing on those joists.
Apparently you're a wee bit too young to remember that nearly everyones clothes were dried on a line in the basement all winter long, every year for decades on end. No moss, which by the way is a plant and needs to have it's seeds deposited for it to be there in the first place, no mold and no mildew.

Everone's a moisture cop around here.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #13
70redbee

Moisture and mold cops are everywhere these days. I wonder how I got to be 60yrs old with all this bad stuff I have done and been around all my life. Come on guys give it a break. And by the way which is better snap on or harbor freight, osb or drywall?
70redbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #14
Shadowdog500

The old houses briethed a lot better so I don't think moisture was an issue. Some of these newer houses are so air tight that I assume the risk for mold would skyrocket.

I've seen pipes secured with chain or rope that comes down from the ceiling, through the pipe, then back up. Knots in the rope at the end of the pipe help.

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
kbs2244

Oh, I remember very well.
But, as you said, it was winter time and the RH was nil.
In summer the line was outside.
And as mentioned, the old houses breathed well.
When I moved into a 10 year house 11 years ago it took me 18 months to get the basement dry enough to paint the walls.
The dehumidfier ran all the time and I had 2 window fans going 24/7 to get the air to it.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote