Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
Neschenbrenner001's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 31
Default Starting an electrical panel building business.


Im looking to start an electrical panel building business. My problem is i don't know where to start i have the skills and tools to build the panels just don't know where or how to get work. Was just wondering if anyone on here has started a business or would have any advise for me.

Nick Eschenbrenner
Neschenbrenner001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Stuart in MN
Senior Member
Stuart in MN's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 8,320
Default Re: Starting an electrical panel building business.

Assuming you're in the US, and depending on what your market will be, you may have to get UL certification for your shop - UL508A for industrial panels, UL698A for panels used in hazardous areas.

This is from: http://askville.amazon.com/SimilarQu...lectrical-shop

Q: what do I have to do to obtain a UL 508A license? for my electrical shop? I already have a C-10 License (for electrical contracting) and I would like to obtain the UL 508A license
to be able to build electrical panels for customers (Accepting answers - asked 40 months ago)
A: You need an inspection from an OSHA recognized lab.

The UL 508A certification is given through inspection by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL). If you go to the OSHA site (http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/), about halfway down the page is a list of NRTLs. They do not all have the same programs, so you need to look for one that does UL 508A specifically. After that, you can choose one based on your location, and any other criteria you want to apply.

Good luck!
Sources: http://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.