Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
regulartom

Default garage slopes wrong way

Hi All,
I'm a new member here. I have a five year old, apparently poorly built condo in chicago. Each winter my garage gets filled with melting snow/rain because the slope is from the overhead door to the back.
There is a good inch or two of slope that I would like to reverse so it slopes out the overhead door. The concrete is in fine condition (no cracks or divots). Would a coating be a viable option for this, or do I have to break up and put new concrete. I'm worried that 1 - 2 inches is too thick for an epoxy or other such compound coating. But I'm also worried that pouring cement on the current will just crack at some point.
My garage is tiny. 9'x18'
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
regulartom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
luvit

Default Re: garage slopes wrong way

hey, my father outlaw had a terribly unlevel floor.
a friend of his mixed a bunch of different sands together and used it to level the floor.. it dried like porous concrete, (i think)
then he laid down tile squares.
10 years later, still good as new.

if you don't mind doing the leg-work, find out what the formula is for that leveler solution.
luvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
mball

Hello,

I suffer from the same problem in my garage. If you search the threads, there is some discussion on this issue. One of the guys who was an experienced tilesetter suggested a product form a company called Mapei. He said it was an outstanding product that would not come up over time and would be a solution. Here is their link. www.mapei.com/US-EN/ If you go to the contact tab on top, you can ask them what they would recommend. I am waiting until I install my tile before I do it to my floor. Let us know how it goes. Are you putting down a floor on top of it once you repair the negative grade?

Best of luck!
mball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
metalhead212121

subscribing.... I put down a new floor in my 2 car garage a good # of years ago. I pounded up the old floor with a few friends and ended up having a new floor poured that was at least 5 inches thick. I'm not exactly thrilled with the end result because the floor isnt 100% level. One side is higher than the other. I can tell because when the garage door is closed you can see it doesn't sit 100% flush.

Dan
metalhead212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
dittle fart around

Tile setters do this all the time just not on such a large scale. Snap some lines on the walls and start building it up with a dry mortar mix. Split the floor down the middle then you can use the center screed the floor.

<a href=http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=1347&pictureid=41691 target=_blank>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/p...ictureid=41691</a>
dittle fart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
EpicCowlick

Half of my garage slopes the wrong way as well. It's not a problem other than the snow and ice from the cars melts and collects in certain low spots. Rather than re-layering the entire floor, I just cut some 3 inch drains at those places and the water runs right under the slab. It's not much water as I am not washing the car in there or anything. It's just the incidental run-off from the cars. I suffered with wet, messy garage floors for several years until I rented the hole cutter from Home Depot and solved the problem. I used a plastic drain to cover the hole. Problem solved.
EpicCowlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
AlphaGarage

We have an epoxy binder that you add with sand to level out floors like yours. It's self priming and adheres real well, and it's very, very strong - much more so that the original concrete, so it won't delaminate in a few years. It's used a lot for loading docks and other high traffic areas. Only downside is that it's not an inexpensive product. How large is the area you're dealing with?

The "hole" method sounds okay, as long as there's minimal run off. If you have too much water draining under the slab I'd be very concerned about erosion, that could mess up not only the garage floor, but the foundation, driveway, etc.
Fred@AlphaGarage.com 877-333-GARAGE (4272)

<br><br>
AlphaGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
slickgt1

Had same issue. Well almost. Except my water would go around perimeter of garage.

Post 3 shows you what the deal it. I had my tile guy friend help me. No way you can carry mix and dump so much concrete by yourself. Well maybe. This is sand and cement mix. We mixed about 6-7 bags of sand to one cement. Don't make it wet, this is a drypack process. Consistency should be that of, lets say a chopped up brownie.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=90047

Trowel thinset on your floor, dump the above mix, compact it, level, screed, thinset over it, (back butter the tile), set tile.

I've had it for almost a year now. Search for my "Can your floor do this" thread if you want to see the durability thus far. I should update it.
slickgt1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compound, concrete, level, slope