Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Lighting & Electrical

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
The_Tango

Default 8' T5HO fixtures at HomeDepo - Anyone using them

Stopped by HD and saw a 8' T5 HighOutput fixture they started carrying. Talk about bright! $70 without bulbs - I may have to rethink my lighting solution. I was going to use 16 4' 2-bulb fixtures these put the T8 to shame. The sales person said that they could be mounted directly to ceiling (don't know if this is correct or not.

Anyone using them - Couldn't find much about them on the web.

TZR 254T5HO

Last edited by The_Tango; 09-21-2011 at 04:13 PM.
The_Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:06 AM   #2
williaty

Default Re: 8' T5HO fixtures at HomeDepo - Anyone using them

Unfortunately, the T5 fixtures are only a little bit brighter and more efficient than T8 yet cost a WHOLE lot more. So you never make it back in terms of ROI. Additionally, T5 is optimized for higher operating temperatures than T8 since T5 was initially developed for under-cabinet and other confined-space lighting. This means that they de-rate HARD in cooler temps. I don't have the de-rating chart at hand, but it's something like they're 15% dimmer than T8 at 70F and below and something like 50% dimmer than T8 by 50F. At 90F, the T5 is just barely slightly brighter than T8 and will have a much longer survival time at that temperature. All that assumes equal length bulbs.

Anyway, I'm sure you can find the chart if you really want to but the overall take-away is that the sweet spot for garage and basement and shop lighting right now is T8.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-22-2011, 04:11 AM   #3
StaggeringGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaty View Post
but the overall take-away is that the sweet spot for garage and basement and shop lighting right now is T8.
I agree, for the price. If money is no object, then yeah...T5s everywhere.

4' T8 is about 2900 lumens
4' T5HO is about 5000 lumens

That means if you have two T8s for every one T5HO, the T8s will be brighter, and cheaper. T5HO stuff is more than twice as expensive as T8s, so you can afford more of the T8s.

Also, the T5HOs aren't really any more efficient than T8s. T8 = 90 lumens/watt, T5HO = 92 lumens/watt.
StaggeringGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
williaty

You're not comparing apples to apples. Compare a T8 to a T5 and then a T8HO to a T5HO.

You're comparing a 1.8L NA to a 3.0L turbo there.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #5
StaggeringGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by williaty View Post
You're not comparing apples to apples. Compare a T8 to a T5 and then a T8HO to a T5HO.

You're comparing a 1.8L NA to a 3.0L turbo there.
The point is that a two strip T8 fixture puts out more light per foot than a single bulb T5HO and they have similar efficiency. It's cheaper to use more T8s that to use T5HO currently for the same number of total lumens.

I suppose if for some reason you need to limit the number of fixtures T5HO could be better, but it's a lot more expensive. If a bulb or a ballast gives out it's going to cost more to replace.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:11 AM   #6
StaggeringGoat

Is this the fixture you're talking about?
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lithoni...re-207152.html

Be careful, the model number makes it sound like a 54 watt T5HO, but the description says it uses 28 watt T5s. Maybe a typo, I don't know.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:29 AM   #7
williaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggeringGoat View Post
The point is that a two strip T8 fixture puts out more light per foot than a single bulb T5HO and they have similar efficiency. It's cheaper to use more T8s that to use T5HO currently for the same number of total lumens.

I suppose if for some reason you need to limit the number of fixtures T5HO could be better, but it's a lot more expensive. If a bulb or a ballast gives out it's going to cost more to replace.
Correct, and that was actually part of my initial rebuttal to the original poster.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:12 AM   #8
54FordPanel

I've always thought 8' lights would be a pain to replace. I have a hard enough time getting 4' lights to line up and rotate in. Just for that reason alone, I stay away from the 8' fixtures.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
The_Tango

The 8' T8 at HD is $60
The 8' T5HO at HD is $70
So cost is not a big difference - Go look at the two in person. The T5HO on the wall next to the T8 huge difference in light output. Yes - http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lithoni...re-207152.html are the ones I'm talking about.

"I've always thought 8' lights would be a pain to replace" - Uses 4 - 4' bulbs.

I am going back and check out the 54w/32w you stated.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
dave67fd

Scrap all that crap and go with these.

http://www.contractorlighting.com/8f...277-p-176.html
Old 09-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
BigJohn20

Whatever you do, make sure the ballasts are dual-rated for 120v/277v.

The reason I say this is generally the dual-rated 120/277v are commercial/industrial ballasts, and as such, tend to last considerably longer and perform better than the generic 120v residential ballasts.

Personally, I'm a fan of T8 fixtures for residential. Low cost, easy availability, good performance, and available in a multitude of configurations. The lamps are also considerably cheaper than T5s and availability of different lamps for the T8s is much greater (color temperature, CRI, lumens, life expectancy).
BigJohn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
DeuceDude

I have been using them for about three weeks. HD didn't have the HO bulbs or the display up. Bought them anyway. My thought so far;
Very Very Bright !!!
Very Light and compact in size; hung the 8ft fixture by myself
Seems to be High Quality ballast, dual-rated 120/277
Wouldn't think twice about ceiling mounted
Wouldn't mind if my other lights went so I could fit entire garage with these!
$70 fixture
$38 Bulbs
Worth every penny!
DeuceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
The_Tango

This is the ballast:

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/625...4X54T5HOU.html
Old 09-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #14
williaty

Just keep in mind you guys are all going to be screwed by your T5s as the weather turns colder. Look up the temperature de-rating curves for them.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #15
Charles (in GA)

HERE is the spec sheet that covers this fixture

The specs Home Depot gives are apparently wrong, as the model they list..............

TZR 2 54T5HO MVOLT 1/4 GEB10PS

Uses the 54 watt T5 High Output bulbs rated at 4450 lumens per lamp. This particular unit has a multi-voltage ballast (120-277v, 50/60 Hz) and they may be surface mounted per the brochure.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
Charles (in GA)

I have two 8ft T12 fixtures over my wooden workbenches, I may have to look at replacing them with these.

I have the fixtures mounted on 3/4 conduit formed in an inverted J and mounted to the workbenches them selves, you move the benches, the lights go with them. Operated by pull chain switches in the ends of the fixtures.

I know, the mounting is not code and improper use of conduit, but it has held up for many years now (one of them, about 30+ years, the other about 10 or 12 years.)

Charles
Old 09-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #17
MN4x4

There is one point about T5's vs either T12 or T8 fixtures that I haven't seen mentioned. Both the T12 and T8's fluoresce at 60 Hz, which causes them to flicker. For many people this is not an issue, but in others it can cause intense headaches and other side effects.

T5's fluoresce at many thousands of Hz, so do not have that side effect. They can be much more comfortable to work under and, as stated above, MAN are they bright!!!!

If your shop is heated or doesn't get cold, I strongly recommend the T5's.

I have 'diesel disease'. Actually, I not only have it, I am a carrier - I infect others.
MN4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #18
williaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN4x4 View Post
If your shop is heated or doesn't get cold, I strongly recommend the T5's.
Just "heated" isn't enough. Here are the thermal de-rating curves for a typical T5 and T8 lamp:

As you can see, at 70F, which would be the highest most people heat their shops to, the T5 bulb has already dropped to 75% of rated output and is more than 20% dimmer than a T8. If you come out on a colder day or set your shop thermostat to a more economical 50F while you're not working in the shop, that causes the T5s to drop to 40% of their rated output and be 35% dimmer than a T8.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #19
Charles (in GA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54FordPanel View Post
I've always thought 8' lights would be a pain to replace. I have a hard enough time getting 4' lights to line up and rotate in. Just for that reason alone, I stay away from the 8' fixtures.
It uses four each 4 ft bulbs in pairs, end to end. No 8 ft bulbs in this fixture. The T5 bulbs are somewhat different length from T8 and T12's, so the entire fixture is 92" long while a two bulb T12 with 8 ft bulbs is 96".

I looked a these this evening in HD. They had the fixtures, but not the bulbs, DUH! which is basically what the lady said when I asked about bulbs, she had seen several people load up the fixture on a cart, discover they didn't have any bulbs, so they went back and unloaded the fixture and left.

These are indeed T5HO 54 watt bulb units, multi volt, 120-277

Charles
Old 09-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #20
Charles (in GA)

Note that the temps given in the chart above, ARE NOT AMBIENT room temps, but rather, are BULB TEMPS. Thus an exposed bulb will not perform as well as a enclosed bulb, in cold weather.......... since the bulb will radiate more heat and more easily in the cold, however, the bulb will still come up to near operating temps and most likely produce near max light output.

HERE is one explanation of this.

You might READ thru this also.

Basically, a T5 runs hotter, as it has less surface area to radiate heat, and even in cold ambient temps, will run hotter than a T8 due to this. Does it lose efficiency? Yes, how much? probably not much more than a T8 when all is said and done.

It will be interesting to see how the T5HO lamps at work perform in the cold. The aircraft hangar I work in is illuminated with a couple thousand fixtures with 8 each 54 watt T5HO bulbs. They are mounted about 100 ft off the floor, and in the winter, while the building is heated, its none too good, given that doors are sometimes left open, or cannot be closed due to airplanes being half in, half out, and such.

My old T12 8 ft lamps over the workbenches are getting dimmer, last winter, in the cold, you could see the "waves" of light run down the bulb, they never would come up to temp and full brilliance. They hum and the bulbs are starting to darken on the ends. I will be removing these and donating them to a Habitat ReStore and installing the T5HO fixtures, This winter, my shop will have heat also, but as I age, I need more light, and this will be the ideal thing to improve the lighting on the workbenches (if I can just get them cleared off).

Charles

Last edited by Charles (in GA); 09-22-2011 at 10:16 PM.