Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Bulldog13

Default Jeep Liberty-Bumper cover/Plastic rivets?

Anybody ever swap out a bumper cover on a Jeep Liberty...the cover seems to be held on by all these plastic rivets...I guess they are throw aways because they doesn't seem to be a way to remove them.I bought a new bumper cover and figured I'd swap it myself...its like they made it difficult on purpose.
Bulldog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
jeepjunky

Default Re: Jeep Liberty-Bumper cover/Plastic rivets?

its been a long while sence I worked on the bumper. Seems to me that the rivits are disposable, buy new ones and I think there is a special tool to install them.
jeepjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
54FordPanel

There are lots of different styles of those plastic rivets. I keep a supply on hand, along with those plastic ribbed plugs that hold things together. I'm going to grab a couple packages at the auto parts store today. I replaced the water pump on my daughters Grand Cherokee last Saturday, and destroyed a couple taking off some plastic trim underneath. They did not want to come off in one re-usable piece.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
mrb

the plastic rivets are throwaway. Harbor freight sells a cheap tool for them, i bought it when doing work on a jeep that required removing the bumper cover. I used the HF plastic rivets too, not the best quality but it was a sunday and they were good enough.
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
fr0mastaj

If its anything like the ones I've dealt with, a 1/8" flathead screwdriver (or smaller) to pop the head up a bit and a push pin plier to pull the head out have been pretty successful in removing them without destroying it completely.

fr0mastaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
BigAl62

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0mastaj View Post
If its anything like the ones I've dealt with, a 1/8" flathead screwdriver (or smaller) to pop the head up a bit and a push pin plier to pull the head out have been pretty successful in removing them without destroying it completely.

No, they are like real rivets only plastic. One time use only. Chrysler is nuts about them. You need a specific plastic rivet gun and there are several sized rivets. I've done a few of those, but it's been a few years so I can't remember specifics. (I've done so many bumper covers they all run together after awhile)
Old 09-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
Bulldog13

Can you use a regular rivet gun or is the plastic one special? Fastenal sells one for like 65 bucks but it doesn't seem to be much different from a aluminum gun.I might have to take a run to HF....hopefully they sell a combo pack because Im not sure what size these rivets are...
Old 09-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
Dust

Send a message via AIM to Dust

They are called plastic rivets, or POM rivets, and yes, Chrysler loves them. The tool from Harbor Freight is exactly the same as the one sold off the trucks, just packaged differently. The rivets themselves are a bit cheap, and the OEM rivets supplied by the dealership work better than the Harbor Freight ones, but either one will work in a pinch. The HF rivets just tend to need an extra squeeze from the tool to set properly, and they leave a little stub, whereas the OEMs typically don't.

They also cost $2.99 per package, compared to $6 per piece from the dealer.
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #9
Shadowdog500

I get a razor under the head and cut them off.

You cant drill the hole out big enough on a regular rivet gun for it to work reliably. Believe me I tried. Ive been using small vise grips and an old flathead valvespring compressor tool to set those rivets.

Please post a link to the HF tool. I will buy one tomorrow.

Thanks,

Chris

[UPDATE]

Think I found it:

Is this the one you like for these rivets?

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 09-18-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
Bulldog13

Yep..works like a charm..bought the HF tool.It had a bunch of extra rivets too...I just snipped off the excess stem. Best 14 bucks I've spent in a while....the bumper cover itself was a PIA, both fender flares had to come off and I had to drill out the metal rivets attaching the 2 halves.Took about 2 hours total...looks great now..and wife is happy!