Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
mondc

Default no wrap over sheathing on new garage

I had a garage built recently and took pictures during the process and noticed that no wrap was put on the garage before installing the vinyl siding. Is this normal? This a small garage 16 x 20. I also opted for no gutters but there is a 12 inch overhang around the garage. Should I have gutters?
mondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Will67

Default Re: no wrap over sheathing on new garage

I would say not having some type of house wrap is not normal, it might depend on your area and climate. I'm in California central valley and pretty much every home I have seen build out here since 1988 or so has had some form of house wrap (tyvek or 15#felt).

Yep I would recommend gutters
Will67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
dirttracker18

It is code here. Did you have a permit and get the inspection?

I like gutters, you can direct the water away from the foundation instead of it creating a drip dip in the ground and/or running back to the garage.

www.LauraMyersPhotography.com
dirttracker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
csp

If it's a detached garage and not going to be a conditioned space (heated/cooled), then no wrap is really a requirement, IMO. Housewrap is to control air infiltration and any water that might get past the siding. A detached garage that the builder assumes is for parking cars in doesn't really need air infiltration to be minimized.

Last edited by csp; 09-22-2011 at 12:48 PM.
csp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Falcon67

Last shop I built I did not use any wrap. Not really an issue in this climate, can go either way.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
mondc

I did check with my local building code department and they said that the wrap is not required for a garage with unconditioned space.
mondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
tcianci

Send a message via AIM to tcianci

Like others said, it depends on whether or not the space is conditioned. If you're siding is vinyl you need a wrap to protect the sheathing from water and Tyvek won't do that for you. Felt would be best. Also there are new wall sheathng panels that do not require a wrap, they are pre coated at the factory and then a tape engineered especially for the panel is used on the joints.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Gary S

Wrap isn't a code requirement for detatched garages here either, and it isn't a problem even in cold weather. When the sheathing is properly installed, there will be no cracks for air to get through.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
dirttracker18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
Wrap isn't a code requirement for detatched garages here either, and it isn't a problem even in cold weather. When the sheathing is properly installed, there will be no cracks for air to get through.
The wrap is not to stop air infiltration it is to stop moisture from reaching the sheathing if it gets under the siding (or whatever the covering is). In a cold climate area the outside walls need to breath so impermeable wrap is not used.

BTW - Post # 1000

Old 09-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
mpraddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcianci View Post
Like others said, it depends on whether or not the space is conditioned. If you're siding is vinyl you need a wrap to protect the sheathing from water and Tyvek won't do that for you. Felt would be best. Also there are new wall sheathng panels that do not require a wrap, they are pre coated at the factory and then a tape engineered especially for the panel is used on the joints.
Why do you say that? Tyvek is intended for use as a water barrier and it works very well in that capacity under vinyl siding. It is not a vapor barrier.

I agree that you need some type of wrap under vinyl siding, as it is not a sealed system on its own.

my garage build
http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7600
mpraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
K'ledgeBldr

DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap® helps protect a home against damaging wind and rain that can penetrate through the exterior cladding.
The unique nonwoven structure of DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap® blocks excess water from entering into walls.
The breathable structure of this house wrap allows moisture vapor to pass through to help promote drying in wall systems which can aid in preventing the growth of mold and mildew.
The unique non-woven fiber structure of DuPont™ Tyvek® HomeWrap® stops air movement through the walls helping to provide a more energy efficient home.

Taken directly from Dupont's website-
Remember the difference between "housewrap" and "vapor barrier"- as mpr said.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
NitroPress

There's also a difference between "water barrier" and "vapor barrier" - most wraps I'm familiar with will block water large enough to be a droplet but permit vapor to pass.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #13
jake26

If there is no exterior wrap, is it then necessary to have a vapor barrier on the inside of the walls if they are to be finished (ie: insulated and drywalled)?
jake26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #14
camarotoolman
Banned

Tyvel is water proof, I use it for tarps. Also it makes a great termit barrier.
camarotoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #15
dirttracker18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake26 View Post
If there is no exterior wrap, is it then necessary to have a vapor barrier on the inside of the walls if they are to be finished (ie: insulated and drywalled)?
No you need a vapor barrier when finishing regardless of exterior finish but that varies by climate area.

To the OP, are you saying you NEVER plan to heat this space, ever? This is one of those things that is hard to go back and change later. You may not require it for an unconditioned space but I still would have done it. It is relatively cheap to guy and easy to put up. Also a good layer of insurance on your exterior sheathing.

I am not sure why having the space conditioned or not would make a difference in whether it is needed. No logic there since it is to stop moisture from reaching the sheathing from the outside??

Old 09-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #16
5lima30

IMHO I would demand that something like Tyvek (there are several other brands) be installed under the vinyl siding to minimize water infiltration into the sheathing PRIOR to paying for the job. For that size building the cost savings (less than $100.00) does not justify not using house wrap. If water gets past the vinyl, which it will sooner or later, you can plan on the bottom 12"-18" of the sheathing being rotted in 7 years or so. YMMV.
5lima30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #17
Kevin54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lima30 View Post
IMHO I would demand that something like Tyvek (there are several other brands) be installed under the vinyl siding to minimize water infiltration into the sheathing PRIOR to paying for the job. For that size building the cost savings (less than $100.00) does not justify not using house wrap. If water gets past the vinyl, which it will sooner or later, you can plan on the bottom 12"-18" of the sheathing being rotted in 7 years or so. YMMV.
If vinyl is installed correctly you won't get water in behind it. Why would it?

I've seen homes that were vinyl sided years ago with no Tyvek or any type of moisture barrier and the OSB looked as good as the day it was installed.

I never put an wrap on my garage when built and have not had any problems at all and my garage is maybe 10 years old now.
Kevin54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #18
tcianci

Send a message via AIM to tcianci

Woah, here we go again! It was great to see the information taken from the Tyvek website. The only thing you're all missing is that where there's liquid water, there's water vapor. PERIOD. Laws of physics, gentlemen. You get water back there, sometime later the water has "dried up". Can you say 'phase change" it simply doesn't disappear, it goes from a liquid to a vapor and where the vapor goes is dependent on on about 2 zillion variables, most of which will bite you in the ass over time. You can all probably search my posts and the endless shit I took for my distaste of Tyvek and other spunbonded olefin house wraps. Let it suffice to say I have made plenty of good weeks pay ripping out rotted sheathing, punky studs and soaked insulation,all because the original contractor (myself included) thought the stuff was Gods gift to the building trade.
One more comment to anyone who thinks vinyl siding is a weather tight assembly... Take a hose to a vinyl house or wait for your basic driving rainstorm. Zip a few courses of the shit off the building and tell me its dry back there