Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
byoungblood

Default Older Snap On ratchets not under warranty longer?

I called Snap On today about getting a rebuild kit for a GM-70 1/4" drive ratchet, and a rebuild kit/replacement (it is a bit beat up, apart from it skipping teeth) for a F-710-A 3/8" drive ratchet. Snap On told me that both of them weren't under warranty any longer, and I'd have to buy rebuild kits for both.

I know both of these ratchets date from the 40s/50s, but I thought they were supposed to be warrantied for life?
byoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
porphyre
Banned

Default Re: Older Snap On ratchets not under warranty longer?

Snap-on warranty depends on the truck dealer and/or the mood of the person you talk to on the phone.

In before someone chimes in that they mailed a broken 1940's ratchet into SO and were sent a $175 long, flex, comfort grip 80-tooth in return.
porphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Altec

I can kinda understand the 70. It is 80 freaking years old!

The 710 is almost 60, but there are a lot of them still in use.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Bruce Lancaster

Also, is that "G" the date code? If so it is WWII made for the government, and like the later "V" tools for military, not under normal sales terms. In fact, it could be considered "hot", unless you have the documentation from the surplus disposal people selling it to the surplus store guy in 1946...I hope the FBI isn't reading this!

Plomb is the new Snap On.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
earlthegoat2

G models are not warrantied I am told. They are not part of their normal customer sales but rather government contracts. So no warranty applies to them.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
byoungblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
Also, is that "G" the date code? If so it is WWII made for the government, and like the later "V" tools for military, not under normal sales terms. In fact, it could be considered "hot", unless you have the documentation from the surplus disposal people selling it to the surplus store guy in 1946...I hope the FBI isn't reading this!
Yup, the GM-70 is a "G" code tool. It was part of my grandfather's tool collection, not really sure how he came about it, although he was in the military from 46-48, and also obtained a few pieces Plomb Wright Field stuff that I have in my posession as well. It wouldn't surprise me if he bought it during his time in the Army, though I doubt he would recall how he aqcuired it today since he's nearly 84.

OK, so that explains the GM-70, but still a little curious about the F-710. Maybe I'll just send it in and see what happens. Worst case I'm out shipping.
byoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
tool-nut

The GM-70 indicated when Snap on first started making 1/4" ratchets from their previous M-70 9/32" drive. This later switched to the more familiar TM-70 naming. There were GM-70's produced during the war with both E and G stamps, which are not under warrenty, but the stamps were usually isolated and not part of the model name on the ratchets.
tool-nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
JCShiels

The moderators suggested that I finally post something instead of just hanging around and this thread is interesting to me so here goes. (if there is a place to do an introduction I missed it somehow) Anyway, in the past SnapOn has gone way beyond what you would expect to help me. My late father gave me an old SO 3/8" ratchet with a missing reverse lever etc. (the date code is 1937) I found a local dealer in his truck and asked if I could purchase the replacement parts I needed. He got me the parts and repaired it for free! Another time I found a SO 1/4" ratchet in a junk box at a yard sale (1.00$!) again I found a dealer to get parts for it but he just took it and handed me a brand new one. I can understand if they have some kind of limitations but it sounds like the dealers have some latitude in what they cover under warranty. By the way this is a great site; thanks to Ryan for this and the Jalopy Journal where I hang around also.
Jim Shiels
JCShiels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
ndoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
I can kinda understand the 70. It is 80 freaking years old!

The 710 is almost 60, but there are a lot of them still in use.
hey I started buying tools in 1972 and I am still only 52 so less of the old - LOL. BTW I can still run 10km every day in under 50 minutes.

I have a 3/8 snap on F-71-C ade in Canada ratchet that belonged to my dad. About 10 years ago I needed it was slipping and i wanted it rebuilt which was a struggle because of its age and I did not want a replacement. The guy on the truck took it away for a couple of weeks until he could find a kit that would work in it. I still use it even though I have a number of other 3/8 ratchets. If I remember correctly from the date emblem this one was made in the late 40s early 50s.

Last edited by ndoran; 09-13-2011 at 06:49 PM.
ndoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
chadster1

The repair kit for the 1/4 drive ratchet is RKRA930A. The 3/8 drive kit is RKRA380

Check out my thread in the classifieds for some great deals on some Genius Tool sets.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=254801
chadster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #11
FrankieD

Not totally on topic but here goes. In the seventies when I first became a professional mechanic.I had a couple of Snap On ratchets that needed repair. My truck man would only "sell" me an exchange ratchet with the letter E stamped on each. This meant that they would not warrantee any future damaged ratchets. I never bought another Snap On tool after that.
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
NinetyTwoFifty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
Not totally on topic but here goes. In the seventies when I first became a professional mechanic.I had a couple of Snap On ratchets that needed repair. My truck man would only "sell" me an exchange ratchet with the letter E stamped on each. This meant that they would not warrantee any future damaged ratchets. I never bought another Snap On tool after that.
So that's what the "E" means on all those ratchets I've seen!
NinetyTwoFifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
Buckgnarly

Damn, I think it's great they even support a ratchet that old!
Buckgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
poprockcrusher
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
you showed them
poprockcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #15
toolnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckgnarly View Post
Damn, I think it's great they even support a ratchet that old!
That is impressive since other tool manufacturers have come and gone and tools have been rendered useless with no replacement parts. Hope Snapon continues this far into the future!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #16
snapmom

There are two meanings to a "E" in the war tools its a 1944 date code. If like 60s or so, some rats were refurbished at the factory and have a E stamped on the handle.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #17
Wrenches of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapmom View Post
There are two meanings to a "E" in the war tools its a 1944 date code. If like 60s or so, some rats were refurbished at the factory and have a E stamped on the handle.
I've still got one or two F720x/F730x ratchets that my SO dealer swapped out to me back in the 1980's for ones that I toasted.

It/They have an E stamped on the top of the handle just below the model number. I seem to remember having one that had two E's stamped on it.

These were "Exchange" ratchets that were swapped for warranty problems of one type or another and were supposedly "factory rebuilt" rather than dealer rebuild. The looked brand new when I got them. I'm pretty sure that they had been re-chromed.

I do have a WWII vintage 1/4 inch drive SO Midget ratchet, with an oil hole in the head, that has an E stamped on it, but it stood for "Emergency" and was a Govt contracted item. It has no warranty. I bought a kit to put in it years back. It had a steel selector lever if I remember right. One of my father's friends gave it to me back when I was a kid. It's around here somewhere, I haven't seen it in a while though.

WoD

Last edited by Wrenches of Death; 09-13-2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: I found one of the exchange ratchets and corrected the location of the E. It's a model F720, made in 1984.
Wrenches of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #18
RKSpeed

Any good Snap-On truck dealer will rebuild those ratchets. I brought mine a 71-15 1/2" ratchet from the late 30s and he rebuilt it with a big smile on his face....said it was the oldest ratchet he had ever done.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:31 AM   #19
treasureseeker

I have asked Snap-on when I called them for warranty if they wanted the current part number of the item which they said yes. I wonder how that would work with your F-710-A.
treasureseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:42 AM   #20
ngk22r

GM-70 has nothing to do with the date code, the G in GM is in reference to government issue. You really are not meant to have the ratchet since it was for government use, though now alot of us do. Government issued tools have NO warranty to you the normal consumer because you were not meant to have it.
Originally Posted by Kirbot View Post
Sometimes I will open my toolbox find things nearly dripping wet.
That's in anticipation of being used ;)
ngk22r is offline   Reply With Quote