Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
1BADLS1tuner

Default BUDGET garage... help, advice, opinions are welcome!

Ok guys im new to the forum and have been doing alot of research, this forum is great!

Im 25yo and just about have my house completely remodeled and paid off! So im looking to FINALLY build my garage/shop!!! Ive wanted one forever and am very excited, no more driveway work! I live in Nebraska so it will be so nice to have somewhere warm to work during the winter!

Obviously bigger is always better when it comes to garages. But I dont have alot of money lol. Thats why i will be building this myself with the occasional help of friends! It is a 32x48x12

I will keep the materials list updated so the next guy looking to build something similar to mine will have a pretty accurate estimate on how much it will cost!

Materials list...

permit - $309
Concrete 57 yards with fiber - $5920
Rebar - $180
Backhoe rental - $310
power trowel rental - $70
bull float rental - $25
Senco framing nailer - $300
grade stakes - $36
15) 2x6x12 forms - $83
hammer tacker stapler - $30
staples - $9

25) Trusses 4/12 32' - $2250
23) 2x2x8 soffit nailer - $35
13) 2x4x8 soffit lookout - $26
6) 2x4x12 Lateral Bracing - $20
3) 2x4x14 Lateral Bracing - $13
18) 2x4x16 Celing liner nailer - $83
4) 2x4x20 GBL Fly Rafter - $27
2) 2x6x8 WIndow header- $7
7) 2x6x10 Window Header - $31
174) 2x6x12 Wall Studs - $912
40) 2x6x16 Blocking - $295
2) 2x12x12 OH Door Header - $26
2) 2x12x18 OH Door Header - $46
1) 2x6x10 Treated sill plate - $6
1) 2x6x12 Treated sill plate - $7
7) 2x6x16 treated sill plate - $63
2) 1/2" plywood header spacers -$26
59) 7/16 osb wall sheathing - $412
3) 5 1/2" x 50' sill seal - $23
2) 3'x100' nova house wrap - $80
2) 10'x100' nova house wrap - $240
3) house wrap tape - $45
1) service door lockset - $23
11) 7/16 h clips - $39
46) rafter tie - $37

1) 3 1/4" galvanized nails - $85
1) 2 2/3" nails- $65
3) 30x60" vinyl window - $372
3) 30x48" vinyl window - $327
1) staples - $9

1) 16x10 insulated garage door - $992
1) 10x10 insulated garage door - $501
3/4HP garage door opener- $200
opener reinforcement - $15
rear track hanging kit-$18
10' chain extension-$64
3) 2x8x10 garage door trimmer - $32
1) 2x8x16 garage door trimmer - $12

65) 7/16 OSB - $453
2) Synthetic Felt- $200
4) Shingle starter strip- $58
64) Baltimore shingles - $1663
2) Hip and ridge- $84
1) 1 gal roof cement - $9
19) Style D roof edge- $72
2) 1 1/4" coil roofing nails - $54
1) senco roofing nailer - $200

1) GE 200AMP breaker box - $120
1) 200AMP Meter Box with disconnect- $110
1) 12-2 250' - $69
#3/0 service wire 40' - $172
#2/0 service wire 20' - $64
30) 20A commercial outlets- $60
6) light switch -$5
20) 15A outlets-$7
30) outlet plates -$6
2) 3 light switch plate -$2
3) 20A gfci breakers - $102
24) 32w 6500k lights-$66
12)48" shoplight- $215
2) motion detector lamps- $40
4) flood lights- $18

.................................................. ...............
Ill keep the list updated as i go!

Thanks guys!

Blaine

Last edited by 1BADLS1tuner; 12-09-2011 at 08:24 PM.
1BADLS1tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
TWX

Default Re: BUDGET garage... help, advice, opinions are welcome!

If you want to go big, it might not hurt to find out how much a metal building, installed, would cost. Here in Phoenix someone had one that, after they finished the back half as a mother-in-law suite, still had room for six cars in a 3xwide 2xdeep setup. Plus, if the metal beams are designed properly one could install a gantry type hoist system in it, or leave the possibility for one later down the road as money permits.

The nice thing about the metal building is that it's still shelter while uninsulated, and it can always be insulated or finished later. You could even refrain from pouring a concrete floor now, adding that later too, if you design the footings now to allow for that later. Just make sure to leave enough rooms for the trucks bringing the concrete.

Only thing I'm not personally knowledgeable about is snow safety. I would assume a metal building installer local to you would know how to build one safe for that.
TWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
1BADLS1tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWX View Post
If you want to go big, it might not hurt to find out how much a metal building, installed, would cost. Here in Phoenix someone had one that, after they finished the back half as a mother-in-law suite, still had room for six cars in a 3xwide 2xdeep setup. Plus, if the metal beams are designed properly one could install a gantry type hoist system in it, or leave the possibility for one later down the road as money permits.

The nice thing about the metal building is that it's still shelter while uninsulated, and it can always be insulated or finished later. You could even refrain from pouring a concrete floor now, adding that later too, if you design the footings now to allow for that later. Just make sure to leave enough rooms for the trucks bringing the concrete.

Only thing I'm not personally knowledgeable about is snow safety. I would assume a metal building installer local to you would know how to build one safe for that.
I will definetally check into a metal building, i just assumed that a stick building or a pole building would be substantially cheaper so i didnt even check...

cant hurt to check tho!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
1BADLS1tuner

OLD pictures i got off google earth, still has a for sale sign infront of it hahahahaha!

worked on cutting out some trees today (the ones separating what used to be 2 lots)...

Last edited by 1BADLS1tuner; 09-25-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
Falcon67

Foundation - if you are DIY, figure at least $1000~1500 additional materials. If you hire it out - recommended - double that budget figure or more. Research what it takes to put in a good foundation for your climate. No frost line here, so it's easy footers for me. Maybe not for you.

>Felt/tar paper- 9) $180

100x better for DIY if you are doing the roof yourself. Felt tears very easy and it'll take you a while to get shigles over the decking.
http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/.../UL-146C_1.pdf
Around $115 at Lowes if it's in stock. HD carries it online. Probably find it local for premium $$$. It goes up faster - 4' x 250 ' - and can be up there 6 months max with no shingles. Lighter than tar paper too.

Buy a safety harnness - I'll work 8' up "free climb" but 12', no thank you. We had a piece of decking get away today - no harm done thankfully.

Buy a nail gun (may already have this) - it will save you time in a big way. I'm using a Porter-Cable framing nailer. Best $150 spent so far - it shootes everything from the 6D siding nails to the 12D hot-dipped framing nails. Just dropped another $150 on a P-C roofing nailer that should easy be worth the money. Buy factory refub and you'll save $. I used nearly 500 #12s, on my second 1000 count box of 8D ring shank. Figure each piece of decking will eat 21~25 nails.

Be aware that anything metal going into or touching a piece of treated lumber must be hot dipped galvanized.

Draw up a plan - each wall, roof (you're using trusses no that's a no big deal), etc so you can make sure of your lumber count. It helps - I had 2 studs left from my plan out. I had 2 2x4x14s left but that's because I used some 2x6s from the scrap pile for facia backers.

Siding - I'm a fan of Jame Hardi products. They are more $ than fiber board but their stuff holds paint excellent and will easy outlast fiber/lumber anything if installed as recommended.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread

Last edited by Falcon67; 09-25-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
TWX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS1tuner View Post
I will definetally check into a metal building, i just assumed that a stick building or a pole building would be substantially cheaper so i didnt even check...

cant hurt to check tho!
Bear in mind that it's easier to acquire more money when it's spent than it is to reacquire more friends when they're spent.

I would much rather help a friend finish the inside of a building that's otherwise structurally sound and provides shelter where we can stop mid-project without any issues with literally abandoning the job, as opposed to helping with a build that has some time and labor-sensitive moments, and must be completed before the weather makes it degrade.
TWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
BWS

I'd be keeping a sensitive eye on the neighborhood.....for design queue's.It'll just look better than slappin something thats gonna stand-out.And when you end up in admist office arguing how/why your taxes went way up....it'll be a little easier if the structure looks like everything else.And always keep an eye on resale,good luck.BW
BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
1BADLS1tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon67 View Post
Foundation - if you are DIY, figure at least $1000~1500 additional materials. If you hire it out - recommended - double that budget figure or more. Research what it takes to put in a good foundation for your climate. No frost line here, so it's easy footers for me. Maybe not for you.

>Felt/tar paper- 9) $180

100x better for DIY if you are doing the roof yourself. Felt tears very easy and it'll take you a while to get shigles over the decking.
http://www.na.graceconstruction.com/.../UL-146C_1.pdf
Around $115 at Lowes if it's in stock. HD carries it online. Probably find it local for premium $$$. It goes up faster - 4' x 250 ' - and can be up there 6 months max with no shingles. Lighter than tar paper too.

Buy a safety harnness - I'll work 8' up "free climb" but 12', no thank you. We had a piece of decking get away today - no harm done thankfully.

Buy a nail gun (may already have this) - it will save you time in a big way. I'm using a Porter-Cable framing nailer. Best $150 spent so far - it shootes everything from the 6D siding nails to the 12D hot-dipped framing nails. Just dropped another $150 on a P-C roofing nailer that should easy be worth the money. Buy factory refub and you'll save $. I used nearly 500 #12s, on my second 1000 count box of 8D ring shank. Figure each piece of decking will eat 21~25 nails.

Be aware that anything metal going into or touching a piece of treated lumber must be hot dipped galvanized.

Draw up a plan - each wall, roof (you're using trusses no that's a no big deal), etc so you can make sure of your lumber count. It helps - I had 2 studs left from my plan out. I had 2 2x4x14s left but that's because I used some 2x6s from the scrap pile for facia backers.

Siding - I'm a fan of Jame Hardi products. They are more $ than fiber board but their stuff holds paint excellent and will easy outlast fiber/lumber anything if installed as recommended.

Good info! I appreciate your time!

I did not know that about the treated lumber!

Also, i hate felt paper lol.... that seems like an excellent alternative! Especially since it may take a while for me to get the shingles on....

Old 09-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
1BADLS1tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWX View Post
Bear in mind that it's easier to acquire more money when it's spent than it is to reacquire more friends when they're spent.

I would much rather help a friend finish the inside of a building that's otherwise structurally sound and provides shelter where we can stop mid-project without any issues with literally abandoning the job, as opposed to helping with a build that has some time and labor-sensitive moments, and must be completed before the weather makes it degrade.
VERY true, ive been the guy helping out to many times befor so i know how that goes!

Funny thing is im finally on the other end of the situation! Normally something involves me fixing a car in my driveway all night after a 12hr+ day at work to help a friend get back on the road, hahahahaha

I have a friend who is out of work right now and another i work with that could use the money... hoping to be able to help them both out a little

But sometimes things just dont work out as planned lol..
Old 09-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
1BADLS1tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWS View Post
I'd be keeping a sensitive eye on the neighborhood.....for design queue's.It'll just look better than slappin something thats gonna stand-out.And when you end up in admist office arguing how/why your taxes went way up....it'll be a little easier if the structure looks like everything else.And always keep an eye on resale,good luck.BW
Please dont remind me taxes are gonna go up substantially im sure lol....

I deffinetally want it to look nice, i want to redo the siding on the house when i do the garage (match)... the house is alsmost completely done inside, but the outside needs some attention since it still has the old asbestos siding on it

Thing is i dont have to match the house/garage since im commercially zoned and dont really have any neighbors lol... but im kinda wanting to clean the place up and make it look nice. Ive spent most of my time remodeling the inside since i bought it 9 months ago (and yes I did just get it paid off, i got it cheap! market is great for buying houses lol).... gonna start on the outside now!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #11
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Why are you zoned commercial ?

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:44 AM   #12
1BADLS1tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTTSGT View Post
Why are you zoned commercial ?
because my lot is next to a highway, the street is actually a highway that runs through town.... according to zoning here, any lot next to a highway is c3 zoned.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:51 AM   #13
1BADLS1tuner

I've been seriously considering a menards kit, almost seems cheaper than me buying everything separate.... And has all the little stuff included that I will probably forget or overlook.

Menards is an hour from my house and the local place is almost double price on everything, don't want to make several trips or end up buying a bunch of overpriced stuff locally...

how complete are these kits? Anyone have personal experience with one?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #14
5lima30

In looking at your material list I noticed that you had 2"x4"x12' studs. IMHO I would go with 2"x6"x12' for studs. 12' 2"x4" studs tend to be "willowy" and living in Nebraska you can get a lot more insulation in a 2"x6" wall. In 12' lengths I think you will find that 2x6 studs will not be that much more than 2x4 and would be money well spent. Looks like you've got a great spot to build!
5lima30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
1BADLS1tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lima30 View Post
In looking at your material list I noticed that you had 2"x4"x12' studs. IMHO I would go with 2"x6"x12' for studs. 12' 2"x4" studs tend to be "willowy" and living in Nebraska you can get a lot more insulation in a 2"x6" wall. In 12' lengths I think you will find that 2x6 studs will not be that much more than 2x4 and would be money well spent. Looks like you've got a great spot to build!

Yes I agree 2x6 would be better for snow load and horrible wind we get also!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #16
Salem747

I built a 24x31' (Zoning) garage with 60A service, about 150' from our house. It cost me about $35k. The slab had to be engineered, which I did myself, but was a thickened, rebarred slab. I had a guy do it for me cost about $10k. I did everything else myself. I bought a 10' 2x4" walled garage package from Home Despot that came with OSB'd pre-built walls and the trusses was about $8k. I put a steel roof on, was I think $2300. The rest was electrical, insulation, OSB interior walls etc, etc.
Salem747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #17
bofg33

I also live in Nebraska...If you are wanting to build a pole building I had a 30x50x10 built last spring by a company from Oklahaoma for $10500 and it took them a total of TWO days... Of course that didn't include any concrete and I had to contract someone else for the overhead doors... but total I had less than $15000 to get it weather tight..
bofg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
Daniel Dudley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofg33 View Post
I also live in Nebraska...If you are wanting to build a pole building I had a 30x50x10 built last spring by a company from Oklahaoma for $10500 and it took them a total of TWO days... Of course that didn't include any concrete and I had to contract someone else for the overhead doors... but total I had less than $15000 to get it weather tight..
Now THAT is a deal !
Daniel Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:30 AM   #19
1BADLS1tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofg33 View Post
That is a pretty good deal man!

I have been BUSY lately, working on tree removal, working at my day job, getting loan paperwork and all that fun crap done, getting building permit, calling digger hotline, doing a cam swap in a friends silverado in the driveway ....

Will dig the footings and work on the grade level and set forms for concrete this weekend!!!

Im hoping to pull mine off with $16k ish for a 30x50x12....

have decided to do a menards kit... $11,400 (cant believe how complete the materials list is!)
and concrete will be aproximately.... $ 3,500
Building permit..... $300
Equipment and tools, i have or can borrow for free! $0

This is all labor by myself and many friends, lol....... I know to plan for the unexpected, just hoping that i can keep it under $16k lol..

Last edited by 1BADLS1tuner; 10-13-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:09 AM   #20
Kalstar

Don't forget the thickness of the slab if you are planning the lift. I would recommend installing 6" of cret under where you plan to put yor lift. I would dig a 10x10 area a few inches deeper than the rest of the floor.
Kalstar is offline   Reply With Quote